• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you hype for the Masters Tournament? (Yes/No)

Are you hyped for the masters tournament??????????

• Total voters

TheNewGuy

Yeah, but not as much as I should have been. It's still an ultimate fanservice tournament and seeing the champions go at it like this will be really cool.

So the concept alone is carrying the hype pretty far. The execution has left a bit to be desired as they have already made a couple of pretty terrible errors.

vondecayle

Despite thinking it will be fairly predictable I still want to watch the whole thing. It is not every day that we get to see champions fighting each other. Too bad Iris defeated Alder and the Unova gym leaders offscreen.

Last edited:

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Not too surprised by the results. Journeys has a pretty shaky record. Furthermore, it doesn't help that the director outright admitted that the majority of Top 8 battles was initially going to be slides.
Yea, when the series director admits that they were gonna half ass the tournament that is the protagonist of 25 years’ goal of the current series, it says a lot about the level of care that actually went into this whole thing. Journeys can basically be summed up with the phrase a mile wide and an inch deep.

MegaSalamence05

When progress can be made on-screen instead of off-screen. Making me care about the Pokémon Ash actually uses. For me the connectivity isn't there. For as much of a fanservicy saga this has been. The whole Pokémon Coronation Series/World Championships have been a whole disappointment. Especially if this is Ash's send off. Like I get it you're not going to see a whole run from 10,000 to 1.

Coming from the Sun and Moon Saga where we saw Ash's team pretty much every episode with quality Character moments. Am I satisfied that Ash has a Dragonite, Gengar, and Lucario. (I'm not including Sirfetch'd and Dracovish because they were necessary). Yes, but I wished that we actually saw them a lot more than what we've gotten. Like the biggest training montage including all of Ash's Pokémon was perfect, actual on screen training, seeing more progress.

This saga had limitless potential and could've been the series single greatest saga ever put fourth. But it turned into missed opportunities. We could've seen unused Elite 4 members. What happened to Alder. But that was me putting to much expectations into a saga that was designed to include all 8 regions with limitless possibilities. My issue has been with the execution. Am I excited for the battles. In a sense yes. Ash vs Steven, Iris vs Cynthia are two battles that I'm really excited for. Ash vs Steven is something I wanted in the XYZ days. While Iris vs Cynthia completes Iris' character arc.

Last edited:

STICKTOPIA

At this point I’m more exited for project mew....forgive me
I can forgive you for saying that but for me personally the PWC can never be as bad as project mew.

MegaSalamence05

I'm scared that the tournament might be disrupted like the last two
Both tournaments prior were concluded, the Victor's were already decided. In Alain and Ash respectively. Both were awarded trophies than the disruptive events took place.

Team Flare arc and the singular Guzzlord episode.

Ultra Beast Lover

I think that one way they could've fixed this, besides giving the different match ups one-two episodes instead of just one, is by simply showing everyone's progress and having them interact in meaningful ways. A theme of this saga is passing the torch, right? Journey's set up had the perfect way to do that:

For Ash's Pokemon, have Gengar be mentored by Ash's Pokemon that were abandoned or otherwise abused by people. Have Lucario mentored by Ash's aces. Dracovish can be mentored by the water and dragon types. Dragonite can be mentored by, idk, the more affectionate ones. Sirfetched can be mentored by the cool and collected ones. Mr. Mime can, idk, be a mime. Devote at least one episode per new Pokemon where they learn a new move after an intense struggle, whenever it's a solo Go adventure, mention that Ash is training at Oak's. This'll give us a reason to root for them during the tournament because we got to see them grow, even if only a bit.

For the Masters 8, have each member do something meaningful with Ash and maybe Go. The reason I and possibly others love Cynthia so much, besides her power, is her mentor like relationship with Ash. So they could've done that. Give Ash a one episode, two episode max, adventure with each of the Master 8, Go and/or Chloe can even tag along. Have each one teach one of the characters something. Lance can teach Ash the true power of the Dragonite and how to bring that out, Steven could've helped Ash understand Dracovish in the episode where it was revived, Alain could help Ash master mega evolution, Diantha could have introduced Ash to Wikstrom so as to train Sirfetched. Iris' episode was fine I guess but one more adventure wouldn't have hurt. Cynthia's episode was fine to but, since her return wasn't really focused on during the episode, maybe she could've helped during the Dialga and Palkia two parter instead of Dawn.

Heck, they could've given Cynthia a villa and had Ash and the Master 8 mingle there for an episode, Team Rocket appears and does a thing that causes a problem, and each member uses their ace to launch an attack that sends the trio blasting off again. The episode could have a moment for each member to shine, making the viewer care about them even more. Obviously it'd be right before the tournament but it'd be something.

Pteranodonte

I think that one way they could've fixed this, besides giving the different match ups one-two episodes instead of just one, is by simply showing everyone's progress and having them interact in meaningful ways. A theme of this saga is passing the torch, right? Journey's set up had the perfect way to do that:

For Ash's Pokemon, have Gengar be mentored by Ash's Pokemon that were abandoned or otherwise abused by people. Have Lucario mentored by Ash's aces. Dracovish can be mentored by the water and dragon types. Dragonite can be mentored by, idk, the more affectionate ones. Sirfetched can be mentored by the cool and collected ones. Mr. Mime can, idk, be a mime. Devote at least one episode per new Pokemon where they learn a new move after an intense struggle, whenever it's a solo Go adventure, mention that Ash is training at Oak's. This'll give us a reason to root for them during the tournament because we got to see them grow, even if only a bit.

For the Masters 8, have each member do something meaningful with Ash and maybe Go. The reason I and possibly others love Cynthia so much, besides her power, is her mentor like relationship with Ash. So they could've done that. Give Ash a one episode, two episode max, adventure with each of the Master 8, Go and/or Chloe can even tag along. Have each one teach one of the characters something. Lance can teach Ash the true power of the Dragonite and how to bring that out, Steven could've helped Ash understand Dracovish in the episode where it was revived, Alain could help Ash master mega evolution, Diantha could have introduced Ash to Wikstrom so as to train Sirfetched. Iris' episode was fine I guess but one more adventure wouldn't have hurt. Cynthia's episode was fine to but, since her return wasn't really focused on during the episode, maybe she could've helped during the Dialga and Palkia two parter instead of Dawn.

Heck, they could've given Cynthia a villa and had Ash and the Master 8 mingle there for an episode, Team Rocket appears and does a thing that causes a problem, and each member uses their ace to launch an attack that sends the trio blasting off again. The episode could have a moment for each member to shine, making the viewer care about them even more. Obviously it'd be right before the tournament but it'd be something.
Nah, that would be actual good writing, something Pokémon never had in the last years.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Honestly, this entire setup could’ve been vastly improved by them doing what the games did with Leon where the point of the final tournament was for the ability to challenge him for his title rather than actually having him in the Masters 8 tournament. That way, half of the bracket wouldn’t be rendered completely meaningless by misfortune of existing on the same side as Leon especially since no matter who battles him, they’re nothing more than canon fodder.