• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you hype for the Project Mew?

?????

• Yes

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 44 50.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
it doesn't matter what formula they use
En64HPeXUAIc35C

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
I mean the old formula has it's flaws but let's not act that they didn't give us some of the best series in the franchise. Like DP. But old formula or not. If the shows writing isn't good, it doesn't matter what formula they use
Let’s be honest for a second: DP is a good season because people put on their nostalgia goggles and always think about the league, Paul and Infernape when talking about it. The 1 year gap between the 7th and 8th gym, Brock being insufferable, the deteriorating filler quality or the blandness of most gym battles is getting conveniently forgotten.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Let’s be honest for a second: DP is a good season because people put on their nostalgia goggles and always think about the league, Paul and Infernape when talking about it. The 1 year gap between the 7th and 8th gym, Brock being insufferable, the deteriorating filler quality or the blandness of most gym battles is getting conveniently forgotten.
Looking back, unironically dragging a series out 191 episodes just to have your MC lose at Top 4 to an unknown, have your other male MC have the character and personality of wet wood and have your girl companion's five item fetch quest extended to 10 stops with no real long-standing character-based development or narrative for any of them while copy-pasting the same general episode skeleton over and over for 50-80 episodes is nasty work.

DatsRight

Not to mention the padding episodes often being far more interchangable than modern ones, with COTD and TR spamming, and only one character return to look forward to instead of many.

Even the previous series from DP that at least had a backdrop change failed to keep this fresh.

It's not to say the modern series DON'T have serious issues (the pacing only seems to get worse as the show continues) but I appreciate their attempts to try new things and experiment on a consistent basis, meaning even if it's a hot mess sometimes it's an intriguing hot mess instead of a boring one. It's just come to a point that they need to slow down and develop on what they have at times.

I don't see why it has to be the extreme of either a consistent but utterly repetitive no-risks series or a slapdash one that just constantly throws new ideas at the wall without sticking to any.

Last edited:

Gingertail24

No DP is a good season because it's a good season. Yeah there are some flaws like the ones you mentioned. But people aren't liking it because "nostalgia goggles".

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
No DP is a good season because it's a good season. Yeah there are some flaws like the ones you mentioned. But people aren't liking it because "nostalgia goggles".
You’re free to like DP. But having a 1 year long break between the 7th and 8th gym is not some small flaw, it’s objectively one of the worst mistakes to happen in the entire anime. People are more than happy to criticize BW for the terrible Decolara Island arc, which at least was shorter happened after the important stuff.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
You’re free to like DP. But having a 1 year long break between the 7th and 8th gym is not some small flaw, it’s objectively one of the worst mistakes to happen in the entire anime. People are more than happy to criticize BW for the terrible Decolara Island arc, which at least was shorter happened after the important stuff.
Tbh the gap is overstated since there was still a lot of stuff happening with evolutions, contests, HGSS promos, and TG

Ultra Beast Lover

Each saga has had its flaws. I can't really speak for Kanto, Johto, or Hoenn since I didn't get the chance to really watch them but DP, while I loved it the most, did have some fatigue between certain gyms.

BW, while it did have one of my favorite arcs, tried way too hard to be like the original saga and Team Plasma got shoved to the end, not to mention the Decelore Islands or however you spell it, it ended up having a few rather unlikable characters, not to mention that League.

XY was fun but the Team Flare stuff got shoved to the end, the Amourshipping was severely mishandled, the continuity was lackluster at best, and the League's end will forever rest in infamy.

The Alola saga was the cute vacation saga but it started way too slowly, we were stuck on the one island forever, and the school idea was mishandled.

game3524

If the old formula returns, I hope the pacing is at least similar to Kanto and BW. There is no reason for a badge quest to drag out 100+ episodes especially now where the anime is becoming less reliant on promoting the newest games and generation.

DatsRight

If the old formula returns, I hope the pacing is at least similar to Kanto and BW. There is no reason for a badge quest to drag out 100+ episodes especially now where the anime is becoming less reliant on promoting the newest games and generation.
Really one of the biggest strong points of the show since lessening the formula is the fact it's allowed to be character driven. The protagonists aren't just reactive to COTD or TR causing all the schenanighans and are allowed to do drive stories on their own. It's quite cathartic seeing the height of Ash's role every episode be something other than "Pikachu Thunderbolt" on Team Rocket for the billionth time.

I feel like the Project Mew episodes are also something that would just be diluted further if they had to resort to the old formula again too. Expect tons of enemy mines against a bad Team Rocket interruption, or the legendary nearly always not being captured but befriended for getting the trio out their hair. Think the XY Zapdos episode.....OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

I do think travelling is maybe something they could readd more substance to, though I do like having a consistent supporting cast to go back to each series now.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Y'all really want gym battles, early route shitmon bird&first stage starter, "COTD #5906043 Satoshi and co. walking through a forest" and cute waifu girl companion with no goal back as the formula.

Watch Satoshi lose to Dande than send his Pokemon to the Sakuragi lab just to go to SV-land and find another "home base" to stay around akin to Melemele/Kuchiba.
If I’m being honest, yea, I’d take that over the home base format. Sure such a thing worked for Alola in which it worked with the theme of Alola’s culture, but in Journeys, it just made the world feel smaller and inorganic. At least with the old format the world felt alive and expansive.

Jangobadass

Surprise!
Tbh the gap is overstated since there was still a lot of stuff happening with evolutions, contests, HGSS promos, and TG

Right? I don't know why people talk about the gap between the Icicle and Beacon badges like it's SO bad. It worked was because there was a LOT going on in DP besides the Gym badge quest. They used that time effectively well to have Ash and Paul's first full battle, the Team Galactic climax, Dawn getting her last few Contests and the Grand Festival and both Ash and Dawn getting some new Pokemon.

Even then I could live without a Badge Quest if the Gym Leaders get to show up even without Ash battling them.
I'm less bothered by the lack of a Badge Quest in PM2019 than I am the Galar Gym Leaders being shafted for no reason... :(

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Hey they gotta promote PoGo and Let's Go, as well as their poster child for those games.
Honestly, I still say that for what they were going for, they should have just brought in Elaine as the co-protagonist rather than just inventing an OC for no reason.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm not opposed to the home base formula but it also has its drawbacks. Going on a journey worked because, like the games, it was the ultimate kid's fantasy. You got to leave home, see different sights, and take down corruption. However, that formula had the drawback of having certain generic stories like getting lost in the woods, an episode about a snowy area, not to mention how at times it could be a little odd how problems don't get fixed until the heroes happen to arrive. Also, it could take a long time to get to certain towns and cities.

The home base formula makes it so that the heroes can just go to a place without the in between stuff but it removes a very important aspect of Pokemon, something even Pokemon Go had, which is travelling. Not to mention, this formula caused the Galar Gym leaders to get the shaft

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'm not opposed to the home base formula but it also has its drawbacks. Going on a journey worked because, like the games, it was the ultimate kid's fantasy. You got to leave home, see different sights, and take down corruption. However, that formula had the drawback of having certain generic stories like getting lost in the woods, an episode about a snowy area, not to mention how at times it could be a little odd how problems don't get fixed until the heroes happen to arrive. Also, it could take a long time to get to certain towns and cities.

The home base formula makes it so that the heroes can just go to a place without the in between stuff but it removes a very important aspect of Pokemon, something even Pokemon Go had, which is travelling. Not to mention, this formula caused the Galar Gym leaders to get the shaft
Not to mention that this home base is apparently too roomy that Ash's Pokemon go MIA in many episodes for no reason.

DatsRight

I'm not a JN stan, nor do I hate DP. They both have really strong and really weak points, and at times they're both on opposite ends.

I tend to be more averse to the 'go back to the classic formula' argument because really, while it has some really fun moments, especially in Kanto and Orange Islands, the formula became lethargic by the end of Johto, that was before even ONE series had passed. It slowly became less an attempt at maintaining a distinct identity and format for the show and more an excuse to keep everything on autopilot and spend a lot of episodes not even trying to be creative or develop key areas, a key reason Shudo, one of the creators, left the show.

By XY, the last series to heavily follow the old formula, a lot of episodes were becoming insufferably bland and even seemed to be actively AVOIDING new more creative character driven ideas, something the newer series at least try to pull off. I do definitely understand a lot of the critique towards the newer series, especially JN, and it is probably wiser to settle down on some concepts now, but I have respect for it trying not to fall into the same lazy trapdoors as before and even reinnovating the stagnancy the show suffered from for so long, even if execution leaves a lot to be answered for.

Make no mistake however, what I'd prefer is for the creative team to learn from these experiences and make a rounded series with the best of both worlds while still having new ideas IN MODERATION that feel properly thought out. I feel like SM was the nearest to accomplishing this, and even then was a bit of a hot mess at times and VERY divisive with old and new fans. It really feels like JN should have nailed what they wanted to refine and develop from that series rather than quadrupling their random brainstorms.