• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you hype for the Project Mew?

?????

• Yes

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 44 50.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eevee903

You are awesome!
So to sum it up, the best written characters in Journeys were assistant Kikuna and the other one with glasses (I don’t remember his name) lol
I dont even blame people not liking PM tbh. Each time JN does something, you have no time to catch your breath, cause in the next episode something even more over the top is introduced. Hype is fine, but I am kinda getting tired of that kind of hype

Gingertail24

I dont even blame people not liking PM tbh. Each time JN does something, you have no time to catch your breath, cause in the next episode something even more over the top is introduced. Hype is fine, but I am kinda getting tired of that kind of hype
Same with me. Feels like each new title reveal is hype after hype

The pwc hype is definitely overshadowing PM. But I don't think that's solely the reason people aren't excited for PM

Toxic Drapion

Indifferent to Project Mew, but looking forward to seeing what's next for Ash and Goh. Going back to the old formula with Ash as the known world champ starting from zero in the Scarlet/Violet region in a mentor role like in AG with May would be ideal for me, with a Chronicles/Mega Evo Special like series on the side focussing on previous companions. JN episodic format really hurt this show as everything is rushed - and nothing is fleshed out/organic. Things that would have been a standard in previous series like Iris' Haxorus and Pikachu not interacting despite their friendship in BW, Ash and Alain not interacting, Cynthia catching up properly with Ash and Iris etc - because everything has to be crammed into one ep. Not to mention all the rushed battles. Also teleporting to different regions takes out the travelling aspect which was integral to the show imo, giving it a different feel.

That was XYZ’s downfall. Too much hype that they didn’t deliver on.

DatsRight

That was XYZ’s downfall. Too much hype that they didn’t deliver on.
The difference is that XYZ had quiet periods, in fact sometimes TOO often. I remember long periods of really dull fillers between the big hype episodes with maybe a five second Flare/Alain cameo here and there, which likely didn't help the controversy afterwards since it made fans feel like they'd been duped into sitting through crap.

JN has the opposite problem of trying to deliver too much at once at the expense of execution, even if it has had some good episodes in there too.

Jibanyan

Who said DP was bad? People were complaining about these issues before the "modern" era of Pokemon anime back in the day.

I just said it's regressive and bland to go from experimenting or doing new things just...to go repeat the same formula they for two decades? I'm not saying this formula should stay, but I don't think a return to a formula and writing style like that in the 2020-era is necessary or even interesting. It's just lazy and low-effort. I'm all for moving ahead and bringing some new and cool concepts into the fold rather than relying on one formula or the other. Many anime and shows can do it all and experiment, I get a sense of passion at times from the Pokemon world during OS - Kanto for example that hasn't been replicated quite as effectively. Instead of trying to recapture that create and excel at something it can do, that Lillie&Gladion return episode was a perfect example of modern Pokemon's better approaches, character-building.
I fail to see how JN is more character driven and has better character building, I really do, look at Koharu and how inconsistent Goh is written. Lillie episode was good because of the building up in SM, same with other returns.
I don't like how people act like JN and SM are similar when some elements of them are literally the opposite (the handling of Ash's Pokemon, how many Alola characters appeared vs how many Galar characters) it feels like people know JN has lots of issues so they latch onto SM, a better series, to try to downplay JN flaws.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
JN may be character driven only through Goh, but even then, he's very inconsistent (cries about stolen data, but he's totally fine enough with Inteleon being kidnapped into an alternate universe...what?), and the narrative continuously forces him to work with jerks to force any drama while tolerating Ash is basically like tolerating a rock that doesn't do anything to inconvenience Goh (remember, Goh used to see everyone like Ash as weirdos, not just the jerks, but now he's not put-off by friendly weirdos who should have made him act like a jerk in turn). It is certainly not character driven through Ash, who's more of an empty slate consuming every foe in his path and he doesn't learn any sort of character development (his Pokemon do, but it's extremely shallow because it's all about beating their new personal and very temporary rivals being the aces of the foe Ash is fighting).

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
JN may be character driven only through Goh, but even then, he's very inconsistent (cries about stolen data, but he's totally fine enough with Inteleon being kidnapped into an alternate universe...what?),
He was upset because the stolen data represented the bonds and memories of him capturing those Pokémon, like a parent losing an album of pictures of their children and family in a house fire or something. He was also upset and yelled for Inteleon several times as it got kidnapped and immediately made it through the gate with Hikari. Did you watch the episodes or did I just fall for bait?

I fail to see how JN is more character driven and has better character building, I really do, look at Koharu and how inconsistent Goh is written.
I said “modern” Pokémon as in newer age series being more character driven and narrative driven than just revolving around the goals of the characters and battling. A large amount of newer series focus on a characters personhood versus goal progression or battling.

Lillie episode was good because of the building up in SM, same with other returns.
I don't like how people act like JN and SM are similar when some elements of them are literally the opposite (the handling of Ash's Pokemon, how many Alola characters appeared vs how many Galar characters) it feels like people know JN has lots of issues so they latch onto SM, a better series, to try to downplay JN flaws.
Literally I’ve seen no one doing that? Most people liken these series because they have the same animation style and it’s one of the first times in ages a series has seamlessly flowed into the next like OS to AG. It doesn’t feel like SM is “separate” from PM. Where as XY/SM felt very cut off.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
He was upset because the stolen data represented the bonds and memories of him capturing those Pokémon, like a parent losing an album of pictures of their children and family in a house fire or something.
He didn't lose the actual Pokemon, so there shouldn't have been any crying per-se. Memories are better stored in the mind than digitally stored somewhere.

...And besides, people make backups of important stuff like that and put them safe somewhere else. But then again, Cerise's lab has the crappiest security ever (or lacks one) that a small dangerous Pokemon can mutilate anyone in there at night, which only made that episode's drama overly forced because of overall stupidity.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
He didn't lose the actual Pokemon, so there shouldn't have been any crying per-se. Memories are better stored in the mind than digitally stored somewhere.
If I lose an album of precious photos of my family from when we were children even though they’re still alive, I will be upset. It’s about the sentimentality of it. Go lost data of his “adult” Aceburn from when it was a “child” Hibunny and “teenage” Rabbifoot that’s where his emotional struggle comes from that makes Jimeleon stand up and take action at the sight of its hurting and turmoiled trainer which breaks it out of its solitude and triggers evolution.

...And besides, people make backups of important stuff like that and put them safe somewhere else.
Well if the Sakuragi Institute functioned like that we’d have no story :p

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
If I lose an album of precious photos of my family from when we were children even though they’re still alive, I will be upset. It’s about the sentimentality of it. Go lost data of his “adult” Aceburn from when it was a “child” Hibunny and “teenage” Rabbifoot that’s where his emotional struggle comes from that makes Jimeleon stand up and take action at the sight of its hurting and turmoiled trainer which breaks it out of its solitude and triggers evolution.
Well, I wouldn't let someone else keep that data safe for me, which is what Goh did here.

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
JN may be character driven only through Goh, but even then, he's very inconsistent (cries about stolen data, but he's totally fine enough with Inteleon being kidnapped into an alternate universe...what?), and the narrative continuously forces him to work with jerks to force any drama while tolerating Ash is basically like tolerating a rock that doesn't do anything to inconvenience Goh (remember, Goh used to see everyone like Ash as weirdos, not just the jerks, but now he's not put-off by friendly weirdos who should have made him act like a jerk in turn). It is certainly not character driven through Ash, who's more of an empty slate consuming every foe in his path and he doesn't learn any sort of character development (his Pokemon do, but it's extremely shallow because it's all about beating their new personal and very temporary rivals being the aces of the foe Ash is fighting).

all I read from this is whining, whining, and more whining. The second that someone who hates Goh actually comes up with solid reason to dislike him besides the wishy-washy emotional appeals (and lack thereof) is the moment that I’ll maybe hear it out.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
What are those newer series? And what characters for PM? Just Koharu and Goh?
The Aether’s family’s estrangement and Gladion/Lillie’s hang ups from her childhood. Go being a lonely and friendless social awkward guy? Iris’s issues with her own immaturity and empathy? Serena’s whole thing with participating in the Skiddo race against her mom to prove her worth in going for her goal? OS - DP in-comparison focused far more on the Pokémon-centric aspects of the humans than their own emotions, Go probably has one of those most intense cases of being a character first before a trainer.

all I read from this is whining, whining, and more whining. The second that someone who hates Goh actually comes up with solid reason to dislike him besides the wishy-washy emotional appeals (and lack thereof) is the moment that I’ll maybe hear it out.
I won’t pretend the kid’s perfect, he’s has his issues I’m just confused because a lot of these takes are misses. I suppose it’s step up from the “psychopath” and “hoarder/thief” nonsense from last year. He stole a Sarunori from the Rockets they were going to send off to a “re-education camp” to become a properly evil Pokémon.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I don't hate him. I dislike him. Though you have to agree that he is inconsistent and gets through life without much effort.

Remember, this is the kid who can use his Pokemon as makeshift Batman tools, but then the next episode, he is as dumb as Ash or has to appear as a passenger at best or incompetent at worst so that Ash can shine more.

Gingertail24

I get where your coming from, but just because you personally don't agree why someone dislike a character doesn't mean it isn't a solid reason. It's not like goh character writing isn't without flaws. Like any other character in the show

DatsRight

I find it hard to get TOO annoyed with Goh since he often only represents problems MANY previous main characters, even ones in the 'classic' era had, the lack of compelling agency and fluid arc handling and undeveloped Pokemon teams was there from day one. I always felt a ton of the twerps were plot armoured their whole run outside a few really key arc episodes where the writers bothered to branch out of the old formula. It's annoying they STILL haven't figured this out after two+ decades, but Goh is hardly the definition of all these problems.

If anything Goh represents a lot of the 'step foward, step backward' handling the newer series have in that he does at least have the benefit of sometimes subverting the old formulaic approach with fun synergies and interactions (he's a MALE companion with co-star treatment, was that even thinkable in early seasons?), but his arc handling is kinda slapdash and often feels like a mish mash of ideas thought on the fly that could have been good if they were given more time.

Eevee903

You are awesome!
I find it hard to get TOO annoyed with Goh since he often only represents problems MANY previous main characters, even ones in the 'classic' era had, the lack of compelling agency and fluid arc handling and undeveloped Pokemon teams was there from day one. I always felt a ton of the twerps were plot armoured their whole run outside a few really key arc episodes where the writers bothered to branch out of the old formula. It's annoying they STILL haven't figured this out after two+ decades, but Goh is hardly the definition of all these problems.

If anything Goh represents a lot of the 'step foward, step backward' handling the newer series have in that he does at least have the benefit of sometimes subverting the old formulaic approach with fun synergies and interactions (he's a MALE companion with co-star treatment, was that even thinkable in early seasons?), but his arc handling is kinda slapdash and often feels like a mish mash of ideas thought on the fly that could have been good if they were given more time.
Gou as a character is fine. His goal and development just sucks. They throw in PM in the middle of series. It comes off as very random. Same with Koharu tbh.