• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you okay with electroweb or Volt tackle should return?

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
I'm fine with Electroweb. It gives Ash another strategic move (where his only one seemed to be Quick Attack for the longest time) and he got a powerful enough electric move with Thunderbolt.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
While I miss Volt Tackle since it's the Pikachu line's signature move, I think Electroball & Electro Web were both the better choice since they fit with Pikachu's strengths a lot more. Plus, Electro Web seems better over all since Ash has been able to find a lot of various uses for it.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm not a fan of letting Volt Tackle go but Electro Web is a cool move and the anime is using it effectively.

Honestly, I think Thunderbolt or even Quick Attack should have gone instead of Volt Tackle. It's kind of weird that Pikachu would lose its species' signature move.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I never liked either move that much, but at least Volt Tackle seemed slightly more organic to me since it was essentially Pikachu combining Thunderbolt and Quick Attack into a much stronger move. I also thought its animation was cool.

Red and Blue

Volt Tackle was cool but between it and Quick Attack, I'd choose the latter. Quick Attack capitalizes on Pikachu's speed gimmick.

Of course this wouldnt be an issue if Pokemon in the anime weren't limited to just four moves like the games

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Eh I think both moves are kinda overrated. I think I like Volt Tackle a teenie bit more just because the idea of Pikachu making a web out of electricity doesn't feel in character I guess? He's not a spider so it's just weird to think about.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I’ve grown to love Electroweb especially with how the writers readjusted their past mistake of replacing Volt Tackle with Electro Ball. There’s no point in remembering Volt Tackle when Pikachu already know Quick Attack and Ash has incorporated sneaky strategies using Electroweb.

DatsRight

The writers have been impressively clever with Electroweb so far. Admittedly is an odd move to give Pikachu in particular, at the time I was more expectant of one of Sophocles' Pokemon learning it, especially Charjabug. Maybe they wanted one thing for Pikachu to take from Alola to show he was more versatile, plus it was an ideal strategic move to show how deceptively clever he and Ash were.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
^Also there's that whole "Pikachu learns a move every odd-numbered generation" pattern people sometimes point out.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Volt Tackle will never be overtaken, I'm glad the move that replaced it finally left but I don't really care a whole lot about Electro Web. It's okay and at least unique, unlike Electro Ball where it felt like it replaced Volt Tackle just to save a few bucks. Electro Ball is boring as hell and super bland, hence why I always refer to it as Electro Snooze. I'm glad that it's been utilized a few times in the newer series, at a more steady rate than the saga it debuted in! But I await the day it gets replaced with something else, Pikachu's a rat, Electro Web should be something only bugs have lol

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
Maybe they wanted one thing for Pikachu to take from Alola to show he was more versatile, plus it was an ideal strategic move to show how deceptively clever he and Ash were.

To me it felt more like they gave Pikachu Electroweb simply for the sake of changing his moveset. I was never a big fan of Electro Ball either for the same reason.

DatsRight

Electroweb is an odd choice, but it was at least one that punctuated Ash and Pikachu's more resourceful streak. They're powerhouses primarily, so having a more strategic move was a cool way to diversify.

It also seemed to tie in with SM's theme, where pretty much every student's main Pokemon got some sort of key upgrade to demonstrate the trainer growing out of their comfort zone more (eg. Turtonator gaining Shell Smash to show it no longer just relied on being a tank).

Blastmaster

I always got the feeling they purposely got rid of Volt Tackle to downplay Pikachu's power with 5th gen trying to soft-reboot the franchise. And since they couldn't go back, they just rolled with it for a while until finally giving it a more creative move in Electroweb.

I can't say I never miss Volt Tackle, but Electroweb definitely made the best of a bad situation and you gotta credit how much the writers have put into proving its worth. Electroweb compliments Ash's resourcefulness incredibly well but Volt Tackle was always such a strong symbol of Pikachu's power and experience.