• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you playing as a boy or a girl. why?

Boy or Girl

• Boy

Votes: 78 60.5%
  • Girl

Votes: 64 49.6%

• Total voters

Truly Deceptive

It is I: ME!
I always use the male character in the games. Partly because it's never felt as relatable to play as a female character for me, personally. Also, it's misleading to play as a character of the opposite gender when performing trades (Trainer ID) and battles, et cetera.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I always play the male character.
Though I got both version this gen, so I play a male character in my main game on Y, and a girl character on X.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I play as a guy the vast majority of the time, just because I am one. Simple as that, really. =p And after all, given the lack of characterisation for Pokémon protagonists in the main games, it's more about the Pokémon for me.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Boy in my main campaign (X) because I am biologically male.
Girl in my alternate campaign (Y) because the female has so many more options for dress than males!

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
In my main game, I play as the girl character since I am a girl myself.

I play as the Male character in my side game because I can and I want to.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I play as a boy because not only am I one but I actually like to have a character that is as close as it can to me. Just to make the overall playthrough better, I guess. I simply imagine myself as the player better when I play as the male character because I obviously am one.
I used to play half of the time as the girl, depending on whether I prefered the boy or the girl's outfit and design. For example, I think Leaf, May, Dawn, Rosa and Serena look better than their male counterparts. I ended up playing as May and Dawn (in one of my Black playthrough as Hilda as well) in my Sapphire and Diamond versions. But one day I restarted all my main games and I set myself on one specific gender; my real one. Ever since that day, I learned to appreciate the boy characters and look at them in depths. I'm a real fan of Brendan and Lucas now, but my opinion on Red and Nate stays neutral. I really dislike Callem's design as well, but the way mine is customized in-game makes it really awesome.
Plus, I prefer when the female counterpart is your rival, in cases where it happens. Even if I was playing as the girl, I felt like a boy inside with only male rivals and I felt the lack of feminity in the relationships I had between my rivals.

Last edited:

HMSSparky

Team Rocket Trainee
I play as a boy (I am female by the way) because I do actually prefer most of the customisation in XY, the girl's clothes don't really appeal to me. Also I just like to play as a male character given the option in most video games (apart from Bethesda games). I'm not sure if it's because I'm very tomboyish, though I hate that term, or if it's because I find male characters more interesting. Back to Pokemon, I perfer having Serena as a rival because it's satisfying when I beat her. I really don't like Serena.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
The male player.

Since XY is the first main game with trainer customization, I wanted to try putting myself into the game with the feature. The options are more limited than the girls, but I've managed to find a couple of looks that suit me.

gliscor&yanmega

Male as I am male. I've played as both in past games because...why not, might play as the female on X once I get around to restarting it.

Mr. Ribbles

Cubchoo Lover
Male. I'm a guy anyways, so...

Though if I ever do another run of Y, I'm going to pick the girl. She has a ton of better customization options, just sayin'

Ketaru

I'm a guy so I play a male. Whenever I play multiplayer games with character appearance customization, I like to think I'm just using the character avatar as a proxy for myself that others see. Therefore, I like to make it as representative as possible.

He even wears clothes that are similar to what I would wear. I tend to wear earthy colored pants and a green shirt. This past winter, I often wore a green hoodie, and my character was changed to reflect that. As the weather I getting warmer, I just changed it to a green logo t-shirt.

Last edited:
Since I'm a female, I usually play as the female for my first runthrough and then the male for my alternate game. However, I'm currently playing as a female on X simply because the customization is better.

WaterTypesFTW

Shiny Hunter
I normally play as the boy characters (and I am a girl) mainly because I prefer the male character models over the female character models (Except for Black and White, I liked both of their models)

When I was younger I did play as the female characters because I had this mindset that if I'm a girl in real life, then I am limited to just playing as the girl characters (starting from the Crystal game, of course). Then I met a friend who always played as the boy characters because ever since Pokemon Red she had the habit of always playing as the boy character and naming him Red. So, because there was a girl who preferred to play as the boy characters, since then I always pick the boy character and named him after his manga counterpart.