• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you Tired of the Fire/Fighting Starter Type?

Is the Fire/Fighting starter getting old?

• Yes

Votes: 109 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 24 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dislike the Idea, but, even if I dissgree, nothing will be changed anyway

We've had three pure-Water starters.
We've had three pure-Grass starters.
We've had three Fire/Fighting starters.

Waiting til next gen before deciding, cause right now, it's not bothering me.

Maru90

POCKET MEN ANYONE?
I'm definitely fine with the comeback of the typing. In fact I was sad about gen.V because I thought the fire/fighting 'era' was over but...*happyface! I'm just not a big fan of the new fire/fighting starter's looks. Blaziken is the coolest IMO

It's a very unique typing and for those who like the type but didn't like Blaziken, for example; well now there's bound to be one they like at least a little.

I love fire/fighting so I'm fine as long as they don't go with it in gen 6

yeminied

At first I thought WTF? A third Fire/Fighting starter, of all Pokémon, the starter.

But then I din't mind. Now that we have three Fire/Fighting Types there is bound to be one that can fit around your team.

They all have different base stat distributions that can be useful for whatever purpose.

Emboar has monster HP and the highest Attack of them all.

Infernape is the fastest of them all while having the lowest Attack and second highest special attack, however they all are rather high for attacking stats.

Blaziken is more all round for the three of them, but that's my interpretation.

Sure, there are three Fire/Fighting Types but that's all. What about all the Grass/Poison types or Normal/Flying types that are useless to battle with (coughFarfetch'dcough).

Ememew

Emerald Mew
Since someone made a comment about Fire/Fighting being one of the only good combos for Fire, I decided to look up what Fire DOES pair with well (did this while avoiding homework). Note: I'm not a competitive battler, so I can't provide opinions from that standpoint. I'll start with the three we have. Sorry if this is a little long.
w = weak to, r = resists, i = immune to, * = both types weak/resistant to

Pure Fire: W: water, ground, rock. r: fire, grass, ice, bug, steel. i: none. Typhlosion.

Fire/Fighting: w: water, ground, flying, psychic. r: fire, grass, ice, bug*, dark, steel. i: none. Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar. Done 3 times, and the overall reason for this thread.

Fire/Flying: w: water, electric, rock*. r: fire, grass*, fighting, bug*, steel. i: ground. Charizard.

Now for some "new" stater type possibilities.

Fire/Water: Unless starters will suddenly start sharing the three main types with each other, this is unlikely, but anyway: w: electric, ground, rock. r: fire*, ice*, bug, steel*. i: none

Fire/Grass: like Fire/Water, unlikely that a starter will get another starters' type through evolving, but here it is anyway: W: poison, flying, rock. r: electric, grass*, steel. i: none.

More viable options.

Fire/Normal: Adds a fighting weakness and a ghost immunity. Otherwise, stays the same as pure Fire. Could be viable. I like it, anyway.

Fire/Electric: w: water, ground*, rock. r: fire, electric, grass, ice, flying, bug, steel*. i: none. The dual Ground weakness hurts, especially with how common Earthquake is, but that's the only weakness added. At least it could hit Waters back with STAB Electric moves.

Fire/Ice: w: fighting, ground, rock*. r: grass, ice*, bug. i: none. The large Stealth Rock weakness is the biggest problem here. Not that they're unwilling to have a starter face a large SR weakness (Charizard). At least it isn't hit by Hail . . .

Fire/Poison: w: water, ground*, psychic, rock. r: fire, grass*, ice, fighting, poison, bug*, steel. i: none, but immune to being inflicted with the Poison/Toxic condition. Duel Ground weakness doesn't look good, though.

Fire/Ground: w: water*, ground. r: fire, poison, bug, steel. i: electric. 4x Water weakness, but Stealth Rock weakness gets canceled out.

Fire/Psychic: w: water, ground, rock, ghost, dark. r: fire, grass, ice, fighting, psychic, steel. i: none. At least nothing doubles up . . .

Fire/Bug: w: water, flying, rock*. r: grass*, ice, fighting, bug, steel. i: none. Yeah, 4x rock again . . .

Fire/Rock: W: water*, fighting, ground*, rock. r: normal, fire*, ice, poison, flying, bug. i: none. This one doesn't look too good, 2 4x weaknesses and still weak to Rock.

Fire/Ghost: w: water, ground, rock, ghost, dark. r: fire, grass, ice, poison, bug*, steel. i: normal, fighting. Same weaknesses as Fire/Psychic, but at least it gets immunities.

Fire/Dragon: If they'd ever make a part-Dragon evolved starter, anyway. w: ground, rock, dragon. r: fire*, electric, grass*, bug, steel. i: none.

Fire/Dark: w: water, fighting, ground, rock. r: fire, grass, ice, ghost, dark, steel. i: psychic. Well, nothing doubles up in either weakness or resistance.

Fire/Steel: w: water, fighting, ground*. r: normal, grass* ice*, flying, psychic, bug*, ghost, dragon, dark, steel*. i: poison. While it has a 4x Ground weakness, the Stealth Rock weakness is canceled out (similar to Fire/Ground, just a different weakness magnified).

While Grass and Water have been pure-types the same amount as Fire/Fighting has appeared, I think F/F is more noticible because it's a dual type. There are some viable typings other than Fighting that don't look all that bad (I think Normal looks good, and maybe even electric, ground, steel, dark, and ghost). Once again, I don't battle competitively, so I don't know.

Personally, it doesn't bug me since I usually don't use the same starter type twice in a row for my first play through of a game, and I used Fire first recently, so I'll be picking a different starter. Just thought I'd throw this up for people who were curious.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Here's a little food or thought. I put this info in the Pokemon trivia section, but I guess I'll mention it here.

While the last three final evos of the starters are Fire/Fighting, the first two fire starter final evolutions had the exact same base stats.

And to answer the question, no.

Frostcat

Icy Cool
I was REALLY looking forward to a new fire type. The way it had been going, I was expecting either a pure fire type, or a nifty combination. Fire/Dark perhaps. I was also hoping for new type combos for each starter.

Water/Fighting
Fire/Dark
Grass/Steel

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Fire/Fighting for the 3rd time straight? No kidding. Yeah I'm tired of it. On top of that two of the fire starters are monkey and pig. Seriously couldn't they find any other creatures other than those two filthy ones.

Anywho what happened to Charizard? How come it's still Fire/Flying, and not a Fire/Dragon? Blaziken got a speed boost or whatever, it's not fair.

Fire/Fighting for the 3rd time straight? No kidding. Yeah I'm tired of it. On top of that two of the fire starters are monkey and pig. Seriously couldn't they find any other creatures other than those two filthy ones.

Anywho what happened to Charizard? How come it's still Fire/Flying, and not a Fire/Dragon? Blaziken got a speed boost or whatever, it's not fair.
What is the problem with a monkey and a pig? I really don't see the problem.

It didn't get a speed boost, it got the abillity Speed Boost, Charizard also got a new abillity, Solar Power, however that is not nearly as good as Speed Boost. Charizard would have been hugely owwerpowered as part Dragon anyway.

A little more on topic: Yeah I am tired of that, I am also tired of the pure Grass and Water starters, I think Emboar could easely have been part Dark and Daikenki Fighting.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Is this even a question? We've got the Bulky version in Blazekien, whose getting speed boost anyway, and the glass cannon version in Infernape. There's no other archetype left to take the combo into.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I like all the fire fighting type pokemon, they're all awesome!

FireKero!

SWABLR
SOOOOO unoriginal. 3 generations in a row isn't even trendy, that's just damn lazy. Mintendo, get your **** together. I could honestly CARE LESS about the type...I love the design of the pokemon, but really? 3 generations now, spanning how many years we've been reliant on a fire/fighting type. There was a handful of other types that could've been chosen to...

Aurath8

Is this even a question? We've got the Bulky version in Blazekien, whose getting speed boost anyway, and the glass cannon version in Infernape. There's no other archetype left to take the combo into.

Blaziken is no way near bulky at all. 80/70/70 defences is very similar to Inernape's 76/71/71. Blaziken is simply pure power. Infernape's a glass cannon alright.
Emboar is the bulky one. 110/65/65 defences are pretty decent and it also devotes a lot to attack, similar levels to Blaziken. Emboar is also pitifully slow at 65 base, especially compared to Blaziken's 80(it gets Speed Boost anyway) and Infernape's 108.
Emboar is a bulky sweeper unlike the others. He stat boosts his attack and defences with Curse/Bulk Up and smashes through with little damage caused to himself.
They have the same typing but wholly different strategies attached to them.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Blaziken is no way near bulky at all. 80/70/70 defences is very similar to Inernape's 76/71/71. Blaziken is simply pure power. Infernape's a glass cannon alright.
Emboar is the bulky one. 110/65/65 defences are pretty decent and it also devotes a lot to attack, similar levels to Blaziken. Emboar is also pitifully slow at 65 base, especially compared to Blaziken's 80(it gets Speed Boost anyway) and Infernape's 108.
Emboar is a bulky sweeper unlike the others. He stat boosts his attack and defences with Curse/Bulk Up and smashes through with little damage caused to himself.
They have the same typing but wholly different strategies attached to them.

My mistake- we have a tank and glass cannon.

But 65 in both defenses isn't nightmarishly bulky; you need Snorlax level HP to pull that off, which 110 is not, and it's vulnerable as it is with just base 65 physical defense. I've never run a serious Bulk Up set so I may be talking out of my unknowning rear end here.

YES!!! I do get tired of that, but fire&fighting is a great combo :)so I'll still using it, but my fav fire&fighting type will always be Blaziken <3
hope the next gen got a new fire combo type:/

RedMage23

The Red Mage
I have no problem with it. If they do it again, it'll start to get tired.

Teddiursa11

I love Honey,Teddi
Yes, It's so boring.
Theres no Fire/Psychic or Fire/Bug Starters which would be fun.
The same old moves Like Mach Punch,Close Combat, Is boring

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
when I first heard about it I was seriously PO'ed, but in comparison to the other 2 It's my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.