• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Armaldo - VGC 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P

[Overview]

<p>While Armaldo faces stiff competition from other swift swim sweepers, most notably Kingdra and Kabutops, he can, nevertheless, work on any a Rain team. He has 125 base attack, better than both of the above said sweepers, and he has a great offensive typing with Rock/Bug. However, there are his flaws. Common weaknesses in Rock, Water, and Steel makes him not as great as you first thought. Not only that, but he doesn't get a water physical stab to benefit from rain(his only physical water attack, Aqua Tail, isn't legal with Swift Swim) Regardless of theses flaws, he can take out both T-Tar and Abomasnow with his STAB attacks, and works just as well in Trick Room and Sandstorm as he does Rain.</p>

[SET]
Rain Sweeper

Armaldo @ Life Orb/Sitrus Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Earthquake/Brick Break
- Protect

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set purpose is to bring out the full potential of Armaldo. X-Scissor is STAB and deals heavy damage to major threats in this metagame, including Cresselia, Lati@s, Musharna, and the two weather starters, T-Tar and Abamasnow. Rock Slide is preferred for doubles, as you hit both pokemon and get a flinch chance, and it's STAB, but Stone Edge can be used if you want to one pokemon for more power. The Last slot is Deepening on what you want to use. Earthquake hits all pokes on the field, so team synergy is needed if you want to use Earthquake. Brick Break hits one pokemon for the same amount of damage EQ would if there are 2 other pokes on the field, but it hits only one pokemon. Protect is staple, why bother.</p>

[ADDITIONAL OPTIONS/COMMENTS]

<p>If you problems with the other two weather starters, you can use this. Or, if you just need the power, the Armaldo is your guy

Swords Dance can be used in the 3rd slot to boost his Atk stat to 388. However, with his common Water, Rock, and Steel, Brick Break/Earthquake is recommened for coverage, unless you have team support.</p>

Trick Room Sweeper

Armaldo @ Life Orb/Sitrus Berry
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
0 Speed IV's

X-Scissor
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Earthquake/Brick Break
Protect

<p>Same Sweeper, different way of doing it. While the first one uses Rain to solve his Speed Problems, this set uses his 45 base speed and turns him into a TR sweeper. X-Scissor and Rock Slide are again STAB attacks, and Stone Edge can be used to hit one poke harder. Earthquake and Brick Break, the question is up to the user.</p>

[ADDITIONAL OPTIONS/COMMENTS]

<p>He works great in Sand, increasing his Sp.Def Stat to better levels, adding to his natural 75/100/80 bulk. Again, the only reason you would use this is if you're using Sand, as fight types can take care of the other weather inducers.

Curse, like SD in the Rain Set, can be used to increase his attack while making him bulkier and slower in TR. But Again, Coverage is usually better for the armor bug, unless you give it team support.

Swords Dance turns him into a powerhouse, but again, coverage > power.</p>

[Checks and Counters]- Rain Set

<p>Fight Types resist both STABs and hit back neutral with Their STABs

Kingdra and other faster rain sweepers can outspend and kill it with STAB rain boosted water attacks

Intimidate ruins Armaldo, and pokes like Hitmontop, who is a fighting type, or Gyarados, who is a water type, even with his flying weakness, weaken it and, in Gyrados case, do back heave damage with Waterfall</p>

[Checks and Counters]- TR set

<p>Fight types again work very well in resisting both STABs attacks and KOing

Slower TR pokes, like Ammonguss, ruin his day with spore spam.

Intimidate, lowers his attack, making his attacks less painful.</p>

[Checks and Counters]- Both

<p>Steel pokemon such as Metagross and Scizor, are neutral to at least one of his STAB (Metagross Bug, Scizor Rock) and hit back with powerful STAB steel attacks. Scizor in particular has Bullet Punch, so he can do Priority and KO the Rock Bug</p>

Ice Blue Dragon

I belive I can fly!
I don't think Armaldo is that good in doubles. Weak to aqua jet, bullet punch, surf, rock slide. The list goes on...

It might work as a swift swim sweeper (say that 5 times fast.) with proper support. Sience this is doubles, it dosn't need to worry about steath rock.

Last edited:

PokeMaster366

Armaldos are very rare, if not non-existant, in doubles and ^ he's not weak to earthquake or Mach Punch thanks to his bug typing. Armaldo seems like someone who is a late-game sweeper anyway.

Zachmac

Armaldo belongs in rotation, not in doubles....

Swords dance might work over protect? I'd probably use it over x-scissor, bug isn't all that great, even if it can hit t-tar.

Noxe

Veteran Trainer
Armaldo is usable, just very niche. Wouldn't recommend it unless it's to cover a huge type coverage issue on your rain/TR team because of the better options out there. Kabutops, Kingdra, and Ludicolo are all better swift swimmers who have high attack stats and great movepools. What i don't like most about SS Armaldo is that he can't abuse the weather for it's extra damage even if he wanted to since he loses access to aqua tail.

And there are so many viable TR sweepers it's funny. If you really need a bug STAB, Scizor is where to go on that. Scizor IMO is arguably better in the rain than Armaldo is too!

But what i do like is his rock STAB. Destroying the likes of Zapdos, Chandelure. Togekiss Thundorous and Tornadus. Not to mention some of the pesky dragon types as well. The problem is I don't think rain teams have trouble handling most of these threats, and as I said, the amount of TR sweepers really makes TR pretty flexible.

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
Armaldo is usable, just very niche. Wouldn't recommend it unless it's to cover a huge type coverage issue on your rain/TR team because of the better options out there. Kabutops, Kingdra, and Ludicolo are all better swift swimmers who have high attack stats and great movepools. What i don't like most about SS Armaldo is that he can't abuse the weather for it's extra damage even if he wanted to since he loses access to aqua tail.

And there are so many viable TR sweepers it's funny. If you really need a bug STAB, Scizor is where to go on that. Scizor IMO is arguably better in the rain than Armaldo is too!

But what i do like is his rock STAB. Destroying the likes of Zapdos, Chandelure. Togekiss Thundorous and Tornadus. Not to mention some of the pesky dragon types as well. The problem is I don't think rain teams have trouble handling most of these threats, and as I said, the amount of TR sweepers really makes TR pretty flexible.

Meh, he gets the Highest ATK stat of all Swift Swim Abusers, so he gets really good power w/ his neutral power. plus, 75/100/80 isn't half bad for a pokemon. But yeah, if you need coverage, he's your guy. And i know Scizor is out there, but if you don't want a fire weakness, Armaldo is your guy.

Fixed the post, sorry about that, bug types bug me.

I guess he could work as a late game sweeper, if used properly and paired with someone that stops his counters.

Yea, late game sweep, he can be efficient

Armaldo belongs in rotation, not in doubles....

Swords dance might work over protect? I'd probably use it over x-scissor, bug isn't all that great, even if it can hit t-tar.

Doubles, why would you not have protect on it? and bug hits T-tar, abomasnow, psychic types (Cress,Musharna e.t.c) among other things. Bad defensive yes, but offensive bug is a great STAB to have

Armaldos are very rare, if not non-existant, in doubles and ^ he's not weak to earthquake or Mach Punch thanks to his bug typing. Armaldo seems like someone who is a late-game sweeper anyway.

Yea, late game sweeps ftw

I don't think Armaldo is that good in doubles. Weak to aqua jet, bullet punch, surf, rock slide. The list goes on...

It might work as a swift swim sweeper (say that 5 times fast.) with proper support. Sience this is doubles, it dosn't need to worry about steath rock.

Yea, he works pretty well if you make a team that suits his needs, but if you don't know what you're doing, don't use him

Status
Not open for further replies.