• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Arrival of a Rival (480)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Contest Battle! Rival Confrontation!

It's time for the contest. With Ash entering with his Aipom, Hikari faces her toughest challenge as her first Contest, and with her rival already being a contest winner, will Dawn experience Beginner's Luck or will she fall short of Victory?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I've seen the pictures... the episode looks really cool. I wish I could've seen it.

But... haha!! Ash loses in the quarter - finals!! Haha!

Maestro Kinético

It looks great! At last a good episode with drama and good battles. The final escene is lovely, I love Nozomi. I hope the season continues like this, a great improvement.

I have seen the episode. Nozomi is a very good battler, she is much better than Ash. She kicked his add hard. Also I have a feeling she doesn't like Ash so much. Nozomi is a great person, I love her personality and deep voice. She is very kind and didn't have troubles with winning.

I'm glad Hikari and Jessie won battles. Jessie isn't a noob anymore and she knows how to run a battle. Hikari is good too but she needs to train more.

Good episode^^

Amakusa Ryu

All is Unknown
I have seen the episode. Nozomi is a very good battler, she is much better than Ash. She kicked his add hard. Also I have a feeling she doesn't like Ash so much. Nozomi is a great person, I love her personality and deep voice. She is very kind and didn't have troubles with winning.

I'm glad Hikari and Jessie won battles. Jessie isn't a noob anymore and she knows how to run a battle. Hikari is good too but she needs to train more.

Good episode^^

I agree with you at all.

The interesting part of the episode, for me (and some people) is after the Nozomi/Ash battle, when Nozomi tells Ash to stop with contests (which I agree), but Ash replied that it is because Aipom wanted to enter it. So, Nozomi tells Ash that Hikari can raise Aipom if it likes contests.
The question is: Could Ash give Aipom to Hikari to become her pokemon and a contest one?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
That's actually pretty interesting.

Maybe Ash will give Aipom to Hikari after all. For some reason, I much prefer Aipom with Hikari than him.

Celebitwo

Celebi Clone
That is not going to happen, maybe Ash will lend Aipom to Hikari but he will not give Aipom away. Plus I dont think that Ash will stop doing contests as he got given all the 'contest equipment' in the last episode. Personally I dont think that his battle style suits the contests so he wont do well in them

pokeboy sarab

...mmm...hot!
i totally agree with nozomi that ash should not battle in contests he lost like anything to nyaruma BTW what attack is it using with its paw

Maestro Kinético

I think that he will at least lend her Aipom for the contests, and he will get out of them. That was the point of that Ash-Nozomi scene.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
That is not going to happen, maybe Ash will lend Aipom to Hikari but he will not give Aipom away. Plus I dont think that Ash will stop doing contests as he got given all the 'contest equipment' in the last episode. Personally I dont think that his battle style suits the contests so he wont do well in them

Who cares if he got the Contest case? It's made pretty clear at the end that he only entered for Aipom, not because he wanted to. Since Nozomi made that comment about Aipom being good with Hikari, it makes much more sense for him to let her use it.

MasterJedi

Coral Eye Trainer
Only reason Ash shouldn't enter contests is because it's not like real battling. Meaning you don't actually have to KO the other trainers Pokemon. BAsed on the pictures it looked like Aipom could have continued that battle for a lot longer then it did but the time ran out (and there's the point thing).

Every person in the team should have own goal.

Ash - Gym Battles
Hikari- Contests
Brock - breeding.

Ash shouldn't do two things. I know, Contests are fun but its Hikari's role.
Ash should stick with Gyms. I know Aipom loves Contests but Ash doesn't have to do everything what his pokemon wants.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
She won by having more points and time running out. I wouldn't call that "much better than Ash."

Indeed, according to another poster she actually told Ash that if the battle had continued ASH would have won.

Not to mention the whole thing about "Ash shouldn't be in contests" that Nozomi said came before the battle and she no longer thought that way afterward as far as I can tell.

What is with the obsession of so many people here to make characters be mean to each other, turn reasonable losses into "this trainer sucks" and especially wanting Ash to be some idiot newbie who doesn't have any skill. Its not like Ash never loses, so people should stop acting offended when he's shown as a strong trainer.

And I wish people would stop making pointless posts based on nothing. Its hard to believe some of the people posting here even saw pictures much less the episode.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
I hope ASH KEEPS Aipom as what would be the point in giving it to someone you hang out with all the time. You migth aswell just lend it to her.

Unless she catches something Ash wants and they trade.

Amakusa Ryu

All is Unknown

But look at this, in the beginning of AG, May also receives a badge case, but she never used it. The same will happen to Ash and his ribbon case.

John's Knight

Seen the pics. Good episode by the looks of it. Nyaruma using Shadow Claw is pwnage. Still, I continue hating Nyaruma. =/

About the Aipom and Hiraki 'situation'...I seriously hope not. If Ash caught an Aipom, he should keep it. *prepares for Primeape example*

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
If hikari was to use Aipom period that would make her lower than May for not using her own pokemon, jessie is from TR she can do whatever she wants since she's never gotten far with coordinating(maybe this once) anyway, but Hikari should prove she doesn't need to rely on others to accomplish her goal like May did.

jaredstar

advancepearlshipper
maybe i am a fool for doing so but until i see or hear concrete evidence that ash is no longer going to take part in contest i will continue my support it.

that said where are people getting the idea that a person should only do one thing. it seems to me that if ash's dream is to be a pokemon master he should be well versed in all aspects of pokemon battling and training be it for contest or gym runs.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
I dislike the idea of Hikari and Aipom as well. I wouldn't exactly be furious about it, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Especially since Aipom was so eager to remeet Ash and get him to capture her before and during the Grand Festival.

Anyways, Nozomi being so annoyed by Ash entering the Contest actually made me like her more - the opposite of what I expected.

I dunno, she just seemed horribly bland to me in DP011 and nearly bored me to tears with her oh-so-calm voice and the oh-so-calm attitude with this oh-so-flawless appeal...this time, she actually gets some personality! It was really interesting to see how passionate she is about Contests, since she only scoffed at Ash because she had the impression that Ash was ignoring the difference between Gym & Contest Battles. And it was nice of the script writer to show her realize her mistake without having her directly apologize to him.

On a side note, Ash is just so cute. He wasn't bothered at all when Nozomi got angry at him - gotta love the way he said, "Never mind!" after she was so grumpy at him. And after his loss against her, he just remained nice and wished her luck for the upcoming battles. =D

Hikari's mother is extremely strict in my opinion. But then again, whatever she tells her daughter, it seems reasonable and...intelligent, to say it in a stupid way (...???).
- Hikari shouldn't apologize for her loss to her mother, but rather to her Pokémon
- Stop crying and instead think what she had done wrong in this Contest and what she could improve on
- Talk to her new friends instead of calling her mother to constantly inform her about losses/wins

Pleased by the fact that Jessie got so far in the Contest. I almost burst with laughter at Masukippa's "WOAAAAAH!" when Nyarumaa first hit it with Shadow Claw though.