• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Arrival of a Rival (480)

Magical Needle Smash

Satoshi sure isn't doing so well lately. He won over the new trainer Naoshi way back when, and he beat Musashi at that fake Gym a couple episodes ago, but that's about it so far, isn't it? He's been beaten by Shinji twice now (accepting their first battle as a loss since Pikachu was the one that fell first), and now this against Nozomi.

It's not like he should never lose, but they can at least make it look better. He wasn't able to couter or dodge a single one of Nozomi's attacks (except for the one time he used Double Team), while she countered every one of his (aside from the very first Swift). He had his usual hot-blooded passion going, and he was able to rally Aipom even when the battle was looking bad, but that was about it. He wasn't able to come up with anything that looked very good. Maybe Nozomi just really is that good, being able to run circles around someone that conquered that Battle Frontier, but probably not.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I don't mind Ash giving Hikari Aipom (or Eteboth if it's that by then), we won't lose it, and a open space opens for Ash, meaning if the writers do the boring fire/water, atleast they will have a space open for a different type.

jaredstar

advancepearlshipper
this happens everytime ash enters a new region. until ash gets a few more new pokemon or brings in his old ones he will struggle along. i have no doubt that some time before his time in shinou is over he will beat shinji and maybe nozomi (if he continues in contest)

jaredstar

advancepearlshipper
i have yet to see or hear any evidence pointing that way. the only thing i have heard in that regard is that nozomi told ash to quit contest before their battle

i have yet to see or hear any evidence pointing that way. the only thing i have heard in that regard is that nozomi told ash to quit contest before their battle
Satoshi said so himself. Do you need more evidence than that?

i totally agree with nozomi that ash should not battle in contests he lost like anything to nyaruma BTW what attack is it using with its paw
Nozomi shouts out 'Sadoru Craw!'. I wonder what that makes that move?

Anyways, I enjoyed it. Especially Brain-damaged Masukippa. Kii!

jaredstar

advancepearlshipper

when was this

jaredstar

advancepearlshipper

when was this

S_P

Soul Trainer
Hm, there was quite the opportunity to have Musashi win this one, but I guess the writers really won't have her win contests. Then again, Masukippa being Grass instead of Normal allowed Shadow Claw to lead to the win.

Mmm I liked the Jouto battle music they put there with Nyaruma against Aipom. Interesting how Shadow Claw was used in numerous ways against the Normal types (shrug then again contest battling builds on things like that). Although it was obvious that Nyaruma would win, it wasn't that imbalanced (unlike say, Milotic which doesn't lose contests at all). I did not expect the episode to run as a Nyaruma winning spree though, though showcasing the eventual winner works, and it is indeed a series of reasonable wins (but again it seemed like a nice opportunity for Masukippa to shine). More like, see cat beat monkey, see cat beat bunny, see cat beat ... levitating Dionaea muscipula (er I mean Venus Flytrap).

The writers didn't use opportunity cost in this manner (er no, that's not the right word, but basically the scenario where given characters battle out before the feature character. An example would be Haruka's first contest win, where Shuu was defeated by Grace to prevent a Haruka vs Shuu where Haruka wouldn't win, at all. Thus in this contest, no match ups between Satoshi, Hikari, or Musashi themselves, rather Nozomi just demolishes 2/3 of them and effectively gains victory.)

What I don't see is how Hikari will be a victor against Nozomi (if ever), aside from having more points left by the end of the 5 minutes. Well, no crushing victory occurred at least (okay so Satoshi got crushed worse than Musashi in a way since Aipom's attacks got rendered useless whereas Musashi was effectively countered by the Shadow Claw that couldn't hit Normal types.)

Though, isn't doing straight focus punches in a contest battle, strategically, really horrible?

Wow, big heads near the end, really big heads.

Like how Jessie managed to make it to the finals...with Masukippa!! Aipom put up a decent fight, here's hoping it learns a new attack though. I mean Focus Punch and Swift aren't enough attacks for it right?

I like how Nazomi wasn't as mean as I expected her to be when she told Ash not to do contests, and Hikari battling Nazomi and establishing their friendly rivalry is a plus too.

One question though: Do the pokemon trainers keep the stickers for their pokemon?

Weav-vile

Totally!
Just saw the episode, and I must say it really surprised me... Ash losing to Nozomi was priceless, I didn't expect him to. Talking about her, she made me like her even more now that she showed some personality... She just rocks, the best rival ever. Oh, and you crazy AG fanatics don't come to tell me Harley or Drew were the best, 'cause they weren't. Nobody can surpass Nozomi, nobody... In just two episodes she proved she's fantastic, oh yeeeep.
About Hikari loss... Nothing new here, not really. And actually I liked she calling her mom after losing... I love this mommy's girl she is, hell yeah. =P
And Jesse! Awww, she almost did it. Haha, of course we all know she'll never reach the winning of a contest, she proved she can do it fine, at least. And Masukippa's so funny, only its crazy expression make its scenes awesome... ^^
5 stars for me, another awesome DP episode!
Btw, could anyone tell me why were James and Meowth looking up to Jesse in a part? I didn't get that. Thx :p

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Shadow Claw can't hit a normal type, but a Shadow Ball can?

0.o

Masukippa sounded like R2 when he got slammed back and went "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAA!". Darn, here comes another 5 personalities, the thing already is mentally unstable...

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Shadow Claw can't hit a normal type, but a Shadow Ball can?

0.o

Masukippa sounded like R2 when he got slammed back and went "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAA!". Darn, here comes another 5 personalities, the thing already is mentally unstable...

Masukippa is the Sensui of Pokemon.