• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Arrival of a Rival (480)

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
It was a great contest.
i loved the battle between Ash and Zoey, it was the best.
And i was little sad when Dawn lost but it was worth for her.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
The battle between Ash and Zoey was SOOO good. If it weren't for the time running out Aipom would have knocked out Glameow for sure. The Zoey vs. Dawn battle was great too but not as intense and I was little disappointed that Dawn lost. Zoey is an amazing coordinator and I can't wait to see how her skills have improved at the GF.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Zoey was a bit harsh on Ash, I like her but in this episode she was a bit, well annoying it's like mind your own business, it's none of your business if Ash wants to compete. What was her reaction to Nando who decided to do them both? (I don't remember if I seen them meet yet)

The battle between Ash and Zoey were pretty good, Glameow was quite good (You can't tell me she's never been in contests before, come to think of it her and Paul don't seem/aren't beginners in their things they do.) and strong with Shadow Claw. Ash might have actually won if it wasn't for the time limit though.

I thought Jessie was trying to disguise herself in that costume, so why in the heck is she sitting right next to James who is in TR costume. (And isn't that costume mostly the same that Jessie wore previously which they discovered who she was in Kanto).
You know when your Pokemon gets defeated by a single TR Pokemon then it isn't very strong is it, because TR's Pokemon always almost win (Unless they first appear on their teams they might get a couple wins).

The battle between Dawn and Zoey wasn't too bad either, I wonder if Zoey went into the Pokemon League how far would she get with that Glameow and others?

Poor Dawn losing her first contest, as I said in another contest episode she is a very different character from May who won half of her contests while Dawn lost half of hers (Yet both still made it to the GF).
I think Johanna was too harsh on her daughter, last time I checked daughters can talk to their mother about these kind of stuff, I don't think she really knows how to be a mother that well. Nor does she seem to even like being bothered (No wonder why she let Dawn go out on her own).

The battle between Zoey and Jessie was a bit too quick, and I doubt that if Dawn and Ash couldn't defeat her that Jessie could really do it.

wind21

Skipping a fair amount of reviews to come here. Jumping from dp 6 to dp 12 (wow). But many of the episodes in between are pretty generic to me, and I don't have too many memorable scenes in them. dp 7, 9, 10 focused on Dawn and her team, with Piplup receiving an episode, Dawn catching Buneary, and then an episode where Dawn learned to connect with her pokemon. dp 8 was Brock catching Croagunk. So since dp 6 and his battle with Paul, Ash has taken a bit of a backseat in the story.

I had a review for dp 11, but unfortunately lost it (still think I can fit what I want to in here, so no problem). dp 11 was the beginning of this contest, and introduced Zoey as the cool, in control rival for Dawn (who was being "annoyingly" nervous last episode). Ash is also competing in this contest, so he does have something meaningful to do.

And he lets that be known rather quickly in this episode as he says he's aiming to win this contest and then his 1st gym badge, getting a derisive rebuke from Zoey. This is probably a good thing from Zoey's viewpoint, maybe, since it gives her some sort of character besides perfect coordinator. But the problem, or better expression may be tension killer, is that Ash doesn't really get bothered by that at all. Even when he loses to Zoey, he takes it pretty much in stride. Zoey compliments Ash's skill as a trainer right after the battle as she realizes how close she was to losing, and Ash laughs a bit sheepishly at getting a compliment (I'm sure there haven't been too many of those). The thing is, Ash understood from the beginning that his place was gym battles, and he needed to be persuaded by Dawn, Aipom, and Brock to take part in the contest in the first place. This is more Zoey's problem, and it's hard to appreciate that on a first viewing, since Zoey is so new. Even knowing Zoey's result at the grand festival and trying to understand her character as a result of that, it's still maybe pretty tough. Zoey and Ash have some interesting interactions in this series, in that Zoey freely gives her opinion of Ash while Ash doesn't seem to mind too much.

Oh yeah, this is a contest! What about Dawn? Well, predictably she loses to Zoey in the semis. I said Dawn was "annoyingly" insecure this contest, and she is. Despite her show of nerves, she expects to win, and it's hard to sympathize with that. But that does change in future contests, and that storyline is one of the real masterful ones in the general Sinnoh plot.

Finally, Zoey faces Jessie in the final. If you're watching this series for the first time, this is a bit of a filler final; there's no way Zoey can lose. And maybe in retrospect, this is still a bit of a filler final; but you definitely take Jessie much more seriously. Regardless, Zoey wins the contest for her 2nd ribbon.

Last edited:

saar

Shiny Flygon
Dawn's first contest was great. She was amazing, even VS Zoey, but too much inexperienced. I think they should have showed her battle VS Bidoof in the quarter final, because we haven't seen her actually winning a battle.

~Platinum~

<- Caught it!
Not bad for the first contest of the saga. I didn't expect Dawn to win, but I did expect Ash to do better than get beaten by a Glameow, especially with a SE Focus Punch attack. Jessie making it to the finals was also unexpected, but this was actually a rather good twist, showing that she's become a more experienced trainer. And that scene where Zoey tells Ash that he can't compete in contests and gym battles, I think she needs to go tell that to Nando.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
After seeing Zoey's first contest battle I knew she was gonna make it into the semi final of the grand festival at least

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
After seeing Zoey's first contest battle I knew she was gonna make it into the semi final of the grand festival at least

G50

No longer posting
This episode was cool. Not Surprisingly, Dawn and Ash both lose in the contest. Glameow's Shadow Claw attack is very cool. Interesting how Jessie won a battle in this contest. Didn't really like how Zoey told Ash off about doing contests, and how he shouldn't do them anymore. That was very rude. Ash came very close to defeating Glameow with Aipom, but ran out of time. Zoey vs Dawn was very cool, even though Dawn lost. It's cool to see Dawn's Mother's strict side when talking to Dawn.

70/100

Ash was horrible in this contest. Zoey had 3x as many points as him when it ended. Maybe Zoey was right and he should stick with gym battles only. xD

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I liked the battles between Ash and Zoey and Dawn and Zoey, they were intense and entertaining to watch. I give this episode a 9/10.

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
I think Johanna was too harsh on her daughter, last time I checked daughters can talk to their mother about these kind of stuff, I don't think she really knows how to be a mother that well. Nor does she seem to even like being bothered (No wonder why she let Dawn go out on her own).

I agree with you. I remember watching this episode and thinking the same way....

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Skipping a fair amount of reviews to come here. Jumping from dp 6 to dp 12 (wow). But many of the episodes in between are pretty generic to me, and I don't have too many memorable scenes in them. dp 7, 9, 10 focused on Dawn and her team, with Piplup receiving an episode, Dawn catching Buneary, and then an episode where Dawn learned to connect with her pokemon. dp 8 was Brock catching Croagunk. So since dp 6 and his battle with Paul, Ash has taken a bit of a backseat in the story.

I had a review for dp 11, but unfortunately lost it (still think I can fit what I want to in here, so no problem). dp 11 was the beginning of this contest, and introduced Zoey as the cool, in control rival for Dawn (who was being "annoyingly" nervous last episode). Ash is also competing in this contest, so he does have something meaningful to do.

And he lets that be known rather quickly in this episode as he says he's aiming to win this contest and then his 1st gym badge, getting a derisive rebuke from Zoey. This is probably a good thing from Zoey's viewpoint, maybe, since it gives her some sort of character besides perfect coordinator. But the problem, or better expression may be tension killer, is that Ash doesn't really get bothered by that at all. Even when he loses to Zoey, he takes it pretty much in stride. Zoey compliments Ash's skill as a trainer right after the battle as she realizes how close she was to losing, and Ash laughs a bit sheepishly at getting a compliment (I'm sure there haven't been too many of those). The thing is, Ash understood from the beginning that his place was gym battles, and he needed to be persuaded by Dawn, Aipom, and Brock to take part in the contest in the first place. This is more Zoey's problem, and it's hard to appreciate that on a first viewing, since Zoey is so new. Even knowing Zoey's result at the grand festival and trying to understand her character as a result of that, it's still maybe pretty tough. Zoey and Ash have some interesting interactions in this series, in that Zoey freely gives her opinion of Ash while Ash doesn't seem to mind too much.

Oh yeah, this is a contest! What about Dawn? Well, predictably she loses to Zoey in the semis. I said Dawn was "annoyingly" insecure this contest, and she is. Despite her show of nerves, she expects to win, and it's hard to sympathize with that. But that does change in future contests, and that storyline is one of the real masterful ones in the general Sinnoh plot.

Finally, Zoey faces Jessie in the final. If you're watching this series for the first time, this is a bit of a filler final; there's no way Zoey can lose. And maybe in retrospect, this is still a bit of a filler final; but you definitely take Jessie much more seriously. Regardless, Zoey wins the contest for her 2nd ribbon.

This is why I love DP Ash so much. He is more humble and disregards some of the crap that comes out of some characters. But all in all it would have been nice for Aipom to have got that win and to have Zoey lose on screen.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I loved how Dawn called her mom and gave her an update on her progress in the Contest. Zoey vs. Ash was satisfying if only because Glameow showed its skills with its tail better than Ash's Aipom in my opinion, and Zoey vs. Jessie was tragic since Jessie lost so easily. Zoey's Glameow simply slayed everyone here and I cheered for it so much.

I liked that face that Zoey gave Ash after their battle.
To me, it looked it said "Don't touch me, you filthy casual!"

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well for their first Dp contest I thought Ash & Aipom did well and Zoey's Glameow might have even lost if the time hadn't run out. Dawn losing to Zoey as well was sad but expected and at least Buneary got used. ^^

JudySpell

Banned
Zoey did well and I knew Dawn was going to lose because this was her 1st ever Contest. Ash losing was expected too but I liked his effort. 7.5/10

Gillachu

Banned
Zoey winning was such BS. I know Dawn was a beginner, but since her mom taught her about Contests, she should've done better...

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
Zoey winning was such BS. I know Dawn was a beginner, but since her mom taught her about Contests, she should've done better...

Glad I'm not the only one! When it used Shadow Claw to hold off Aipom I was so disappointed because ghost type moves shouldn't be able to stop normal type moves, it should have just when straight through that Shadow Claw and hit Glameow. But no....we get anime logic FTW so that Zoe can tell Ash he's far from being a Coordinator.