• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

As you got older...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously most of us on here have seen Pokemon when the first season aired in the 90's. When we all watched it back then, I'm sure all of you had your own favorite characters, songs, episodes, battles, moments, etc. But as you got older and you once again watched the episodes you saw when you were a kid, did you find yourself not enjoying a certain episode or character as much as you did when you were a kid? For example, let's say when you were a kid you loved the Sabrina arc but now when you watch it back you find yourself not enjoying it as much. And also did you find yourself liking an episode or character you didn't care about when you were a kid to be better when you were an adult?

TicoPokemonMaster

Team Rocket. I enjoyed their presence in Kanto, Johto and part of Hoenn, but then I got tired of them. Sinnoh was when I was so tired of Team Rocket that I would skip over hearing their motto and if it didn't involve Ash or Dawn I would ignore their time all together. The beginning of Unova made them interesting to me again. But now their kind of meh.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
As a child I didn't like Brock. I thought he was too old to be traveling with the group.

When I got older I realized that it was supposed to be his role to be the older kid of the group and their voice of reason. I appreciated his sense of duty, responsibility, and self sacrifice. Brock finally going off on his own was his character coming around full circle. Now he was no longer looking out for everyone else because they've grown up and away from his care. It was now time for him to go take care of himself and his own interests.

When I was younger I thought Movie 1 was the best of the Original Series movies. When I got older I realized how preachy the dub made it and how misguided Mewtwo's views were and began to dislike it. Mewtwo Returns extending what was already beginning to turn into a terrible movie in my mind did not help. As an epic I felt Movie 2 encompassed everything the franchise should be. Movie 3 also gets a mention for having some of the most realistic battling in the series. If the anime had battles like that I wouldn't mind sitting through archs of tournaments.

I also used to buy into the whole " Friendship " thing and approve of Ash and Pikachu's relationship. Now I wish that he'd treat Pikachu like the rest of his Pokemon so he can better himself as a Trainer. I guess I can settle for Pikachu taking a backseat to the regional team.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I was already older than most when the show first started, so my opinions never really changed. The things I didn't like about Kanto, (the releases, lack of real Gym battles), I still don't like today.

The things I didn't like about Johto, (the amount of tedious fillers, Charizard/Squirtle's departure, dropping of the GS ball, lack of character development, original trio losing its chemistry, Misty holding Togepi all saga), I still don't like.

I guess the only exception is now that I know what the show became 15 years later, I wonder why certain characters and Pokemon weren't handled better than they originally were. I blame it for a lack of planning.

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
I used to look up to Misty, thinking I should be some sort of "it" girl (just without the quick-tempered demeanor). She was strong, in personality and character. I actually felt like crying in "Gotta Catch Ya Later", because she was leaving the group. The only reason I watched the show was because she was an idol to me, and now that the female companion's always being switched, I found no point in watching the show anymore.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I used to look up to Misty, thinking I should be some sort of "it" girl (just without the quick-tempered demeanor). She was strong, in personality and character. I actually felt like crying in "Gotta Catch Ya Later", because she was leaving the group. The only reason I watched the show was because she was an idol to me, and now that the female companion's always being switched, I found no point in watching the show anymore.

What does that have to do with anything? How was a character an, "it" girl when she got very little action-oriented screentime in the show?

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
What does that have to do with anything? How was a character an, "it" girl when she got very little action-oriented screentime in the show?

Don't mind me. I was just a little girl thinking everyone on the show got something outta being on it. It's my own opinion from past experiences from watching the show. Since I stopped watching it so long ago, I can't really say what I think about it now. If my experiences as a kid are too bland for you, then don't say anything...

pokemon fan 132

Can't say my opinions have changed much since last time i saw older seasons. I still prefer Os because of sheer wackiness of their plots and probably best group interaction this show had so far. Despite realizing with time how rather poorly some things were treated, at same time as i grew older i began to appreciate more comedy and unpredictability older series had, which got lost eventually in new sagas.

However i began to appreciate more new characters like May, Dawn, Max etc as i grew older being grateful for their contributions to anime and new things they provided with their presence.

The things I didn't like about Johto, (the amount of tedious fillers, Charizard/Squirtle's departure, dropping of the GS ball, lack of character development, original trio losing its chemistry, Misty holding Togepi all saga), I still don't like.

Debatable, every region has fillers but that doesn't mean fillers are bad episodes considering how thy can often be much better than gyms or episodes which contain development. Something you may find boring, doesn't mean others will and vice versa.

Original trio had plenty of chemistry in Johto so im not quite sure what your trying to point out in here? Ash and Misty still argued, she liked to tease him and Brock, she gave advices to Brock bout romance helping him out about girl issues. Ash was still incredibly dense and naive with his companions having to look after him, Brock was still mentor to Ash helping him to come with battle strategies in some episodes with all three providing humor and enjoyable interaction.
They had strongest bond too, being hardest for them to split up.

As for development characters still grew more than i can say for Kanto. Ash became less impulsive and little bit more mature in Johto which was noticed in his more strategic gym matches, Brock enriched his knowledge about breeder applying new things on several pokemon. While Misty improved as water trainer making steps forward with water master dream, became more mature and confident and had several episodes with quality growth(like bonding with Marill and her pokemon like Poliwhirl understanding better pokemon feelings, valuing more friendship with Ash and Brock considering them as her new family etc).

I wish people would first rewatch something, instead of pointing out things which aren't true.

She got most focus out of all sidekick characters so far in show with someone deeds not being measured by quantity but quality, People liked her strong and independent character, personality, unique dreams of striving to become best while using one type always standing up for the weak and trying to help people out.

Yep i can see, why she could be idol to some of older fans when they were kids.

Last edited:

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
When I was a kid, I used to love Misty. As an adult, I cannot stand her anymore.

ArielSummer

Is it weird i only just began liking Ash in the BW series? I never hated Ash I just really loved him now in BW and never really cared about him in the other sagas. However I loved cute little Max since the first day I saw him. Bugsy too XD

Blessed

Nothing has really changed, besides just realizing the DUBS doing. I still LOVE the OS.

Omg I totally agree! We feel the same.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Come to think of it, my opinions on the older seasons never did change from 10 years ago. Since the old episodes don't change, I can't change my opinions. All the flaws of Johto still stick out like a sore thumb to this day, I imagine now all the changes to the series since then really puts into perspective what exactly went wrong too.

pokemon fan 132

Come to think of it, my opinions on the older seasons never did change from 10 years ago. Since the old episodes don't change, I can't change my opinions. All the flaws of Johto still stick out like a sore thumb to this day, I imagine now all the changes to the series since then really puts into perspective what exactly went wrong too.

Johto had its flaws, but some of things you mentioned simply weren't true so im not sure if its fair to add more flaws to certain series, than they really had.
Hoenn, Sinnoh, Kanto, Oi, BF or Unova had plenty of flaws too and terribly written story arcs from which characters suffered, but i learned to appreciate qualities from each series and recognize good sides about them , including Johto too.

Im not sure why you always tend to signal out one region and mention its flaws, when other regions were far from flawless.

Im not sure why you always tend to signal out one region and mention its flaws, when other regions were far from flawless.

Kind of hard not to. At least it's possible to ignore the other region's flaws. How is one supposed to ignore being spammed with a crap load of fillers?

pokemon fan 132

Kind of hard not to. At least it's possible to ignore the other region's flaws. How is one supposed to ignore being spammed with a crap load of fillers?

Every season has fillers(fanmade term)/non plot related episodes. Doesn't mean every episode which isn't gym battle should be labelled as bad, because some of best and most creative episodes pokemon had were indeed fillers. This episodes are necessary to fill up time between gyms and before new games comes out with plot related episodes simply not having enough stamina to support series on their own.To give focus to other traveling companions not named Ash and to provide lighthearted humor and enjoyable story arcs instead of turning anime in replica of video games. Many viewers like casual episodes which only provide laugh and some good story arc, if well written.

Johto had many fillers,but many were great and actually entertaining being underrated as hell. Like "Little Big Horn" or "Just waiting on a friend" being about 1000 year old Ninetales , "For Crying Out Loud" where Misty bonded with Marill, "Hook,line and Stinker" or "Unbearable" which was hilarious with Teddiursa thief. "Hocus pokemon" which was unique turning Ash into Pikachu, "Wobu Palooza" or "Will real prof. Oak please stand up"when James tried to immitate prof. Oak etc.

Also people should count episodes again because out of 158 Johto episodes around 65 were fillers not having anything relevant. Other episodes either contained character development, pokemon captures and evolutions, return of older or recurring characters(like Aya, Duplica, Todd, Ritchie etc), plots about TR organization etc.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY

I grew up with the Original Series, as it debuted when I was 3. As a kid, I viewed the show as a flawless masterpiece.

Today, although I do see the flaws people pick out, I still view it as a masterpiece. The flaws that people list, from Ash not really winning most of his badges in Kanto, or his Pokemon not evolving in Johto, or all the Johto fillers... I recognize that these were mistakes by the writers. HOWEVER, they still did not affect the essence of the show-- Ash was still adventurous yet naive while still being all the more lovable. Misty was still a strong-willed girl with a powerful personality (although I will admit, one of the few mistakes the writers did make that affected the show's "essence" was her personality drainage after getting Togepi). And Brock was still the mentor yet also the flirtatious fool we all came to know and love.

Yes, I can see the mistakes now. You all make valid points. But one can only truly enjoy the show by looking past those mistakes that affect plot. The feelings of adventure, wonder, humor, making friends, achieving one's goals, and helping others was still constantly present in every episode, and that is what I loved, still love, and will always love about the original series of Pokemon.

Aegon

The whole show. Watching each episode with bated breath to see if Ash's Pokémon would evolve, or questioning whether Ash'd actually win his Gym battle has lost its charm, to say the least. I've come to see the terrible writing for what it is, and so the Pokémon anime just isn't special to me anymore.

Dragon Spirit

A True Dragon Spirit
When I was a kid I found Pokemon to be quite enjoying and loved to see Team Rocket "Blast of" but not it's just not the same as it rarely happens and Ash is quite different then what he used to be.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
As I got older I found myself not enjoying the Original Series as much as I did when I was a kid. It simply doesn't hold up for me.

I find it more annoying than anything else.

Last edited:

BlueDragonfangirl

No way, still feel the same way I did ever since I first watched, thats me though ^

Status
Not open for further replies.