• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

As you got older...

Status
Not open for further replies.

G50

No longer posting
My opinions of the Anime haven't changed very much. Characters I like, don't like, episode I like, don't like, etc. haven't really changed all that much.

What Anime Pokemon are my favorite has changed over time however.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
The johto series is amazing, though it was filled with fillers the fillers were entertaining, but team rocket made every episode enjoyable :) they were amazing.. ohh and wobbafet :p

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Not much actually. I hated the Johto fillers back then and i still do. Same formulaic episodes, gang meeting up with a trainer, saving pokemon from team rocket etc etc

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Obviously most of us on here have seen Pokemon when the first season aired in the 90's. When we all watched it back then, I'm sure all of you had your own favorite characters, songs, episodes, battles, moments, etc. But as you got older and you once again watched the episodes you saw when you were a kid, did you find yourself not enjoying a certain episode or character as much as you did when you were a kid? For example, let's say when you were a kid you loved the Sabrina arc but now when you watch it back you find yourself not enjoying it as much. And also did you find yourself liking an episode or character you didn't care about when you were a kid to be better when you were an adult?

I don't know about this. I've always enjoyed Pokemon and the more it changed, the more I loved it. I don't think I want to go back just for one or two episodes that I liked. Things was supposed to change because we're living in a new age of diferent animes coming out almost every week trying to compete with shows like this. If they didn't do something, it would have been over if they didn't make more new Pokemon.

I personally can't stand a lot of Kanto and all of Johto now. Way too many releases and not enough development for a lot of Ash's pokemon in Kanto. Johto on the other hand was nothing more than a giant mess imo

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
I personally can't stand a lot of Kanto and all of Johto now. Way too many releases and not enough development for a lot of Ash's pokemon in Kanto. Johto on the other hand was nothing more than a giant mess imo

I don't understand why people can't stand the "releases". It's better than just letting it rot at Oak's for all eternity. Some of the greatest, most emotional episodes involved the releases. "Bye-Bye, Butterfree!" was an excellent episode that many still remember fondly to this day.

And about Johto being a giant mess... Yes, it was disorganized in that the Pokemon did not evolve properly and that some of Misty and Brock's Pokemon rotted in their Pokeballs, but that did not get in the way of the fantastic group dynamic, humor, and sensational vibe of the heroic original trio.

ForgottenPearl

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Poor Brock is just never gonna win the game of love, is he? :(

That's one thing I always understood from the beginning when I was 3 years old-- Brock was the flirt that would never win haha.

However, it's interesting to go back and look at Brock's evolution from casually-inclined flirt to diehard lunatic with the ladies. I remember the first girl he hit on-- It was an Officer Jenny in "The Waterflowers of Cerulean City", the seventh episode of the series. I think he casually asked her to go out later, and then she responded with some joke about his bedtime. Then a few eps later he had the hots for the girl in "Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village", where he hid his feelings for her until the end of the episode where I believe he desperately blurted them out, only to get denied as she said his friends needed him more or something like that lol.

That's one thing I always understood from the beginning when I was 3 years old-- Brock was the flirt that would never win haha.

However, it's interesting to go back and look at Brock's evolution from casually-inclined flirt to diehard lunatic with the ladies. I remember the first girl he hit on-- It was an Officer Jenny in "The Waterflowers of Cerulean City", the seventh episode of the series. I think he casually asked her to go out later, and then she responded with some joke about his bedtime. Then a few eps later he had the hots for the girl in "Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village", where he hid his feelings for her until the end of the episode where I believe he desperately blurted them out, only to get denied as she said his friends needed him more or something like that lol.

The interesting thing is when a young lady is actually attracted to him, he just ignores her and hits on other girls.

majormanafemale

TicoPokemonMaster

Something that I notice now more so then when I was younger is that in the end the show is a walking advertisment for the games. I use to think oh cool X pokemon was the focus of today's episode, man Ash is the best trainer he has all the starter pokemon, wow Togepi doesn't exist in the games. I started to notice it more during the Johto saga, Lugia being at the Whril Island, the Red Gyarados arc, then Hoenn taking it a step futher with adding a Contest focused trainer, many of Team Aqua and Magma's appearances correspond to in game events, May being the daughter of a gym leader. It's really interesting that when your 5-12 years old this kind of things goes over your head.

pokegirl24

Mists always been m fave character even if she's not in it anymore I've always like the older songs then the newer ones team rockets boring know it used to be funny my fave line was when james said "I'm a flaming moltres" lol

Valkyrja

Cooltrainer
Everything changed when i got older, i wish i could still have the same feeling when i was a kid :(
Do you remember that feeling when you got the new Pokemon game, and it was the best thing in the world?

Estellise

peachy
When I was a kid, I adored Ash. I thought he was great. Like, the best trainer ever. Ten years later.......well, things change.

Aaah, back in the old days, the episodes were exciting and unpredictable at their best. And of course emotional. So many episodes though that I can't remember all of em at all... (I can though fondly call Sabrina-episodes. Finland didn't strangely post Orange League-episodes though for some reason.)

But when it went into Hoenn-saga, something just happened that made me throw my towels on the whole watching. I started to notice how predictable the episodes started to get and getting generally sick of TR's antics of being one of the most pathetic villains ever grace on anime history. Along with Pikachu becoming way too OP and acting more like a repel to keep TR at bay in general and save all the Pokemon that got captured by em. And most disappointing fact was that this all happened in the Gen I was most home and fond with.
The episodes now started to feel more like advertisements or introductions to the Pokemon themselves in an animated format with Ash and co starring in it rather than some tv-series based on a videogame.
And lastly, Ash became absolutely obnoxious and stupid. Even today I can see he has almost no logic and acts like he has never, ever grew up from his experiences during ALL HIS TRAVELS AND ALL THESE YEARS HE'S BEEN TRAINING. (He's almost only good when giving individually training his pokemon)

I generally kept off watching the episodes until BW because when I got Diamond, the game sorta felt bland itself and seeing from some DP-episodes posted in Finland, things haven't changed, only the trainers who Ash had with himself. It just felt tacking at it's best.

Weedy Spyze

I can still watch some of the very first episodes every now and then and still enjoy them somewhat, but not much else. I watched a few Johto episodes not too long ago and I wanted to bash my skull in. But to be fair I hated the Johto saga as a 9-year-old as well. Although I have seen about ten or so Sinnoh episodes, and they were alright. Not the greatest thing ever, and they would've been a lot better if Brock didn't have to be there, but eh.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I think the reason why some people watched the show for so long is we recognize its always been a flawed kids show but we're able to enjoy the better episodes, the funny moments of the main characters and enjoy the pokemon or battles.

Pokemon has never been a well written show, not even in Kanto. It just is what it is.

I never saw Johto as being a big mess, because Misty and Brock got to battle a lot more and their was some really cool fun filled episodes, Team Rocket was their classic old selves. Kanto was pure classic with it's funny humor, Pikachu had a really great personality unlike he does nowdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.