• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash’s Sceptile vs Paul’s Torterra; Poll Tally!

Who would win?

• Total voters

Genaller

Silver Soul
Who would win a battle between these 2 powerhouse grass types?

— Ash’s Sceptile
- Solarbeam
- Leaf Storm
- Leaf Blade
- Quick Attack

— Paul’s Torterra
- Stone Edge (directed)
- Curnch
- Giga Drain
- Frenzy Plant

By individual categories this is how I’d say they compare:

Power: Torterra >= Sceptile
Speed: Sceptile >>> Torterra
Durability: Torterra > Sceptile
Stamina: Sceptile > Torterra
Precision: Sceptile > Torterra
Versatility: Torterra > Sceptile
Battle Expereince: Torterra >> Sceptile

In addition Sceptile has better power scaling feats in the form of soloing 2 of Spencer’s Pokémon including his Ace and dealing the bulk of the damage on Tobias’s Darkrai whereas Torterra’s best feat is making Cynthia’s Garchomp kneel which would’ve been extremely impressive..... if not for the fact that she was immobilized and vulnerable at the time and right afterwards proceeded to easily block Frenzy Plant.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
I personally believe Torterra would barely manage to win this, as it has a lot more experience than Ash's Sceptile(it was with Paul ever since it was a Turtwig and was there before Paul changed his idealogies to oppose his brother's to prove his previous ideals wrong). If it can control the direction of it's stone edges unlike most Pokemon, and learn one of the most difficult grass moves to learn in the anime, then it can definitely take out Sceptile with some effort. Also, Sceptile had to pick up the win after 3 of Ash's Pokemon(Torkoal included, the only other Pokemon that had experience with battling a legend besides Pikachu) fainted.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Torterra is stronger and more experienced,Sceptile has the advantage in speed but that won't be enough to KO Paul's heavily trained Torterra.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I personally believe Torterra would barely manage to win this, as it has a lot more experience than Ash's Sceptile(it was with Paul ever since it was a Turtwig and was there before Paul changed his idealogies to oppose his brother's to prove his previous ideals wrong). If it can control the direction of it's stone edges unlike most Pokemon, and learn one of the most difficult grass moves to learn in the anime, then it can definitely take out Sceptile with some effort. Also, Sceptile had to pick up the win after 3 of Ash's Pokemon(Torkoal included, the only other Pokemon that had experience with battling a legend besides Pikachu) fainted.
Sure Torterra might have more experience, but does it really have better experience compared to Sceptile? Yeah, not really, because Ash's Sceptile has experience battling multiple legendaries, it fought valiantly against each of those Legendaries named Deoxys, Regirock and Darkrai, and managed to win against Darkrai, who was an infamous League sweeping legendary who swept every opponent prior to it six to zip. Where's the evidence that Torterra has that level of quality experience like battling valiantly against Legendaries? There is none.

Sure you can say that Darkrai took super effective damage from Heracross and Gible before, but then again you've to also consider that Darkrai also healed twice before with Dream Eater, it used Dream Eater twice; on Heracross it used Dream Eater once and on Sceptile it used Dream Eater once. Dream Eater on Heracross resulted in a OHKO so the healing definitely was pretty significant in that case, because the amount of health the user recieves from Dream Eater is proportionate to the amount of damage the opponent takes from Dream Eater. So while battling Sceptile, I'd say that Darkrai had about 70/80% of its health back at least(a.k.a majority). So Sceptile pretty much beat 70/80% of a Pokemon who swept all the gyms in Sinnoh + all the previous opponents it faced in the Sinnoh League.

Adding to that, Sceptile back in BF, solo'd Spencer's Shiftry + Claydol, and Spencer was an extremely powerful Frontier Brain in Kanto, possibly second only to Brandon. To judge how much powerful Spencer's Claydol was, it was explicitly stated that Spencer's Claydol was a lot stronger than his Venusaur, and it took Heracross + Swellow's (2 pretty strong Pokemon in their own right) best efforts together to being down Spencer's Venusaur. So it's only imaginable how much powerful Spencer's Claydol was actually. And Sceptile managed to solo Spencer's Shiftry + Claydol.

So Ash's Sceptile clearly has more superior feats and better quality experience presumably than Paul's Torterra as we can see. Sure Torterra knows high power Grass type moves and can skillfully control the tragectory of Stone Edge, but Torterra is pretty much immobile and lacks in speed, while Sceptile is incredibly fast as a species, it can easily keep dodging most of the attacks used by Torterra, and though Torterra can have an edge in terms of power because it knows comparatively high power moves, let me tell you that Sceptile also knows moves like Leaf Storm and Solar Beam (which can really pack a punch, Solar Beam basically OHKO'd Spencer's Claydol), and Leaf Blade can deal brutal damage if Sceptile builds up a lot of momentum (brutally KO'd Darkrai in 2 clean strikes). And in terms of typing, Sceptile clearly has the edge, because, Torterra being a Grass/Ground type takes neutral damage from Grass type attacks while Sceptile, being a pure Grass type, is resistant to Grass type attacks.

So judging all this, I'll say that yeah, I'd be a close fight, but Ash's Sceptile definitely wins.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Torterra is stronger and more experienced,Sceptile has the advantage in speed but that won't be enough to KO Paul's heavily trained Torterra.
You forgot the part that Ash's Sceptile has better quality experience in fighting multiple legendaries and clearly has better quality on-screen feats. Sure Cynthia's Garchomp is stronger than any of the opponents Ash's Sceptile faced, but that experience didn't last long for Paul's Torterra as it got OHKO'd pretty quickly and brutally too.

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I think paul's torterra wins it in very close match, his torterra is the only pokemon he has that could take out ash's sceptile, his rest of so called aces are all inferior to sceptile. I think its experience is just too much but the match will be close and torterra will be beaten heavily damaged. Now if this was a mega sceptile then it would be a curbstomp for MS, since megas increase the power exponentially.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I think paul's torterra wins it in very close match, his torterra is the only pokemon he has that could take out ash's sceptile, his rest of so called aces are all inferior to sceptile. I think its experience is just too much but the match will be close and torterra will be beaten heavily damaged. Now if this was a mega sceptile then it would be a curbstomp for MS, since megas increase the power exponentially.
Doesn't Ash's Sceptile have better quality experience in battling multiple (3) Legendaries and also winning against one of them too? It clearly has better quality feats depicted on-screen and also clearly has the edge in terms of typing: Torterra is a Grass/Ground type so it takes neutral damage from Grass type attackswhile Sceptile is a pure Grass type who takes neutral damage from Grass type attacks. Sure Torterra has experience battling against a Champion's ace, but that experience didn't last for it long as it lost fairly quickly.

Also Torterra isn't Paul's strongest either, his strongest is his Electivire as it has the best feats among Paul's Pokemon, and was depicted as Paul's ace throughout the entire Sinnoh League.

Last edited:

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Torterra can solo 2 of Spencer's pokemon as well.There's nothing Sceptile did that Torterra couldn't do except maybe break out of Darkrai's Dream Eater,but that would more so have to do with the bond between trainer and pokemon.If Darkrai received a few hits from 2 of Paul's pokemon prior then with Torterra freshly on the battlefield and actually manages to break out of Darkrai's Dream Eater then all it will take is one attack to finish it off like Sceptile did.

Also keep in mind that we never got to see Torterra's true power outside of the Garchomp example which isn't a good example to base it's strength on since that Garchomp belongs to the sinnoh champion Cynthia who is one of the strongest trainers in the anime universe.

Seeing how it does against the likes of Ash's Infernape/Snorlax would be better examples to use.Also outside of that Garchomp battle it never lost on screen in DP nor did it ever have an opponent close to it's level to demonstrate it's true power.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
First off Darkrai did receive 2 super effective blows, one from Heracross and one from Gible respectively, but unless we are also considering that Darkrai also healed twice with Dream Eater, they either we are committing a logical fallacy or we are being biased. Darkrai used Dream Eater once on Heracross and then once again on Sceptile, and it's worth noting that Dream Eater on Heracross dealt huge damage, it OHKO'd Heracross, so in that case the healing had to be significant/major at least. The amount of health received via Dream Eater would obviously be proportionate to the amount of damage dealt by Dream Eater, that's common sense, so since Dream Eater dealt brutal damage to Heracross it's more than reasonable to say that Darkrai also healed significantly. So it's reasonable to say that Darkrai was at about 70/80% heath when it faced Sceptile, a.k.a had majority of its heath back.

And it did not take one hit from Sceptile to take Darkrai down, it took 2 clean and brutal strikes from Leaf Blade to KO Darkrai, and it's emphasized that Leaf Blade dealt clearly brutal damage in bringing down Darkrai, emphasized by the clean strikes explicitly animated and Darkrai severely groaning in pain, so yeah, that was the move was the one which dealt brutal and major damage in bringing down Darkrai.

Overall it's reasonable to say that Ash's Sceptile beat a 70/80% Darkrai, the same Pokemon which swept all of the Sinnoh Gyms and all other Sinnoh League opponents it faced. That does say something.

Paul's Torterra did make Cynthia's Garchomp kneel momentarily, which could have been really impressive if Garchomp was not immobilized from using Giga Impact then. Afterwards Garchomp blocked Torterra's strongest attack Frenzy Plant effortlessly without even using any move, which clearly proved that if Garchomp wasn't immobilized, Torterra wouldn't have been able to do **** to Garchomp. While it's still quite imressive that Torterra's Giga Drain had the raw power to hurt Garchomp when it wasn't on its guard, but still definitely not as impressive as hurting Garchomp when it's on its guard and not immobilized. And not to mention after that it took one Brick Break from Garchomp to KO Torterra.

Torterra hasn't lost on screen except from vs Cynthia's Garchomp, but hey, what were its opponents? Overpowering 2 Pokemon like Brock's Croagunk and Holly's Farfetch'd easily doesn't give much acceptable evidence to put it above Sceptile as those Pokemon weren't that strong, and Sceptile would obviously do the same as well. Not to mention that Torterra struggled quite a bit against pre-training Gliscor as well in the Lake Acucity battle. Pre-training Gliscor was pretty average actually, it only had a win vs Byron's Basteodon and had multiple losses to its name. Given that pre-training Gliscor could cause notable damage to Paul's Torterra, putting it above Ash's Sceptile is quite difficult, because I have a hard time believing that Sceptile would have that much of a hard time vs pre-training Gliscor.

Last edited:

blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze

lol. but you can't deny that Sceptile has done some really impressive stuff, but Torterra does have really good endurance and defense.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
@345ash-greninja stamina doesn't exactly equate to health though:)
Too much stamina is burned when the fights are drawn out, a.k.a. the battles last very long. Did Darkrai's previous last very long or were drawn out? Yeah, not quite. Heracross was OHKO'd, Torkoal was OHKO'd, Gible was OHKO'd, so the fights didn't last long at all. So Darkrai literally had no reason to be low on stamina since the previous 3 fights didn't last long/weren't drawn out.

Last edited:

blizzardblaze

I know what you mean, but just wanted to make that point. Moves also cost energy, though, and Darkrai used multiple moves in an attempt to knock out Sceptile.

blizzardblaze

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
This post convinced me of my error. Changing my vote to Torterra now.
Hmm, are you serious about this? ;) TBH I think he just can't handle the fact that Sceptile has better depicted feats and also has overall better quality experience. :p

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Hmm, are you serious about this? ;) TBH I think he's just can't handle the fact that Sceptile has better depicted feats and also has overall better quality experience. :p

Its funny he always says that torterra is stronger than sceptile because he has more experience than him but still puts ash's swellow and hunchkrow on same level even though swellow not only has superior feats but also about one region more experience, talk about double standards.