• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash: A Timeless Encounter (1068)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Has anyone managed to figure out who this lad actually is?

yt6nNlH.jpg
I guess this anime likes Druddigon too much that it also likes showing its dead...stony carcass.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
That's what I thought when I first saw it, but it seems a tad random, no?

I can't think of any reference, visual gag or wordplay involving a broken, stone Druddigon. Usually the puns in Pokemon would be easy for children to grasp like 困ったなあ and コマタナ.

I was hoping there's something I missed or misinterpreted!

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
So... while death is a serious matter and the context behind the latest one is pretty sad. Is anyone here laughing at Ash's reaction?

This is a Trevenant he made friends with the whole episode, who he and young Kukui had a lot of cute moments with... then Ash is warped to the present... saw Trevenant's corpse and reacted like... one would expect if they seen this enough times in the series.

Noticed and went on with his day. This series maybe slice of life most of the time, but it has a body count.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zhydra said:
So... while death is a serious matter and the context behind the latest one is pretty sad. Is anyone here laughing at Ash's reaction?

This is a Trevenant he made friends with the whole episode, who he and young Kukui had a lot of cute moments with... then Ash is warped to the present... saw Trevenant's corpse and reacted like... one would expect if they seen this enough times in the series.

Noticed and went on with his day. This series maybe slice of life most of the time, but it has a body count.

Ohrot's death probably didn't hit him hard since he had only known the wild Ohrot for a little while. That and Satoshi had other things on his mind since he had just returned from the past and had reunited with his Pokemon.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Ohrot's death probably didn't hit him hard since he had only known the wild Ohrot for a little while. That and Satoshi had other things on his mind since he had just returned from the past and had reunited with his Pokemon.

Or Ash is use to seeing this enough by now that it doesn't faze him anymore. Stoutland, Minior, those were big ones he DID react to.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Ash wasn't even aware he was sent to the past. Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't put two and two together yet.

That's what I thought when I first saw it, but it seems a tad random, no?

Isn't "gan" a word for "stone? That's all I got.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Ash wasn't even aware he was sent to the past. Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't put two and two together yet.

Isn't "gan" a word for "stone? That's all I got.

That much makes sense, but its one of those moments where my mind takes in black humor. Like Rayquaza showing up at the Minior episode levels of black humor. (Like a vulture paying your dying companion visit levels of black.)

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
A heartwarming low-stakes slice of life episode that caters to SM's strengths

This is what SM should be like, instead of constantly abusing Ash, having characters master things without trying and getting rewarded for doing absolutely nothing

The corpse of the Totem Trenrvant was a tad unnerving though

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zhydra said:
Or Ash is use to seeing this enough by now that it doesn't faze him anymore. Stoutland, Minior, those were big ones he DID react to.

That would seem really cold of him though since he's usually the kind of person who shows compassion for all Pokemon no matter what the context. But if it's possible that he is just accustomed to Pokemon dying at this point, I would hope that his lukewarm reaction was more about him having inner peace about the concept of death than him being flippant about Ohrot's fate.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Why are people disturbed by what was essentially a living dead tree. It was already dead to begin with.

This has some disturbing implications about ghost-type pokemon.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
That would seem really cold of him though since he's usually the kind of person who shows compassion for all Pokemon no matter what the context. But if it's possible that he is just accustomed to Pokemon dying at this point, I would hope that his lukewarm reaction was more about him having inner peace about the concept of death than him being flippant about Ohrot's fate.

Him being cold isn't what I meant. What I meant to say is Ash is use to this happening by now and he doesn't really know how to react to the sudden death. He takes it in and moves on.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Why are people disturbed by what was essentially a living dead tree. It was already dead to begin with.
Ghost type pokemon eat physical food (among other things), are born/hatched, can be burned, poisoned, etc. (where their secondary typing allows), and as we see here (and with Mimikins) they can die and (as with Mimikins) have souls that can then become actual ghosts. They're clearly living things, just of a different sort of life compared to non-Ghost types.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ghost type pokemon eat physical food (among other things), are born/hatched, can be burned, poisoned, etc. (where their secondary typing allows), and as we see here (and with Mimikins) they can die and (as with Mimikins) have souls that can then become actual ghosts. They're clearly living things, just of a different sort of life compared to non-Ghost types.
Sooo they're FAKERS.

Leonhart

Imagineer
U.N. Owen said:
This has some disturbing implications about ghost-type pokemon.

I hadn't considered it before, but since Ghost-types are basically like literal ghosts since they can become intangible and pass through solid objects, I suppose that they were already somewhat dead to begin with. So maybe Ohrot only left its physical body behind and its spirit exists elsewhere.

DatsRight

Okay getting round to a proper review, another pretty solid laid back episode.

It kind of mirrors Tomoika's introspective episode for Ash last series around the same time, though I think here the presence of young Kukui and the general energy they bounce off of each other makes things more fun. I like the way they kinda go back to XY Ash's experience and mellowed out persona, while still keeping his SM eccentricity and synergy here, almost like a nice mix of the two series.

I really like how Ash bounces off the younger kid here, wanting to go easy on him and then becoming bewildered when he gives him full power like wanted and still can't please him. I find it a shame Ash didn't bounce off of Bonnie's brattiness as much last series.

Best nitpick I can think of is that Ash is maybe going through the motions a little too much here, shrugging off the disappearance of both his Pokemon and then 'Gao' and 'Grandpa Oh' (I can buy he'd be oblivious to that old tree being the latter, but that still asks where it went).

I also wonder why a Trevenant, even a Totem one, is charged with handing out Firium Zs. I was kind of expecting a curveball with which Z Move Torracat would learn, like Fightium Z to give advantage over Incineroar or, more fittingly from this supplier, Ghostium Z. I liked Ash mastering the Z Move from remembering Kiawe and Turtonator using it though.