• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash: A Timeless Encounter (1068)

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Here's my terrible stitch. It was difficult to make because the background and foreground are not in sync, but it needed to be made because it's such a powerful moment.

vSrxtbf.jpg

PokeMaster366

Actually, Kukui asked what happens when you win the Pokémon League.
Satoshi did still kinda dodge the question, though.

If I remember right from the Sinnoh days, winning the League means getting an invite to battle the Elite Four and Champion. Being an Elite Four member also gives you the right to challenge the champion, and a unanimous vote from the Elite Four can appoint a new champion or invite a new challenger to face the current champion.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Aww I really liked this episode! Prof Kukui was only 5 years old and while Kukui was reminiscing in an old book Prof Burnet found, Ash was teleported back to his childhood.

It was like seeing a mini Ash! It’s no wonder Ash and Kukui get along so well, they’re so similar and were just alike! This gives me hope that if Ash grows up, he’ll become a handsome man and a strong Trainer just like his father Prof Kukui. It’s heartwarming by how long Incineroar and Kukui knew each other!

I hope Ash finds out that the little kid he briefly knew was actually the past version of Prof Kukui. I feel like Torracat is aware but at the same time, because of how random Celebi was in teleporting them, it felt like Ash and Torracat didn’t know they were transported into the past like in most episodes, characters know. Now, little Kukui is stuck wondering where that other kid he played with went. Celebi could’ve took them back to the present when they said their goodbyes.

I’m happy that Ash got the Firium (I like his flashback of Kiawe doing it, I really thought that he was going to attempt to imitate Kiawe’s passionate performance!:p) and Torracat staying a Torracat! At least Torracat finally knocked out Kukui’s Incineroar... when he was a Litten. Great episode! I loved seeing Pikachu and the others’ faces when they saw Ash and Torracat again after they came back all dirty looking!

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Actually, Kukui asked what happens when you win the Pokémon League.
Satoshi did still kinda dodge the question, though.
That is hilarious no mater which one you think about, but think specifically about what happened the last time someone won a League.

"Well, when you win a League, an evil group of fashion victim maniacs will try to destroy the world using a Legendary Pokemon that's been traveling with you and your companions for some time by brainwashing it and forcing it to do their bidding."

Kintaro

Banned
Worst episode ever since Torracat did not evolve. And yes, I'm being that bitter.

Ash's SM team is officially his worst team in the history of the entire anime. I never thought they could do worse than the Unova team, but here we are.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Worst episode ever since Torracat did not evolve. And yes, I'm being that bitter.

Ash's SM team is officially his worst team in the history of the entire anime. I never thought they could do worse than the Unova team, but here we are.
Then every episode in the history of pokémon is the worst episode ever since Torracat didn't evolve in those episodes either. Seriously, what is this ridiculous metric?

Okay, after this episode I am going to be genuinely disappointed if Satoshi's final opponent in the League ends up being anyone but Kukui. Pretty much everything about their interactions here practically screamed "We are going to fight again later and Kukui will be the winner of that fight". (Though I guess he has technically already beaten Satoshi as Royal Mask...)

Masked Royal being the one to beat Ash at the league has been somewhat obvious for a while already, especially since they haven't battled again since their first episode when Torracat couldn't really push Incineroar to a serious fight despite evolving. My guess is they'll have a serious fight at the league and will push Masked Royal and Incineroar into having to use Malicious Moonsault, and in the end Torracat will lose there. I'm just not sure yet how they'll fit 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt in there because that's the climax move and part of me expects that to be used in the final battle, but Torracat can't use that for obvious reasons.

satopi

There’s already an Incineroar to showcase it’s Z Move and to be a wrestler kitty. Ash’s Torracat isn’t going to evolve, because animating it would be hard in and of itself and Incineroar won’t be the typical nap cat like he usually is. The writers will have to find other ways to make it somewhat natural outside of it’s ball. If they wanted a starter to evolve, it could’ve been Rowlet but it seemed that they want to keep him in his basic form. Though just because his team aren’t fully evolved, it doesn’t make them weak like his Unova team. They’re strong in their own way and it’s pretty obvious they want Ash to have the pet roster of a bird, rat, dog, cat, and cute temporary mystical Pokémon. An empty slot gives me hope that Ash uses one of his old Pokémon again.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
An empty slot gives me hope that Ash uses one of his old Pokémon again.
I don't really see a need for an old pokémon to come back to be honest, and I'd really prefer him just fighting with his Alola team. This is their story, of Rowlet, Pikachu, Torracat, Lycanroc, and I guess Meltan. They're the pokémon we've been with and the pokémon the audience knows. Any old pokémon we haven't seen for ages suddenly coming back to steal spotlight will just feel out of place and a plot device. A lot of people that have started watching with Sun and Moon wouldn't even know those old pokémon. Like, just let him use his Alola team and he still has more pokémon than like everyone else.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Great episode. Disappointed about the lack of evolution for Torracat since it’s pretty much been the one Pokèmon I wanted on the cast since the start but Torracat will do I guess (yay for third region in a row for NFE Fire starter. Infernape was a blessing)

Young Kukui was adorable. His passion and enthusiasm are still very present. Seeing a Litten again made me miss Ash’s (wouldn’t mind if it stay unevolved). The Totem Trevenant was a weird yet intriguing plot point. Firium Z would’ve been nice 70 episodes ago but at least it has a Z Crystal. 8.5/10

There’s already an Incineroar to showcase it’s Z Move and to be a wrestler kitty. Ash’s Torracat isn’t going to evolve, because animating it would be hard in and of itself and Incineroar won’t be the typical nap cat like he usually is. The writers will have to find other ways to make it somewhat natural outside of it’s ball. If they wanted a starter to evolve, it could’ve been Rowlet but it seemed that they want to keep him in his basic form. Though just because his team aren’t fully evolved, it doesn’t make them weak like his Unova team. They’re strong in their own way and it’s pretty obvious they want Ash to have the pet roster of a bird, rat, dog, cat, and cute temporary mystical Pokémon. An empty slot gives me hope that Ash uses one of his old Pokémon again.
Ah yes, my favorite childhood pet growing up was the sentient glob of metal.

I don’t doubt that they feel Kukui’s Incineroar was more than enough for exposure for the Pokèmon but I don’t think any of your other reasons have any merit especially with animating Incineroar (which wouldn’t even be seen that often given that there’s ~25 episodes left)

Red and Blue

Well so much for the Ghostium Z. Looks like it will be used by Acerola or some other trainer at the league.

satopi

Ah yes, my favorite childhood pet growing up was the sentient glob of metal.
It would’ve made more sense to keep the purple spinning alien but Meltan has yet to be introduced (at the time) so, a glob of metal it is!

I don’t doubt that they feel Kukui’s Incineroar was more than enough for exposure for the Pokèmon but I don’t think any of your other reasons have any merit especially with animating Incineroar (which wouldn’t even be seen that often given that there’s ~25 episodes left)
Maybe they just prefer keeping Torracat a cat? There’s more factors to consider but in my honest opinion, they just don’t want to evolve Ash’s Torracat like they don’t want to evolve his Rowlet. And are you underestimating how hard animating Incineroar is? It’s design is hard enough to sketch, why don’t you think Kukui’s Incineroar is shown as often? This is Ash’s Pokémon which is guaranteed to get frequent screentime. A cute, basic shaped Pokémon is marketable and easier to animate, it wouldn’t be far fetched to say these are only a few of the reasons on why Ash’s team has yet to reach their fully evolved forms outside of Lycanroc.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
What was the nickname kukui gave ash? Also, I like how they kept poipole's wall painting in the basement

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
What was the nickname kukui gave ash? Also, I like how they kept poipole's wall painting in the basement
"Gao". Because of his Gaogaen hat.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
no, the other way around, the one kukui gave ash, he called him something that ended in "king"
Oh. Sorry. "Waza King". Literally "Move King". Which will almost certainly be rendered as "Move Kahuna" in the dub because of the logic he used to get to that name.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
God, young Kukui is even more insufferable than his regular self.....

Incredibly stupid for Ash to get Firium. All this time Torracat's been neglected and they give him Firium right before the League?!
And why does Soph get Bug while Mallow and Kiawe have to suffer sharing a crystal with Ash?

SM writers are by far the WORST of the anime's writers, even moreso than the BW ones

^ Agreed.
Best post posted in the anime section in years