• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash: A Timeless Encounter (1068)

OniCornwalis

Some comments I have about this episode:

RIP Grandpa Oh (19xx-2019). FeelsBadMan

I feel like Hala’s Hariyama had a better moveset as a Makuhita, with knowing both Heavy Slam and Close Combat.

I like how the anime introduced its own Totem Pokemon that wasn’t just a Gen 7/Gen 1 Alola form Pokémon like in the games. It makes me wish that there were more Totem Pokemon like Grandpa Oh in the later parts of SM, ones that were separate from the games and had their own personalities.

After watching this episode, I realized why episode 124 was outsourced to that Korean animation studio; it’s so that the animation team could get more time to create amazing animation moments like the ones present in this episode. If the league has animation this good throughout the arc, this could be the best league ever from a visual standpoint.
Giving Ash any of the starters was a mistake, if there's no intention to fully evolve it, DON"T give it to Ash. Ash deserves to have reliable and strong Pokemon, NOT screwed over. Look at how bad it was in 5th generation, Bianca, Trip, and Cameron all had fully evolved starters. Not Ash because apparently (thanks to the writers/producers) Ash is garbage and deserves to be treated as such (apparently)

Ah yes, Ash’s Torterra was such a reliable and strong Pokemon that totally didn’t lose all of its personality and have its battle record destroyed after it evolved. Also, Ash didn’t need a fully evolved starter in Unova because he had a badass Krookodile that wrecked house in style with his awesome shades.

Last edited:

Aleh

«Last Hope»
My god, I almost teared up when Pikachu saw Ash. Unexpected feels left and right in this season, damn.
What a great episode.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Also, they're sure enjoying to show Kukui, Burnet and Ash as a family, you basically forgets Delia is Ash's mom (poor woman).

As much as I like Delia and think she's a good mother, sometimes I kind of wish Burnett was his mother. Really, their interactions are really cool and Burnett feels a good figure.

I think I would have like SM a lot more if it just focused on Ash's interactions with his "Alola family"

I'm kinda surprised they went for an explored territory with a ghost type actually dying. How does it work for a "ghost" pokemon? And why does torracat episodes always involve some grim fact?

He is partially black so maybe he just brings death rather than bad luck?

Yeah, I like how ash doesn't do an over the top monologue (with the closest to one being with 10mv), it's pretty in character for him to just be straightforward but still excited, my favorite time this happened was at the end of the necrozma arc, where ash just said "Let's go! Solgaleo!" while Gladion did an over the top edgy monologue about the moon's demonic eyes or something.

Sometimes I wonder what Ash is thinking when he sees those speeches?

Maybe he thinks "Man, do they really need to exagerate so much? Just shout the freaking move name already".

Just look how he performs the Z-move poses. He is very straight-forward about those. I admit that sometimes that makes the sequence lose impact but it's a nice implied character quirk.

Ash became the big brother to his adopted dad. (I don't care if the episode called Ash and present day Kukui brothers, too. He's adopted and you'll never convince me otherwise.)

I'd never try to convince you because I have a similar opinion.

Though I'd say Kukui has been more of a father to Ash than whoever is that mysterious, elusive and nameless figure we call "Ash's dad".

Sometimes I wonder if the games haven't stabilished a wife for Kukui, they could have just made him his actual father.

One thing I'm interested in is how Ash will explain how he got the Firium Z
"err, I got it from a dead tree in the past."
"...Tapu Koko gave it to me."
"It appeared out of thin air."
"I... err stole it."

I think Ash would just tell the truth: he's met a very excited boy, helped out a Trevenant who then gives him Firium. After all, the episode implies that Ash and Torracat just weren't aware they time-travelled.

Why are people disturbed by what was essentially a living dead tree. It was already dead to begin with.

Maybe they are pissed because it died again?

Sooo they're FAKERS.

Everyone singing the Persona 5 theme time?

p96822

Evolve me please
Torracat's Fire Blast did nothing to Lycanroc's Stone Edge then Torracat's Inferno Overdrive was able to destroyed a giant rock formation that was shape as a Druddigon.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Torracat's Fire Blast did nothing to Lycanroc's Stone Edge then Torracat's Inferno Overdrive was able to destroyed a giant rock formation that was shape as a Druddigon.

The entire point of Z-Moves is that they're supposed to be super-powered versions of regular moves. If Fire Blast couldn't destroy a rock, then a souped-up version of the same move should.

Also that's not true. We clearly saw Fire Blast hit one of the stones, but Ash was sent back before we could see what happened to it.

p96822

Evolve me please
The entire point of Z-Moves is that they're supposed to be super-powered versions of regular moves. If Fire Blast couldn't destroy a rock, then a souped-up version of the same move should.

Also that's not true. We clearly saw Fire Blast hit one of the stones, but Ash was sent back before we could see what happened to it.

It was engoped in flames. I know that Z Moves are suppose to be a super powerful moves of the regular, but I think that the regular move should have enough power to do it. It Fire Blast for crying out loud, it should be much more powerful then that.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
The amount of times Satoshi has time traveled, even outside the movie universe, is insane, especially with Celebi in particular and for a series that doesn't focus around time traveling. Though, unlike the other Celebi encounters, Ash didn't meet this one, which kind of sucks.

The writing in this series is honestly probably worse than the original series. I have to keep reiterating this, because there are never any improvements no matter how many breaks I take from the series and how much further in episodes this series gets. Anyway, while Satoshi did dodge the question on what happens after beating the Pokemon League, he and we (as in some of us) factually knows what happens after that. There was no reason for the writers to have Ash ignore the kid's question when Satoshi knows the answer and because it was already said in previous generation series. The guy even referenced details of his travels from other regions, so again this is incompetent writing or perhaps continuity.

Secondly, no they cannot use this to fuel Kukai into beating Satoshi in a potential match up at the league, in the traditional sense anyway. Kukai had already beaten Ash a total of two times at least, before his kid self fought him. He obtained his defeat in the past, and he technically redeemed himself two times over as an adult, against Satoshi's pre-mature Torracat (Litten) and it's slightly less pre-mature Torracat, the same form of the Pokemon kid Kukai lost to. There needs to be more depth than standard motivation for Kukai to defeat Satoshi at the league, especially since the redemption factor is completely non-existent this time around. So basically, they'd need to copy/pasta Alan (which dear god was handled bad) + add more depth, especially.. wait.. yeah especially since Kukai's only dream is successfully building the league. No other reasoning can justify him beating Satoshi other than the "you're strong, but im stronger/have more experience than you" concept.

I think a follow-up to this episode is needed, because I can't see what exactly it is Satoshi did for Kukai in the past. Satoshi merely mentioned Gym Leaders and Leagues earlier than when Kukai was going to know about them regardless, so that's not it. That goes for other concepts like the showing of the fire z move, too. Only thing I got was Ash making the typical impact to fuel the targeted character's goals or whatever. The book of present/future Kukai didn't even show Satoshi, an evolved Torracat, or anything like that, though. This episode also made certain prior episodes age poorly, especially when they added the detail this episode to have Ash's less experienced (than Kukai's Incineroar) Torracat sniff out a younger Incineroar in the form of a Litten all the way in the past.

All that out the way, I actually love the fact that Satoshi was able to perform the Dynamic Full Flame without a guide whatsoever and without having the firium earned. That's significant, and it highlighted his experience, which is the polar opposite of the first or second episode where he couldn't perform a z move successfully. Going off nothing but experience and observation of another person doing the pose, shows how much Satoshi has grown.

Yes, I know i'm late, but that what happens when a boring series has you lose interest in following it every week or so.

Ash's SM team is officially his worst team in the history of the entire anime. I never thought they could do worse than the Unova team, but here we are.

His Johto team is worse. His Unova team was never the worse at any point, and im referring to their states at the end of their respective series, as in when Dophan was still a Phanpy and Quilava was still a Cynaquil. Snivy, Pignite, Krookodile, Leavanny, Pikachu (yes im counting him, especially since it was the focus for that series) were all awesome. Palpitoad and Scraggy were also pretty damn competent.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Ash got sent to the 80s. I deducted this because Kukui appears to be in his 30s in the present day.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
The amount of times Satoshi has time traveled, even outside the movie universe, is insane, especially with Celebi in particular and for a series that doesn't focus around time traveling. Though, unlike the other Celebi encounters, Ash didn't meet this one, which kind of sucks.
What happened more, Ash dying or traveling in time?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Some random thoughts I had over the course of watching this episode:

Wow. Celebi. This season just keeps adding more and more legendaries and mythicals

Wow so Ash is gonna time-travel in this episode isn’t he

Wow so Professor Kukui's past self is gonna teach Ash Inferno Overdrive!

Torracat merced Litten!

Totem Trevenant!

Wow a bunch of Cutiefly are living in the Trevenant's bush!

So this is how Ash gets his Firium Z!

Whoa! That giant tree in the future is actually just Trevenant who died!

Wow! In the meantime Pikachu has transformed into Ash-Cap Pikachu!

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
What was the nickname kukui gave ash? Also, I like how they kept poipole's wall painting in the basement

In a thread where people were discussing who Ash's 6th at the league would be, you were the only one to figure it out

Sometimes I wonder if the games haven't stabilished a wife for Kukui, they could have just made him his actual father.

Nah, he's too young for Delia.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
My age headcanon for Delia is that she was born in 1962.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Oak should be pushing 70 by now