• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash and a Water Type Starter

Tom Nook

Feel free to browse
Numel seems like a good choice although they'd probably try to make it faster than it shoulde like Torkoal was. The idea of a Numel or Camerupt jumping around seems very odd.

But once they'd given May Torchic the only options were Torkoal or Numel. Wonder why Torkoal got chosen...

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
They probably gave him Torkoal because it has no evolution, so they didn't have to evolve it or anything.

Plus Torkoal is ugly looking, it was so nice that in Hoenn Ash had almost no cute Pokemon.

I remember when Hoenn was airing for the first time, it was such a shock. Not only did Ash not get all the starters (which was a surprise at the time), but all his Pokemon seemed to go toward "tough" rather than "cute."

Sceptile, Swellow, Corphish, Torkoal, Glalie and later Donphan...not a single Pokemon on his AG roster was cutesy in any way.

It was such an unexpected change from Johto.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
XD badass bibarel? Thats funny. Anyway as someone said just cause its astarter doesnt mean its all powerful. They could always give him another type and have it equally strong. I found torkoal a real good pokemon. Camerupt on ash team would be meh to tell you the truth.

scizor master

Put scizor on these!
I think buizel is a good choice for ash's sinnoh water its shown it has ability and is competant in battle and has an evoloution (please evolve !) so it could well be ash's water "powerhouse".

hmmm

Scuffle of Legends
I liked them both a lot. They each held their ground and had cool personalities, some more annoying though.....haha
I also believe that in the new BF, which will hopefully be in Johto, Ash will bring Totodile along. This way Totodile will be in his native land, and will evolve to Feraligatr so Ash will have fully evolved fire starters, a fully evolved grass starter, and a fully evolved water starter.

A little off to the side, but Ash has never evolved his main water pokemon.
Squirtle, nope.
Totodile, nope.
Corphish, nope.
Buizel, has no sign of it in my opinon. He has too much pride, and has beaten a Floatzel already.

The only water pokemon he evolved was Krabby, and that was in its first battle and was a league battle. Krabby was not his main pokemon.

scizor master

Put scizor on these!
I liked them both a lot. They each held their ground and had cool personalities, some more annoying though.....haha
I also believe that in the new BF, which will hopefully be in Johto, Ash will bring Totodile along. This way Totodile will be in his native land, and will evolve to Feraligatr so Ash will have fully evolved fire starters, a fully evolved grass starter, and a fully evolved water starter.

A little off to the side, but Ash has never evolved his main water pokemon.
Squirtle, nope.
Totodile, nope.
Corphish, nope.
Buizel, has no sign of it in my opinon. He has too much pride, and has beaten a Floatzel already.

The only water pokemon he evolved was Krabby, and that was in its first battle and was a league battle. Krabby was not his main pokemon.

Lots of people forget kingler and it had the potential to be the best...

Electivirus

Not really, no.
Lots of people forget kingler and it had the potential to be the best...

Until Ash dumped it off at Oak's lab to rot for all eternity. That is, until he withdrew it to battle in the Whirl Cup! Yay!...where it was promptly beaten by Misty's Psyduck. -_- Man, that was embarassing.

Sad thing is, it was played entirely for laughs.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Oh, and than the Johto League...

...that was pretty sad what happened to Kingler.

Subject to a Voltorb explosion, right?

Yeah, Kingler got the short end of the stick out of his Water Pokemon. Shame....Generation 4 really helped it out, it might have been nice to show that in the anime.

Torpoleon

Ash has good water type starter but Corphish and Buizel are strong water types.

thunderblade12

Totodile is probably Ash's weakest pokemon, its only victories were against some random trainers Kingdra in the Whirl Cup and Harrison's Sneasle..not very impressive.

Ash's water pokemon have always gotten the shaft, in Kanto Squirtle was only in 2 gyms and it lost almost immediately in Blaine's and didn't have a real win in Giovanni's. Totodile was only in 1 gym and failed miserably. Corphish was in quite a few and I think it even starred in one and everyone knows about Buizel

Buck The Bidoof Masta

No HM Slaves Here
when i say Totodile and then saw its evolution i automatically saw potential as ash's best, but we know how that turned out.

thunderblade12

This generation was kinda limited on fire and water types. If there is ever a generation when there is no good water pokemon for Ash AT ALL, then Totodile might tag along.

Tom Nook

Feel free to browse
The original league had so many issues with it it's hard to count them on two hands. Pidgeotto didn't even battle. Krabby had Deus Ex evolution (although the Seadra and Golbat battles were fair). We only saw the last round of Ash's second and third matches.

After Pidgeotto, Squirtle was probably the second poke most underdone in the league. All it did was beat a Nidorino in 5 seconds and fall asleep in the Richie battle. It did very well in the Orange League though.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
In honestly think as it stands Buizel is Ash's strongest Water Type right now, dont get me Wrong I love Squirtle, but None of it's battles were very impressive, though knowing Hydro Pump is cool, Buizel has fough nothing but evolved pokemon since it got captured, it even managed to beat some really strong pokemon, every Strong pokemon Squirtle beat it had a type advantage except Rudy's Starmie

thunderblade12

Isn't the fire fighting thing supposed to be giving Squirtle some "special training" though? I still wonder if Ash's pokemon train themselves at Oak's lab

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Squirtle was probably strong before Ash caught it.

We don't know how many years it was with the Squirtle Squad before it joined Ash.

Some of you are forgetting Squirtle's battle in the Orange Gym Vs. Rudy, I loved the way it used Hydro Pump to take out Rudy's Starmie.