• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash and a Water Type Starter

Buck The Bidoof Masta

No HM Slaves Here
My posts in the Elemental Hyper Beam topic got me thinking, has Ash had a reliable water starter?

Squirtle: While only lately(in the Brandon Re-Match) has Squirtle impressed me. Even then I dont think he was ever that great.

Totodile: I never remembered him much aside from when he bit Harrison's Sneasel(which was funny as hell btw) and a few other things.

Thats it huh?

Ash has a great Grass starter, Sceptile. No doubt Charizard is his best fire starter. 2 E-Hyper Beam candidates. We are missing the water portion.

So, what would you like to see from a water starter focused tenure through some other region? What would your expectations be? How would you like his/her story to play out? Would you want another starter to stand with him?

What would your expectations out of him be in terms of....

Evolution stage? I think a mandatory 3rd evolution is in play.
Signature Attacks? Overheat(Charizard), Solarbeam/Leaf Blade(Sceptile)

discuss?

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
What od you meant Squirtle wasn't that great? I love Squirtle! I don't like May's Squirtle, but Ash's Squirtle s the bomb! It had Bulbasaur stand with him because they were best friends! Who cares if Ash gets anymore regional water starters? Squirtle was good enogh for me, always has been, always will be.

Case closed.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Seeing as how they just love to give Ash a grass starter, which I dont mind, I guess they could continue with this trend, though I would like to see Totodile be brough back and evolve... Johto got shafted so it deserves a chance imo

Buck The Bidoof Masta

No HM Slaves Here
Seeing as how they just love to give Ash a grass starter, which I dont mind, I guess they could continue with this trend, though I would like to see Totodile be brough back and evolve... Johto got shafted so it deserves a chance imo

To tell you the truth im all for Jhoto to be brought out of (again imo) Kanto's shadow. Could you imagine a playful feraligator!? Id be amused and wary of my fingers at the same time.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Why does it matter if Ash has a water starter?

Both Buizel and Corphish are great Pokemon who have had tons of great battles, I'd rather Ash have them than another water starter.

OBSESSED WITH PKNM

I'M BACK...MISS ME?

Both Buizel and Corphish are great Pokemon who have had tons of great battles, I'd rather Ash have them than another water starter.

yeah other pknm are sometimes better then starters because you don't really think of them as being a water pknm for ash. plus anyways the random pknm that are the same types as a starter are better.

Faerie

MONS
Squirtle was a darn good Pokemon, but it still didn't get the full third-evolution it might have, just because of the Squirte Squad. That limited how far they could go with it and its training.

I think Satoshi is overdue for a Water-type starter that gets to evolve at least once. He hasn't had one at all for the last two regions, and his Johto and Kanto ones didn't evolve at all.

DarkDragonite.

My posts in the Elemental Hyper Beam topic got me thinking, has Ash had a reliable water starter?

Squirtle: While only lately(in the Brandon Re-Match) has Squirtle impressed me. Even then I dont think he was ever that great.

Totodile: I never remembered him much aside from when he bit Harrison's Sneasel(which was funny as hell btw) and a few other things.

Thats it huh?

Ash has a great Grass starter, Sceptile. No doubt Charizard is his best fire starter. 2 E-Hyper Beam candidates. We are missing the water portion.

So, what would you like to see from a water starter focused tenure through some other region? What would your expectations be? How would you like his/her story to play out? Would you want another starter to stand with him?

What would your expectations out of him be in terms of....

Evolution stage? I think a mandatory 3rd evolution is in play.
Signature Attacks? Overheat(Charizard), Solarbeam/Leaf Blade(Sceptile)

discuss?

I also would like to see Ash break from the norm of having his fire/grass starters being the primary pokes for evolution. Perhaps in the 5th Gen he can have a water/poison starter which is a sea urchin :O , and have it evolve all the way to its final stage. But in all seriousness there too many damn sinnoh starters running a muck, Dawn's piplup, Jun's Empoleon, that contest kid's prinplup, Ash's grotle, Paul's Torterra etc.

Last edited:

scizor master

Put scizor on these!
I think the reason ash didnt get a the hoenn and sinnoh water starters is because they we're too "girly" where as buizel isn't. I think buizel will be ash's eventual water powerhouse well if it evolves anyway which i think it should do but the writers would naturally screw things up...

DarkDragonite.

I think the reason ash didnt get a the hoenn and sinnoh water starters is because they we're too "girly" where as buizel isn't. I think buizel will be ash's eventual water powerhouse well if it evolves anyway which i think it should do but the writers would naturally screw things up...

So wrong. Penguins are real bad^%& . Real men use Penguins. Besides if cuteness is a problem he could always rush its evolution to the manly Empoleon. But yeah obviously buizel is the reason he doesn't have one this gen.

latios reborn

Mudkip and Piplup Girly?? maybe so but their evolutions are not.

firelovindocker

well i agree with most of you mudkip andpiplup really dont suit ash

sg_p3

Aussie Wonder

Yeah i totally agree. I mean, it is true that Ash might me lacking slightly in the water starter department (that's not saying Squirtle is weak) but Ash's water types he has now are awsome. The only reason people are complaining is because (besides Kingler) Ash has never had a powerhouse evolved water type.

fosterfossil

The prey bites back!
Squirtle was totally awesome during the orange island battle if i re-call.... i mean that hydro pump on that onix it was cool

totodile was always funny and all but i think if it evolved into croconaw it would be awesome i mean croconaw looks amazing