• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash and Passimian! A Touchdown of Friendship!! (1007)

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Is it true this episode is going to be skipped in the dub? I see there's an English title for SM63 and SM65 but no 64.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Is it true this episode is going to be skipped in the dub? I see there's an English title for SM63 and SM65 but no 64.

Serebii does seeem to have an English title for SM64, "Turning Heads and Training Hard!". But someone also mentioned on Discord it might get banned, apparently there are people on 4chan and bulbapedia saying it. I don't know how truthful those reports are though, but I can see how Ash getting painted black and joining a group of monkeys could be perceived as racially insensitive. I don't think it's intended as such at all, but I could see the Pokémon Company erring on the side of caution as insensitivities with these things can blow up really quickly on the internet.

Henry's Journey

Serebii does seeem to have an English title for SM64, "Turning Heads and Training Hard!". But someone also mentioned on Discord it might get banned, apparently there are people on 4chan and bulbapedia saying it. I don't know how truthful those reports are though, but I can see how Ash getting painted black and joining a group of monkeys could be perceived as racially insensitive. I don't think it's intended as such at all, but I could see the Pokémon Company erring on the side of caution as insensitivities with these things can blow up really quickly on the internet.

Political correctness is going overboard in the USA, I don't agree at all with censorship of SM064 (even if it was a pointless filler) and I am afro-latino so **** them for that.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Political correctness is going overboard in the USA, I don't agree at all with censorship of SM064 (even if it was a pointless filler) and I am afro-latino so **** them for that.

You don't have to resort to foul language for disagreeing with them though... It's not even something political, it's a social norm, and different people draw that norm at different places. You are just one person, and of course not all people of African descent are going to be offended by this episode, but that doesn't mean that the opinion of those that do think it's insensitive and/or racist should be ignored. It's not about right or wrong, it's subjective, not factual.

Ashton Ketchum

Another reason will amaze the logic of American censors. Who do not censor what they should ("funny" faces), but at the same time prohibit a whole episode (and replace alcohol with juice and censor the "crucifixion"). Do not think that I'm now defending SM, but - and you could have removed the paint from Ash's face, the suit would be long enough. Or someone from the American division of the Pokemon Company is sorry to pay OLM for such a major change, as for... you know what. What's wrong, in the name of Arceus, with this world?!

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Another reason will amaze the logic of American censors. Who do not censor what they should ("funny" faces)

"Don't like, censor it" isn't a valid argument for/against censorship in the slightest. In fact, it's the weakest and dumbest argument.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
You don't have to resort to foul language for disagreeing with them though... It's not even something political, it's a social norm, and different people draw that norm at different places. You are just one person, and of course not all people of African descent are going to be offended by this episode, but that doesn't mean that the opinion of those that do think it's insensitive and/or racist should be ignored. It's not about right or wrong, it's subjective, not factual.
I'm not going through those political/social debates, but it's unfortunate that they're going to miss out things like this episode, where other places in the world don't really feel much about that particular issue.

Daizy

I call you honey

Interesting. This episode is kinda lame anyways since nothing good happens in it, but it pains me to see it supposedly skipped just because of PC culture and SJWs getting triggered.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
So this episode gets banned because of SJW and PC culture... and the fact Ash's Passimian costume is indeed racist towards blacks. I believe this episode would have had nothing but controversy slapped all over it because Passimian is a monkey-like Pokemon, and "monkey" is a derogatory term towards the black people. TPCi could have censored Ash's face by editing out the black paint, but I guess they wanted to go the cowardly safe route and cut the episode out entirely due to fear of racism.

So in a nutshell, Ash having a black painted face and hanging out with monkeys is perceived as racism.

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
Due to this ban more people will be aware of this episode then they would have been otherwise, it's just more offended due to nothing culture going around society these days.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
I don't know how to feel about this. And i'm black. But i haven't seen any pics of it to come to any conclusion. But i have noticed that we as a community have gotten overly sensitive about some things over the years. Sometimes i wonder if one day we'll call foul on the Donkey Kong Country cartoon for having black VA voicing monkeys and singing R&B songs?? SMH

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
It is a bit of a thorny subject but given it is possible some overly sensitive person may blow this unintended racism out of proportion on social media the devs would rather take the safe route by banning the episode than deal with a potential lawsuit.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
There are far more controversial episodes that are still in rotation that shouldn't be (ex. Kalos League final)

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
There are far more controversial episodes that are still in rotation that shouldn't be (ex. Kalos League final)

What makes you think the Kalos League final should have been banned? There was nothing controversial about it, Ash lost just like he has in every other league he has participated in. What makes this league different from any other league we’ve had in the past?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
My whole thoughts on the episode is that it's a mediocre one that garnered way too much attention. Sure, the Pokemon in question is supposed to be a lemur, but the ape-like qualities could be enough to give the unfortunate implication, especially with the blackface in the costume. After all, black people were seen as apes before they were seen as humans.

Unfortunately, this episode fell victim to the Streisand effect.

The problems with that episode are story and plot, not because of cultural norms making something seem racist or broadcast standards. I don't think it should be in rotation. Using this logic, terrible movies like Norm of the North and Fant4stic should be removed from the public.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
T̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶h̶y̶p̶o̶t̶h̶e̶t̶i̶c̶a̶l̶ ̶S̶J̶W̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶.̶

Well, this is a shame. I liked this episode. Imagine if Ash caught one of these Pokémon and people would be confused as to why he suddenly has a rugby lemur on his team.