• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash and the starters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Here's a question...why does Ash have to have at least one starter all the time?Yeah,I know,they are marketable...but so are other pokemon.The thing is,I don't like it cuz they always get the spotlight,ALWAYS.They get shoved our throats like they are special,but they are just like any other pokemon.In the games,do you treat your starter differently?It's annoying cuz we are supposed to watch POKEMON not "The tales of Ash,Pikachu and his starters"

Last edited:

sSerenity

It's why I love Hoenn <3

What would the possible team of Ash without starters be ?

Pikachu
Rufflet
Scraggy
Palpitoad
Larvesta
Deerling

pokeaussie37

Here's a question...why does Ash have to have at least one starter all the time?Yeah,I know,they are marketable...but so are other pokemon.The thing is,I don't like it cuz they always get the spotlight,ALWAYS.They get shoved our throats like they are special,but they are just like any other pokemon.In the games,do you treat your starter differently?It's annoying cuz we are supposed to watch POKEMON not "The tales of Ash,Pikachu and his starters"

You answered your own question. They're marketable. In addition, they're the most marketable. And as the anime is mainly an advertisement for the games, the starters symbolise those games the most. There's no real other reason.

I agree with Sirperas, I rather enjoyed him having only the one starter. I don't mind him having one at all. I will admit I was a little disappointed that Unova gave him all three when I actually like a lot of the other Pokemon.

And as for the last thing? Well, the anime is ultimately the story you pointed out, of Ash and Pikachu, and you can throw in his starters for good measure. So that's what you're watching!

phantasystar69

He will most likely always have one starter from the region. i am not a fan of him getting all three, but then again I am bored with the water+fire+grass+flyer+wildcard team makeup as well. Have the starters be new types.

Rowdy

What I wonder is why the anime team feel the need to have Ash needing the full starter lineup (excluding Hoen's 1 and Sinnoh's 2) and the regional bird, yet they don't have Ash get the first big intro of the new generation (Lucario for 4th gen or Zoroark for 5th gen) or their pre-evolved forms.

My only issue I had with the Sinnoh arc was Ash NOT getting a Riolu egg (or a Riolu in general) from Iron Island as I had been expecting it.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Ash doesn't have one starter out all the time and at least it isn't like how Piplup appeared in almost every single episode in Sinnoh.

Plus, they are marketable and they too need attention, battles and development, even if only one particular got some development.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan

They are there to promote the game, they are marketable like you said but they are also normally very dynamic pokemons and people like them.

I don't care if they get the spotlight, as along as others do something, which always happens, I don't remember in any region any pokemon that did nothing at all.

I have no problem with that and them getting the focus.

Infernape, Quilava and Sceptile are still my two favourite along with Buizel pokemons to see Satoshi use in battle(not including this region), because I love their fightning style and how it translates into the anime.

I don't treat my starter diferently but I do have in my second run the 3 starters most of the time and the are my strongest pokemons usually.

Attention I am a starters fan though, I like every starter and they are my favourites pokemons(atleast most of them), so people might think I'm biased but I'm trying not to be and give a reasonable answer(I think I did besides saying I like how those 3 fight).

What I wonder is why the anime team feel the need to have Ash needing the full starter lineup (excluding Hoen's 1 and Sinnoh's 2) and the regional bird, yet they don't have Ash get the first big intro of the new generation (Lucario for 4th gen or Zoroark for 5th gen) or their pre-evolved forms.

My only issue I had with the Sinnoh arc was Ash NOT getting a Riolu egg (or a Riolu in general) from Iron Island as I had been expecting it.

Most people do that ingame, I do that, I catch the bird always and stick with it, all my friends do that also, in this region we got Rufflet and a lot of people like it and that is probably why people are suggesting he didn't get the regional bird, I like this traditions, some traditions need to be broken but I like this ones, as far as I'm concerned let them stay.

Yeah I though he would get a Rioulo too, maybe if he did the rotation in Sinnoh already he would have gotten one, I even though Rioulo made some sense and they teased it a few times with Lucario/Rioulo interactions.

With that in mind, there is no actual reason for it them to be caught, Zorua has absolutelly no reason, Rioulo maybe like I said, due to the Aura stuff and all that teasing.

Not that I woulnd't like Zorua, my only issue with Zorua was that its transformation gag would be overdone, which kinda happened in the Don Battle arc already and proved me rigth.

Last edited:

Kameinu

Arooo!
Hoenn was managed the best IMO. He was fine with Treecko, and him not having other starters to hog the spotlight allowed for the other Pokemon to get a chance. Both reserves and those on his then current team.

Sinnoh was passable with him having Turtwig and Chimchar because of Chimchar's story. It was pretty clever of the writers to make us think Turtwig would have a similar role on his team like Sceptile did and then it not ending up being that way.

In Unova. I can't forgive the writers. The distribution of his Unova Pokemon has been handled so horribly. Maybe if he didn't have Snivy and Tepig it wouldn't feel so awful. Oshawott is the one that deserves to stay the most thanks to the mere fact that we haven't had a fully evolve water starter be on Team Twerp. (Useless Piplup..<_<)

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I'm going to have to jump on the Hoenn wagon for this one. Starter wise it was the best handled even with Brock's failure Mudkip. Ash only had Treecko, it fully evolved and he got four previously unmarketable Pokemon on his team and made them unique. May was the only person in Hoenn to have the Torchic line and she got it all the way to Blaziken. I don't know why they stopped doing it this way. I loved that Ash only had one starter in Hoenn, it makes his Hoenn team stand out from the rest and is why it is my favorite Ash team to this day. Nowadays you get numerous people owning the same starter line in different forms overexposing the line itself and once again Ash has all three starters. So boring, I don't even care that Ash could finally get a fully evolved water starter. Why did they stop the Hoenn formula? Hoenn's not my favorite saga but there were several things that Hoenn did right that I wish they carried into the following sagas.

Last edited:

jrizza88

Meteorite
I am honestly annoyed with the fact that he received a fire starter again. That must be the writers favorite type for Ash. I did forget that Hoenn didnt give him a fire type, which mean you can argue grass is his favorite. But, with the way Infernape shined, it makes me hope that Tepig and it's eventual evolution won't be Infernape 2.0

Dax

Legend
Because the main purpose of the anime is not to have good writing or entertain the kids, is advertisement.The only way they can promote those games and get money is by using the most marketable and accessible pokemon in the games and those are the starters.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Because the main purpose of the anime is not to have good writing or entertain the kids, is advertisement.The only way they can promote those games and get money is by using the most marketable and accessible pokemon in the games and those are the starters.

That's pretty much the answer we're looking for. Some people fail to realize that the anime is all about advertisement, though. Like the Oshawott haters who complain every time Oshawott gets screentime; you'd think they'd be used to overexposed Starter Pokemon by now, but I guess the concept still hasn't sunk in.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
That's pretty much the answer we're looking for. Some people fail to realize that the anime is all about advertisement, though. Like the Oshawott haters who complain every time Oshawott gets screentime; you'd think they'd be used to overexposed Starter Pokemon by now, but I guess the concept still hasn't sunk in.

Oi, Tepig's a starter too, and there are many, many people who think that he's cuter than Oshawott. That's why (other than glorious, subtly heartwrenching battles) he should get more adver- more screentime than Oshawott. Same goes for Snivy, wouldn't Smugleaf have a similar level of memetic popularity over in Japan, too?

Raichu:)

Fire Type Expert
I'm going to have to jump on the Hoenn wagon for this one. Starter wise it was the best handled even with Brock's failure Mudkip. Ash only had Treecko, it fully evolved and he got four previously unmarketable Pokemon on his team and made them unique. May was the only person in Hoenn to have the Torchic line and she got it all the way to Blaziken. I don't know why they stopped doing it this way. I loved that Ash only had one starter in Hoenn, it makes his Hoenn team stand out from the rest and is why it is my favorite Ash team to this day. Nowadays you get numerous people owning the same starter line in different forms overexposing the line itself and once again Ash has all three starters. So boring, I don't even care that Ash could finally get a fully evolved water starter. Why did they stop the Hoenn formula? Hoenn's not my favorite saga but there were several things that Hoenn did right that I wish they carried into the following sagas.

Do you know what, i couldn't agree more!

Im not gunna lie i loved hoenn, and the way ash's team was handled, for the most part, was very good.

yeah most of them didn't evolve but got good development enough and were bloody strong!

i like unova starters but i think all three was abit overkill, i love them, but if they keep them in base form then thats just naf.....

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
So far, Dax, Kira, and Elice are the only ones with common sense in this thread. The anime advertises the games. Don't like it? Stop ****ing watching it.

amittal12

Sceptile Maniac
Do you know what, i couldn't agree more!

Im not gunna lie i loved hoenn, and the way ash's team was handled, for the most part, was very good.

yeah most of them didn't evolve but got good development enough and were bloody strong!

i like unova starters but i think all three was abit overkill, i love them, but if they keep them in base form then thats just naf.....

Corphish is the only evolution-capable Pokémon Ash caught in Hoenn that did not evolve.

^this

and i hope this happens

Oshawott>Samurott
Tepig
Snivy>Serperior.

Tepig should not evolve coz its so cute.

Dancing Togekiss

i think the reason ash uses starters is for advirtising.
i wouldnt mind a series where he doesnt catch any starter. or maybe just 1 like he did in the hoenn region

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Because Ash has all three starters they'd better have all three of them FULLY Evolved by the near end of the saga I don't want to see just Trips Serperior advertised. Besides if your gong to advertise all three Starter lines you might as well have Ash have all three.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Because Ash has all three starters they'd better have all three of them FULLY Evolved by the near end of the saga I don't want to see just Trips Serperior advertised. Besides if your gong to advertise all three Starter lines you might as well have Ash have all three.

Ash had all three regional Starter Pokemon in both Kanto and Johto, but they didn't all evolve. I highly doubt that Ash's Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott will reach their final forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.