• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash and Trip's Third Battle (693)

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
-The episode opens with...Dento cooking. Yawn.
-Ash and Iris are playing in the trees, and a leaf falls in Dento's precious stew. He is NOT PLEASED. And...Dento accidently knocks his stew over, to his great horror. IT'S SHOCKING TIME?!
-After the opening, we return to Dento being depressed(obviously) and Ash and Iris looking rather apolegetic.
-Dento's voice gets terrifyingly deep when he's mad. And...actually, angry Dento is terrifying in general.
-Then Iris whips out some apples while acting as if nothing is wrong at all. Dento calms down a bit, but he's still not happy.
-Iris and Ash are arguing about whose fault it is, even though it's clearly BOTH their faults. Which is fine and dandy and all, but when are we going to get to Trip?
-Now they're going to race to a tree? Well okay then.
-Ash misses one of his vines, and starts sliding down a cliff. Sounds like a recipe for starting the REAL episode!
-Meanwhile, Vanillite uses ice beam on Palpitoad! Yes, it's finally Trip time.
-Ash happens to slide onto the scene just in time to be hit by Trip's Pokeball. Then Paliptoad makes its escape. Oops!
-Trip is understandably annoyed that Ash cost him his capture. Ash is apolegetic. I'm sensing a theme here.
-Iris catches up with Ash, and yes, she's scared of Ice types. It's pretty funny seeing her hair puff up like that. ...and Trip just calls her weird.
-Iris says her fear has something to do with Dragon types being weak to Ice types, but Ash is just confused by all this.
-Trip overhears Iris' comments about training Dragon Pokemon, which piques his interest...so he takes some pictures of her.
-Meanwhile, Dento is making another delicious stew. He calls for Ash and Iris, but gets no response. So his next plan of action is...cooking more stuff!
-Back where the action's at, Trip challenges Iris to a battle! Ash demands a battle instead(because he apparently doesn't understand that Trip might want to battle other people sometimes maybe possibly). Iris, on the other hand, just thinks about her troublemaking Excadrill and Emolga & declines the battle.
-Ash insists on a battle again, and Trip just wonders if Ash's Pokemon have leveled up at all before wandering off to find Palpitoad again.
-Iris pulls out the "call Trip a kid" card again, and it works again.
-Ash brags about having three badges...but that backfires, since Trip has four!
-I'm digging the BGM right now. Just fyi.
-After the commercial break, we find that Dento has baked a cake! But wait, Ash and Iris are still late! Dwebble and Pansage searched for them to no avail, and Dento is somewhat depressed that they did fail. So he...oh, fuck it, I can't keep up the rhyming anymore. BACK TO THE BATTLE.
-Trip's disappointed that Snivy still hasn't evolved. I swear to god this had better not be building up to Snivy NEVER evolving just to prove that it can still be strong without evolution.
-Haha, Axew got so bored by Trip & Ash's arguing that it started yawning.
-I just realized that the battle didn't actually start until halfway through the episode. GODDAMMIT.
-Trip's Servine is strong enough to repel Attract with a simple Grass Mixer. Looks like Ash needs an actual plan!
-ROUND ONE VICTOR: Trip!
-Trip's babbling about levels again, and...wait, he just mentioned the Champion!
-Flashback time! Little kid Trip is adorable!
-Alder has a BUFFAFRO BOUFFALANT! And it knows Afro Break! (sorry, but that will forever be a cooler name than Head Smash) Hell yeah!
-Aw, little Trip has big dreams of being the Champion someday. And Alder promises to battle Trip if he can get that far. Adorable!
-The battle resumes, and Trip sends out Timburr! It has a deeper voice than I was anticipating.
-Ash chooses Oshawott, which is kind of intimidated by the weird muscular thing pointing lumber at it.
-Leading with Aqua Jet? That's...kind of a stupid choice, since Oshawott's still having trouble with it.
-Oshawott flies around wildly, and...Trip seems to notice something, so he starts snapping pictures of it.
-Ash demands to know why Trip was taking pictures of that, so Trip shows him photographic evidence of Oshawott's problem. It closes its eyes when using Aqua Jet! That's...surprisingly helpful of Trip.
-After a short battle, Oshawott wins! ...there was literally no point to that except for Ash to discover the problem with Aqua Jet, wasn't there?
-To round out the starter trio, Ash sends out Tepig as his last Pokemon! And Trip uses...Vanillite?
-Watching Iris' hair puff out like that is still amusing.
-I have to admit, despite my original "Trip has a derpy ice cream? Pffffffft" reaction, the animators really made Vanillite look respectable. (as respectable as a living ice cream can get, anyway)
-It's a double knockout, meaning that the battle is a tie! That's better than having Ash flat-out lose, I guess.
-The end-of-episode music's kicking in, Ash is recapping stuff about the Champion, the narrator's recapping the episode in general, and...wait, what about Dento?
-After the narrator's "TO BE CONTINUED!"...Ash and Iris' stomachs growl. And Iris suddenly goes OH SHIT WE FORGOT ABOUT DENTO. The two of them run start running back! And at the lonely campground, it's (seriously dento just use engrish in your IT'S STUFF TIME phrases. I'm tired of going "what did he just say?") time. Dento looks rather defeated!

As entertaining as the lunchtime antics were, they really did take up too much of the episode. All of the matches between Trip & Ash's Pokemon were way too short. :/ At least Trip is starting to show some depth beyond "ASH IS A HICK! I AM GOOD AT POKEMON BATTLES! I LIKE TO TAKE PICTURES!"?

G50

No longer posting
This episode was good. It was cool to see Dokkora, Gamagaru, Vanipeti and Baffuron (even though it was in a flashback) for the 1st time. Dokkora and Vanipeti look so much better in the Anime than the games, I'm really surprised. Dokkora has really become my favorite Fighting Pokemon evolution family. Gamagaru has become my favorite non-starter Water/Ground evolution family. It was cool to see Alder for the 1st time, even though it was only a flashback. Shooti was very cute as a little kid. Dent's reaction to the leaf falling into the stew he was cooking, and then knocking it over was very funny. It was interesting to see Ash joining in with Iris and doing vine swinging. As expected Ash falls down while swinging a vine, ends up running into a Gamagaru, preventing Shooti from completing the capture, making him very upset. The 3 on 3 battle was cool to see. Tsutarja vs Janovy was a very short battle, but this time Janovy wins, and it was shown that Janovy can now knock down her Attract attack. Tsutarja was finished in 1 hit, a Cut attack. Dokkora vs Mijumaru was a great battle, unfortunately Mijumaru's Aqua Jet attack still isn't working correctly, but Shooti figures out what is wrong, takes pictures and explains/shows Ash. It shows Shooti isn't really that bad of a person. Mijumaru's problem is that he has his eyes closed and is facing the wrong way, making it very difficult to aim the Aqua Jet attack correctly. Vanipeti vs Pokabu was a cool battle, it was very close and both Pokemon were neck and neck succeeding in hits, unfortunately the battle ended in a tie. It was funny when Ash and Iris realized they had forgotten all about Dent, and then the screen cuts back to him to end the episode.

70/100

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

Finished watching it. Cilan's scene were even more awesome with sound. Seriously, he needs a spin off or something, he's just so awesome in every way.

I do wish the battles would be a little longer but I'm fine with it since everything else in the episode was enjoyable for me.

Timburr's voice was funny and interesting. I guess that's the same voice actor for Giovanni and Krokorok. Sounded awesome. Needless to say...Timburr is on steroids, voice proves it.

Palpitoad and Vanillite's voices were nice as well. I don't think Bouffalant's voice was heard, or I just forgot what it sounded like already.

Little Trip sounded nice. Alder also sounded nice.

I enjoyed this episode a lot.

Last edited:

Salamandre

am i the only one who thought the scene between oshawotts razorshell and timburs low kick to be seriously awesome. After timbur showed it could put out some muscle it just got sniped by oshawott. All I thought of was the good,bad, ugly finale.

*i'm waiting to for someone to photoshot oshawott with a cowboy hat so i can sig it

XXD17

Draco rex
I loved this episode...it had a lot of new pokes, Alder in a flashback, Trip backstory, and Ash didn't lose!!...also, Iris, I feel your pain, I hate ice types too that's why I always carry a fire type to burn them and protect my dragons...anyways, a few small complaints...Snivy lost to one cut...that's a bit disappointing considering that it was cut...timburr's voice was really weird but oshawott was awesome...and how did vanillite live a flame charge and a direct ember...Tepig shouldn't have fainted but I guess it kind of did to make sure the battle was a tie...anyways, wonderful episode overall...also, the Cilan side antics was hilarious as well...

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I suppose now Alder will appear in a Trip based episode. No surprise there. Iris's fear of Ice types is kind of interesting, not funny but interesting, especially for future events. Rival battle was short but since it wasn't a total defeat I guess its better then nothing.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Wow this is going to be a clean sweep I think, he is bashing Satoshi for not leveling up his pokemons enough and if he doesn't he can't become a champion.

Tsutarja just lose easy, got smashed with one attack.

I hope the level up thing leads to something and Satoshi evolves his pokemons...

OH and there you go whiners, Shooti past revealed, he is a fan of Alder and always wanted to be the champion, he probably trained since he was a kid and that is why he is so good, I'm happy that i was right and the people that were purposely ignoring this **** which was so obvious got owned, " OH MAKES NO SENSE HE IS SO STRONG", shut it.

Sorry, but was anyone actually not expecting there to be any kind of backstory at all for Trip? It wasn't surprising to me at least, especially when you consider the episode number this is: Paul got his development in DP040.

Anyways, I can't watch this yet, I'll watch it tomorrow morning most likely and post my thoughts then, but it looks good so far. And I'm glad Oshawott won and it was a tie at least. Though I wish Tepig had won too giving the win to Ash, but I guess it's leading to some development for it in the future with it's depression after losing (or tying in this case).

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I liked Cilan before it was cool to like him. Anyway, I didn't think that this episode was anything special, really. We got tons of debuts, but apart from that, I wasn't excited. The first thing that I disliked about Ash's battle with Trip was that they used Snivy and Servine once again. Of course, I predicted the end result, but it was still painful to watch. I loved that we FINALLY got some character development for Trip. That flashback to Alder and Trip as a child was exactly what we needed. But yeah. Timburr versus Oshawott was the most intense part of the episode for me. While that Timburr was sporting around its wood, I was worried that Oshawott would faint. I was pleased to see Trip use his camera to take pictures of Aqua Jet, though. That was the smartest thing ever. I'm glad that Oshawott won that battle, but the episode was boring after that. A fire pig versus an ice cream cone seemed like something out of a dream, so I couldn't take it seriously. Still, I'm glad that Ash and Trip's battle ended in a draw. 8/10.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Trip is more likable now. Well I never hated him he was meh, but now he's got a character to flesh out. I do have to give him props, he knows his "Basics" of Pokemon...a lot more then Ash does. This episode really made Trip his own character, or more of his own character.

RocketTwurpSLR

pokemonmaniacSLR
AM I the only one who noticed team rocket wasnt in the episode again.

im not very happy that they are not in every episode

they make the episode by making it funny without them its dull

but we have iris and dento i know that, and they are funny
i just miss them blasting off aswell

overall i liked the episode we acctualy saw trip as a charecter witch was nice

i lovd the part where iris hated ice types dont know what she gonna do when she getss into iccurus city XD i can imagine it now

OMG iris and jessies "snow snow i love it so" thats genius

i say im quite torn between both flavescent and wishful now

i wondr why flavescent hasnt got a thread

Last edited:

pkGamerB

I'll shred ya.
This was a pretty cool episode. Cilan's antics were funny as usual, and we finally got a little backstory for Trip, as well as Alder's first anime appearance. Ash and Trip's battle was entertaing even though it was short. It was a bit disappointing to see Snivy fall to just one Cut. Am I the only one who thinks his Cut is overpowered? It beat both Pikachu and Snivy. Oh well, it's her first "bad" loss, so I'll live with it. Looks like Ash may have to figure out a different strategy than Attract soon, it's failed the last few times they tried it (vs Frillish, vs Minccino, and vs Servine). Oshawott vs Timburr was easily my favorite part of the episode. Thanks to Trip, Ash learns why Oshawott has trouble with Aqua Jet, so hopefully he'll master it soon. Back to the battle, I never really liked the Conkeldurr family's design, but the anime made it look really cool. The way it battled both with and without its plank looked pretty awesome (especially that Low Kick). But it doesn't matter, because Oshawott wins! It was so badass when he put his shell back on his chest, knowing he won the battle. Tepig vs Vanillite (lol @ Iris' hair when she sees it) was okay, I guess, but it would've been nice to see it win rather than tie, considering it had the type advantage. I won't complain though, since Ash drawing with Trip is much better than him getting swept.

playerking said:
About the Gliscor thing, that was when I knew that Gliscor was actually cute, despite it's appearance.
Same here, I always thought Gliscor was an intimidating Pokemon, but I actually consider it to be one of the cutest Pokemon now after seeing that episode. I'm hoping they'll pull off the same thing with Oshawott if it evolves into Samurott, as far as keeping its personality intact despite its appearance. I think it'd be even funnier that way.

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
Sorry, but was anyone actually not expecting there to be any kind of backstory at all for Trip? It wasn't surprising to me at least, especially when you consider the episode number this is: Paul got his development in DP040.

I seriously expected him to be a relative of someone famous though.....like Caitlin (correct spelling?)

Its nice that he wanted to become great through respecting Alder, but it would have been all the more fun if he had inherited family given skills.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
AM I the only one who noticed team rocket wasnt in the episode again.

im not very happy that they are not in every episode

they make the episode by making it funny without them its dull

but we have iris and dento i know that, and they are funny
i just miss them blasting off aswell

overall i liked the episode we acctualy saw trip as a charecter witch was nice

i lovd the part where iris hated ice types dont know what she gonna do when she getss into iccurus city XD i can imagine it now

OMG iris and jessies "snow snow i love it so" thats genius

i say im quite torn between both flavescent and wishful now

i wondr why flavescent hasnt got a thread

How about no?

I was glad they weren't in this one and aren't in the next it seems.

I'm fine with them appearing once in a while, not in every episode again.

pokefandt

I'm just happy Ash didn't flat out lose. Snivy getting beat and Tepig tieing weren't unexpected, but Oshawott made the difference, here's hoping to it mastering Aqua Jet.

It was nice to see some development with Shooti, him showing what happened with Aqua Jet showed him to be a little less of a jerk.

Dax

Legend
Cilan being forgotten was golden! It really made me laugh.

I enjoyed Trip's personality and how he has separated himself from being Paul's clone. His story and motivation to succeed was great.

Sadly, the most important part of this episode was the battle and it was horrible.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
I'm surprised that Iris' scared of Ice-type pokemon. Another similairity to Misty who fears the Bug-Type pokemon. I feel sorry for Cilan. Ash has once again have encounter his rival Trip. Ash apologize for making Trip miss his chance to catch Palitoad. I can't believe this guy wants to challenge Iris into a battle which she doesn't want to due that she have a dragon-type. So Ash decided to take him on. As for the third battle, Servine took out Snivy, but Oshawott wipe out Timburr. I am kind of surprised that Trip took a picture of Oshawott messed up the Aqua Jet and explain to Ash about what went wrong with this move. Well that's something new. As for the battle continues, Vanillte and Tepig both got knocked out which results a tie. I'm glad that Ash got even with his cocky new rival of his. But this is far from over.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Remember that thread about Trip being boring and not having a backstory? Yeah.

Not a bad episode. The battle wasn't as good as the 5 vs 5 battle, but it was okay. Snivy should have won though.

I'm glad Trip got some backstory. Now we know his goal, no matter how simple.

uber gon

Accept Change
So all Oshawatt has to do to master Aqua Jet is to open its eyes? That's anticlimactic.

Well, at least it was not ANOTHER outright loss.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I liked this episode.

Cilan is still as awesome as ever. My favorite of Ash's friends!

Iris' fear of Ice Types is understandable. Now this just adds more to her development when she faces off against Langley and her Beartic.

I'm starting to like Trip a bit more. I get the feeling that Alder and Trip will have the same "connection" that Ash has with Cynthia.

Snivy better evolve into Servine.... I hope that Trip's teasing of her not evolving isn't gonna be a factor of her not evolving.... Also Iwas expecting Safeguard but I guess Leaf Tornado works too.

Oshawott's weakness is revealed, and he finally got another win! Finally! Samurott here we come!

Tepig tying against Vanillite is okay.

No. 1 Machop Fan

Timburr seemed to have a little bit of personality judging from the pics. That's normally not something you see much of from a rival's Pokemon.