• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash and Trip's Third Battle (693)

wind21

This isn't much of a post, but I have to say I'm disappointed about the mention of the champion. My last hope from the "old days" was that Cynthia would remain the champion of focus. That might still happen, but for today, it doesn't look good; if that last connection goes, then what was really the pt of anything in the Sinnoh region? All that build-up of the elite 4, all possibly for nothing. It's hard to believe (okay, maybe not that hard considering how these things go) that Ash can be so much further away from being a champion today than he was a year ago.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
This episode was pretty decent. I'm glad the battle ended in a tie rather than a complete slaugther but I think tepig should of roasted vanillite, not only because of typing but also from battle experience. Oh well! Guess I shouldn't be surprised, this is the anime after all.

ESPNfanatic35

Catcher of Ubers
But wait, Dragon moves are also super effective against Dragon types so shouldn't that mean Iris is afraid of Dragon types as well as ice types? :)

If she's afraid of a little Vanillite does that mean Iris would despise ice cream? Cilan should whip a sundae up for her and see how she reacts.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
But wait, Dragon moves are also super effective against Dragon types so shouldn't that mean Iris is afraid of Dragon types as well as ice types? :)

If she's afraid of a little Vanillite does that mean Iris would despise ice cream? Cilan should whip a sundae up for her and see how she reacts.

Its an obvious Misty parallel. The writers are trying to turn Iris into Misty 2.0, if that hasn't been obvious already.

ESPNfanatic35

Catcher of Ubers
Its an obvious Misty parallel. The writers are trying to turn Iris into Misty 2.0, if that hasn't been obvious already.

It is pretty obvious, I agree. Being a gym leader, being afraid of a certain type, being more tomboyish, and treating Ash as more immature. Doesn't mean I don't like her character but yeah, Misty 2.0 is a good way of putting it. I think her backstory in the anime will be pretty original though hopefully. She's expected by the people of her hometown to evolve Axew while Misty really just wanted to be away from her obno sisters and because she wanted Ash to "pay her back for her bike" (which we all know she didn't even really care about later on.)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Its also possible Iris and Cilan are an attempt to do things right a second time around, since neither Misty/Brock ever got much focus or development.

Swagga09

from the looks of it it seems like oshawott is going to be the screen hog of this season :-/

ESPNfanatic35

Catcher of Ubers
from the looks of it it seems like oshawott is going to be the screen hog of this season :-/

Ugh. As if Piplup wasn't bad enough. I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't always use the same few jokes over and over with Oshawott like how he's always popping out of the ball on his own and pushing Pikachu out of the way. We've seen that before with Psyduck popping out of the ball and Chikorita being jealous of Pikachu.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Was anyone else on the edge of their seat when Tepig & Vanillite were fighting? Or am I just a total nerd? That was a nice way to end their latest meeting :3 A tie, Trip being generally cool, and some backstory.

Chimchar15

Well I hope we get to see more talk of the champion league. Trip wants to win the Champion league so it's nice that he's set high goals for himself.

AwesomeSauce117

Nostalgia Addict
I just hope Oshawott overcomes his eye closing problem quickly so we can have some Swadloon/Tranquill/Scraggy screen-time.

Zuzu14

buttd
I enjoyed this episode a lot actually. I loved how Cilan reacted after Ash and Iris made him knock over his food, and the little bicker that followed between Ash and Iris. But I was a little disappointed that once again, Iris had to con Trip into having a battle with Ash.

Sure, the first time was acceptable, but at least because of the tie, Trip will most likely initiate the next battle. I also found the battle lackluster, and way to quick for my liking. Snivy barely did a thing, before being beaten with Cut. Then Oshawott, though securing a win, Timburr barely did anything anyway, and wasn't expecting the battle to end so quickly. I liked Tepig's the most, but the poor little guy was disappointed for still not being a pokemon with a type advantage probably.

Could this lead to an episode were Tepig loses to a Deerling and runs away in fear of Ash releasing him?

7/10

Sabonea_Masukippa

Trip actually tells her as much. She is not impressed.

I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't always use the same few jokes over and over with Oshawott like how he's always popping out of the ball on his own and pushing Pikachu out of the way.

Hey, how about in this Ep where Ash was the one who let Oshawott out and then he tried to push Pikachu in to battle instead because Timburr looked tough?

Also, to the person/people who think Snivy should have won, two things:

1. Trip told Ash he'd trained his Servine to a high level.
2. Trip also says that because Ash had already used Snivy against Servine he knew what strategy he'd go with etc, so he was prepared for it. It was Ash's own arrogance for not realising that Trip might have learnt from a previous loss.

noob21

3 sum!!!
Trip actually tells her as much. She is not impressed.

Hey, how about in this Ep where Ash was the one who let Oshawott out and then he tried to push Pikachu in to battle instead because Timburr looked tough?

Also, to the person/people who think Snivy should have won, two things:

1. Trip told Ash he'd trained his Servine to a high level.
2. Trip also says that because Ash had already used Snivy against Servine he knew what strategy he'd go with etc, so he was prepared for it. It was Ash's own arrogance for not realising that Trip might have learnt from a previous loss.

It could of been his arrogance then again it might not have because you have to rember that ash has been to 4 other region's this makes 5 he should have enough battling since to know how to take down an opponent. You know after 5 gen's of pokemon ash still acts very noobish especaily in this series. He acts as if he just started kanto.

Lets be honest about this whole thing
1:Ash acts like a noob like never before with the exception of kanto but he just started his journey so he wins by defalt for that one
2:Trip will never be the rival that paul was. Paul was concentraited and knew what he wanted, he also was a very strong opponent and brung out the best in ash. It seems like Trip just doesnt know what he wants and he seems to be just now starting his journey. If eneything Ash should be his rival not the other way around a rival is someone who's stronger then you and you possibley feel threatened by and strive to be better then. Trip is not a threat and even though in this series ash is acting noobish Trip still cant battle better then ash given the fact ash has more experiance (5 regions) and trip is never and will never be a rival

Last edited by a moderator:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Chimchar was very popular, much above the level of either Piplup or currently Oshawott.

I wouldn't say that. Chimchar doesn't have it's own ending theme. Chimchar also got hate in DP, not as much as Piplup, but it had its fair share of people calling it a glory hog.

Sabonea_Masukippa

You seem to have ignored/misinterpreted what I actually said but let's just go with it.

It could have been his arrogance then again it might not have

Using Snivy (who has been trained little) against Servine who Trip had just said he'd done lots of training on was arrogant.

because you have to remember that ash has been to 4 other regions; this makes 5

Which is something that could make someone arrogant, yes?

he should have enough battling since to know how to take down an opponent.

He should have, you're right. But he under-estimated Trip and his training and it cost him. Serves him right.

You know after 5 gen's of pokemon ash still acts very noobish especially in this series. He acts as if he just started Kanto.

So? He's a foreigner in Unova, he is excited to be in a new place, with a new league, new rules and new Pokemon. Sometimes that excitement causes you to make silly mistakes, I know it does to me when I'm overseas.

Lets be honest about this whole thing

Were we being dishonest up to now?
1:Ash acts like a noob like never before with the exception of kanto but he just started his journey so he wins by default for that one

He did just start his journey on a new continent. Also, we have no idea how 'long' it was between the end of DP and the start of BW - it could, conceivably, have been ' anime months' where Ash and Pikachu did very little battling or training, which means he may have forgotten some things.
2:Trip will never be the rival that paul was.

Who cares about Paul? Furthermore, who cares about any Paul comparison with Trip? This is BW, not DP.

Paul was concentrated and knew what he wanted, he also was a very strong opponent and brought out the best in Ash.

That's nice - that took a whole four years to develop and bring to a head. So far, BW's been going for nine months and Trip's only appeared four times.

It seems like Trip just doesnt know what he wants

He wants to battle and defeat Adler so he can become champion, his dream since childhood. Apparently, you didn't watch the latest episode.

and he seems to be just now starting his journey.

More than seems, he did start his journey at the beginning of the series, although he now has four badges at at least six Pokemon, two of which are evolved.

If anything Ash should be his rival not the other way around a rival

We only consider him to be Ash's 'rival' because our point-of-view into the relationship is Ash's and Ash wants to prove that he can beat Trip because of his bad first impression on Trip.

Further, at the end of the Episode just before Trip leaves, he basically says that if he can't beat Ash then he's still a long way from facing Adler, so maybe Ash really is Trip's rival and we've all been looking at this wrong?

is someone who's stronger than you and you possibly feel threatened by and strive to be better than.

Arbitrary definition is arbitrary.

Trip is not a threat

Who said he was? What's more, who said he had to be?

I think it's more that Ash cocked up his first battle because of Zekrom hurting Pikachu and Ash wants to prove to Trip that he is a legitimate battler. He was so desperate to prove it that he went in against Trip's team in the Battle Club with his team of mostly untrained, freshly caught Pokemon and rightly got his behind handed to him.

and even though in this series Ash is acting noobish Trip still cant battle better then ash given the fact ash has more experience (5 regions) and trip is never and will never be a rival

Trip's ability to beat Ash once in a fair fight and result in a draw in the second would make me believe Trip's doing a fair job of battling with Ash.

Further, and please take this the right way, Ash's experience means nothing here. Beyond Pikachu and Oshawott a little bit, none of his Pokemon have been trained yet. That was Trip's point when he showed him the photos of Oshawott's eyes closed during Aqua Jet - it was to mock him for a) not realizing and b) for not training Oshawott properly.

Ash, like any person in the real world, is only as good as their last effort and so far in BW, he's not put in enough effort with his new Pokemon to justify winning over Trip, who is (albeit off-screen).

Last edited:

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Good episode.

Surpised they tied. Kinda hoped Ash would win, thinking Trip would win.

And I love how instead of TR, they had Cilan bits. Those were way better, and funnier.