• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash and Trip's Third Battle (693)

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I liked the dub version. Well of course not the title.

I loled when the dubbers used Razor Shell again after using Shell Blade for the Stephan episode.

Venomfang

Perky Goth

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I wish someone caught that Papiltoed

Venomfang

Perky Goth

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Bulbapedia says Scottie Ray - who voiced characters like Orange Islands Drake, J's client and Cullen Calix - voiced Alder. I was fooled, thought it was Dan Green like we all predicted.

Was all the "I hope Alder waits for me" stuff in the original raw of this episode? Because I got definite foreshadowing to "N beats the Champion first" from it all...

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Trip's voice is too deep. Paul's voice was too deep. Are they're really old men playing Ash's rivals all the time or what?

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
In today’s poorly named episode (“Ash and Trip’s Third Battle”! Really?), Ash battles his rival Trip, Iris acts like a hypocrite again, and Cilan is ignored. Even though I don’t care for Trip, it is nice that someone in BW realizes how annoying Ash and Iris are and tries to put them in their place. Ash, the kid who doesn’t know the basics and is always getting in his way, asks for a battle; I can understand why Trip is so annoyed. I’d be too if a failure kept on bugging me with his loud voice. Likewise, Trip points out Iris hypocrisy in not liking Ice types because they are Super Effective against Dragons when she loves Dragons, who are also Super Effective against Dragons. And we have to appreciate that while Iris didn’t want to battle Trip, she still guilts Trip into battling Ash, someone he doesn’t want to battle. Trip might not be the most interesting guy in the world, but it is refreshing to see that not everyone can put up with Ash’s antics.

Trip’s desire to enter the Unova League is so that he can battle his childhood hero Alder. To that end he trains really hard with his Pokémon. Ash, meanwhile, barely trains his Pokémon and expects them to do great. Trip might be harsh, but his critisism is valid. He hasn’t worked with Snivy at all and Ash didn’t bother to fix Oshawott’s Aqua Jet until Trip tells him what is wrong. Ash trained Tepig once, and he still loses a lot. Considering how much focus Oshawott gets, it makes since that he is the only one that beats Trip.

As for voices, I enjoyed Vanilite’s and Alder’s, Palpitoad’s voice sounds weird, and Timbur’s deep voice should have been saved for its evolutions. I really think Jason Griffith should put more emotion in when voicing Cilan, as his performance in this episode was a bit disappointing. Young Trip was cute but the voice seems off to me.

An okay episode basically. Battles were fine, but Oshawott and Timbur’s battle should have been a few attacks longer. More mentions of the Champion League makes me hope Trip enters it (not Ash, IMO he's too much of a noob to win any league).

Perhaps I expect too much from this show...

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was pretty good. Nice to see all the new pokemon. I enjoy these kinds of episodes that involve battling like this.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I thought thought Cilan was going to rage quit when they messed his lunch up

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Trip sounded especially bitter of Ash in this episode. I kind of liked it. He seems different from Paul. Paul was more quiet, while Trip is open in insulting Ash. And it looks like he has development for the Unova League.

Can't wait for the next episode. It won't be as much of a shock as the japanese episode though.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I like the fact that Trip is mean but is still helpful. Much different than Gary and Paul.

I also like that Ash tied against his rival. I hope for a short time that Ash surpasses Trip and then Trip surpasses Ash. So at the league it feels more tense on whose winning.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Trip sounded especially bitter of Ash in this episode. I kind of liked it. He seems different from Paul. Paul was more quiet, while Trip is open in insulting Ash. And it looks like he has development for the Unova League.

Can't wait for the next episode. It won't be as much of a shock as the japanese episode though.

No, Trip is more quiet than Paul for sure.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
still he is abit rude, I agree with Iris that his comment towards Oshawott wasn't necessary.

I'm beginning to think this "Champion's league" is a dub only concept.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Remind me again what happens in this episode?

The title is so confusing...

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Anyone notice the Pikachu fade out at the end? XD

Vipsoccermaster

Fine episode, even if the battle ended up in a draw. Sad to see Snivy lost, though. Trip can be annoying, but at least he's helpful sometimes.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Nope. Even Cynthia references it in B/W.

she said something about it in the original version?

still the way Trip made it sound, you need to beat a regional champion to get into it...which means we ain't likely to see Ash in such a thing.

Fine episode, even if the battle ended up in a draw. Sad to see Snivy lost, though. Trip can be annoying, but at least he's helpful sometimes.

I really wish snivy would've shown more emotion losing here specifically, i mean she easily dispatched Servine last time, yet here she gets knocked out effortlessly and doesn't show any emotions whatsoever towards her defeat.

Oshawott showed happiness that it won and Tepig showed it's depression when it tied with the ice cream cone, I mean come on writers would it have killed you to have snivy show some degree of emotion, especially since Trip was downtalking her as well--;