• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Catches a Pokémon! (003)

G50

No longer posting
All capture and evolution episodes in every season are my favorites, along with Gym Leader battles. This was my favorite pokemon capture episode! 1 thing I wasn't happy about, was it was stereotyping girls as hating/fearful of bugs. Overall great episode. 80/100.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I loved Ash's reaction after he caught Caterpie. He was outrageously happy. ^_^
And Caterpie was so cute in this episode, it was probably the first time I ever considered a bug cute. =)

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was its totally unoriginal dub name. :p

GalladeX

rofl James's voice is so menacing compared to what it is now.

Man, when Misty was yelling at Ash about how he wasn't using strategy...
You could tell he was on the verge of tears, just by the tension in his voice. :S

She chilled out after a while, but Misty was really mean back then.

Also I miss Caterpie. :<
Ash carrying a totally apathetic Metapod in his backpack at the end amused me.

Last edited:

hever

022611229PM
Misty being freaked out by the Caterpie makes me feel bad for the Pokemon. :( Look at its cute face? Even though I don't like caterpillars, I still feel bad for it.

8/10

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
I love Ash's animation when he's having a rant at Misty and says 'mouth'. It's a brief shot but it's hilarious. Still cracks me up after 12 years!!!

I'm rewatching pokemon from the beginning. God, Veronica Taylor sounded horrible as Ash back then. And I forgot that Eric Stuart isn't James for a while. He's too menacing and doesn't sound camp at all!!! *cries*

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
I still would like to know what ;010; and ;025; were talking about that night.
And I thought Caterpie was cute. Misty's such a scaredy-Meowth.

In all, excellent episode.

TheEpicGoomba

Great episode, it was very eventful. Two captures and an evolution. I feel so sorry for Caterpie,it is so cute. Glad it became one step closer to it's dream.

10/10

Caterpie should have used String Shot on Misty and then left her there.

-_-

Bianca~

Almost Never Online.
This was such a great episode. Ash catches Caterpie and Pidgeotto, and we even get to see the show's first evolution. Team Rocket's presence automatically makes it an even better episode, of course. ^_^

Meowth City

Staff member
Caterpie (Butterfree) is the only bug Pokemon I love, which is largely down to this episode. The fact that it was Ash's first catch makes this episode so incredible that no other capture can compete IMO.

Vernikova

Champion
I didn't remember Caterpie being so cute in this episode but I couldn't stop thinking how cute it was. Misty being mean to me actually has me hating her a little right now but it'll pass. Anyway, I liked this episode mainly because of Caterpie's capture and it's battle with Pidgeotto. Seeing Misty lecture Ash about Pokémon battling was pretty funny.

I didn't remember Caterpie being so cute in this episode but I couldn't stop thinking how cute it was. Misty being mean to me actually has me hating her a little right now but it'll pass. Anyway, I liked this episode mainly because of Caterpie's capture and it's battle with Pidgeotto. Seeing Misty lecture Ash about Pokémon battling was pretty funny.

o_O Cartoon characters can be mean to living humans?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Its funny how ash reacted when he caught caterpie aka butterfree rubbing it my misty's face like that.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
I like how cute this episode is with Caterpie being all sad and Pikachu comforting him. Misty sure was mean to it. We also see how much of a bad master Ash is by sending in Caterpie on Pidgeotto when he has a Pikachu. But he still manages to catch it. o: 2 Pokemon in one episode! And yay Team Rocket again. =D
I don't understand why Misty didn't use her Pokemon to help Ash out. She never catches Starmie or Staryu if I remember correctly so that means she always had them. And I'm sure Starmie could have easily taken care of Ekans and Koffing.
This episode also teaches us an important lesson. The move String Shot is broken. o:

This episode title is so misleading. It should be: Ash Catches Two Pokemon And Then One Evolves.

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dub cut out the best scene in the episode.

If anyone remembers this scene:
200px-Misty_Slap2.png

I watched the sub online some time ago...and loved that scene.

But other than that, I liked the rest of the episode. Ash gets his Pidgeotto.

Dub gets a 7/10 for the cut scene.

Sub gets an 8/10.