• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Catches a Pokémon! (003)

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I never realised she slapped him in the Japanese version. That was fun to watch. lol
Misty is a bit extreme with how she treats Caterpie in this episode, it is so small and cute after all. And I agree it was fun to watch Pikachu and Caterpie being good buddies. The way Ash catches the Caterpie was boring...

WhyHelloThere

The episode was ok. I like Pidgeotto, but that's about it... The rest is Misty yelling at Ash and Caterpie, and then Team Rocket come along. 6/10

Vipsoccermaster

I remember this. Good to see Ash catch is first Pokemon. I also liked the part where Team Rocket is walking in a cardboard van, I laughed at them for being mad at Meowth.

WhyHelloThere

Ha, String Shot is one of the worst moves ever, yet it was the move that saved the day. Go figure. How can Ekans and Koffing even breathe like that?

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
Here, we return to Ash after he successfully catches Caterpie, and subsequently Misty reveals her fear of Bug-Types. Ash tries to use it to catch a Pidegotto, but it's too weak and Pikachu ends up finishing the job. Team Rocket shows up and cripples Pikachu, forcing Ash to use his new Pidgetto which, while strong, ends up losing because the fight was 2-on-1. Caterpie saves the day with a great combination of String Shot and Tackle, and at the end of the episode evolves into Metapod.

8.7/10

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Bugs bug me was the funny part

Caterpie and Pikachu talking was so cute!

It was nice to see Ash catch Pidgeotto, but it was shown as weak, being defeated easily by Pikachu (which makes sense, Pikachu has a type advantage) and Team Rocket (but it might've been tired from battling Pikachu). And Pidgeotto was seen to be an omnivore, trying to eat Caterpie. When I saw that for the first time, I was shocked. I'm not a vegetarian, but eating Pokemon was just going too far from me! However, I love this episode, 10/10!

Misty was really mean to Caterpie. She loves her Water types, so she should understand the love from a Trainer for his Pokemon, even if it is a Bug type!

The way Caterpie evolved was cool. No glowing light, but using String Shot to create a cocoon/Metapod around itself. Just like Metapod evolving into Butterfree: the Metapod/cocoon broke and Butterfree popped out of it, instead of Metapod just changing into Butterfree with white light.

gliscor&yanmega

Enjoyed this episode.

Ash's first capture, and first evolution.

Caterpie and Pidgeotto are added to Ash's team. Kind of wish they added a scene with Caterpie and Pidgeotto interacting after being caught.

I love how it felt like the scene with Caterpie and Pikachu talking was going on forever. No idea what they said but seemed obvious Caterpie wanted to fly and become Butterfree.

Love the way Caterpie evolved.

It was a funny, somewhat emotional, and action pack episode.

RWB

Dragon busted by Her
I actually think Ash comes of as more of a jerk than Misty in this episode. And Caterpie isn't really as cute as it's creepy in this episode.

Misty: I do not like bugs because I have a phobia.

Caterpie: *humps her leg*

Ash: Y u no like my bug. Everyone else does, follow peer pressure.*Tries to force her to*

Caterpie: *sneaks into Misty's sleeping bag like a creepy stalker*

Misty: Agh!

Ash: Y u hurting its feelings by having a completely logical freakout.

Heck, even the slap was well-deserved, considering Ash sent a pokemon to fight it's natural predator, essentially setting it up as dinner.

Ash handwaving her bicycle- something rather expensive for a preteen(not to mention it's price in the games, holy heck) off certainly didn't help him come off as a nice guy.

Last edited:

Blessed

"You be friends with that creepy bug & I'LL be friends with pikachu" LOL.

As soon as Caterpie evolved and Ash was happily greeting Metapod, and Misty said "I guess he really does like Pokemon. I've never met anyone like him" was adorable ♥

It was actually earlier in the episode, when he gave the sludge-blinded Pikachu to Misty to protect while he battled Team Rocket. I mean he trusted her to protect Pikachu, with no question or hesitation, after only knowing her for two days. ♥

(And darned if I don't think it was a direct contribution to Misty's softening toward him.)

Last edited:
"You be friends with that creepy bug & I'LL be friends with pikachu" LOL.

As soon as Caterpie evolved and Ash was happily greeting Metapod, and Misty said "I guess he really does like Pokemon. I've never met anyone like him" was adorable ♥

It was actually earlier in the episode, when he gave the sludge-blinded Pikachu to Misty to protect while he battled Team Rocket. I mean he trusted her to protect Pikachu, with no question or hesitation, after only knowing her for two days. ♥

(And darned if I don't think it was a direct contribution to Misty's softening toward him.)

True, it's a nice episode to back up PokeShipping! Also, you are totally right about that bike in your other post in this thread, I already thought so about the bike 10 years ago.

Ash finally gets his brain together and tries to ditch Misty, but fails. Caterpie was annoying, but Metapod was pretty cool. Still, this episode was boring.

7threst

Definitely a momentous episode. I was amused by the plot of this episode and the achievement of capturing two Pokémons in one episode makes this episode the more special.

WhyHelloThere

So Ash catches his first pokemon. Too bad he doesn't get to keep either of them.

One of the only episodes of Kanto that I didn't like all that much. It seemed to drag on forever. The fight wasn't all that amusing. I probably would have felt better about this episode if Ash got to keep at least one of the pokemon he captured here. I don't care which. Getting rid of both left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand Pidgeot was released to make room for Snorlax, but it really seems like Butterfree was released for the hell of it. :|