• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Catches a Pokémon! (003)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I just want to say that the interaction between Caterpie and Pikachu in the middle of the episode is one of my favourite moments in the anime ever. <3

I've always wondered why that scene was shown since the only purpose that it served was showing us that Satoshi's Caterpie wished to evolve, although then again, pretty much every Pokemon wants that by default.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I've always wondered why that scene was shown since the only purpose that it served was showing us that Satoshi's Caterpie wished to evolve, although then again, pretty much every Pokemon wants that by default.

I've wondered for awhile if it wasn't test animation which was worked into the story to save money. It seems odd for Pikachu to wave goodbye to the audience in the middle of an episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
pacman000 said:
I've wondered for awhile if it wasn't test animation which was worked into the story to save money. It seems odd for Pikachu to wave goodbye to the audience in the middle of an episode.

It could've been since it seemed so out of place.

On a related note, I still chuckle when I think back to how Kasumi slapped Satoshi here just because he sent Caterpie to fight a Flying-type.

The Viridian Forest having wild Pidgeotto still gets to me since it didn't comply with R/B, but this was our first sign of how the cartoon series would end up ignoring game mechanics. Caterpie was so sweet and Misty was just horrible to him. When Caterpie began evolving, I was worried since I didn't know what was happening at first because I was only five when I saw that.

PineapplePizza

The Viridian Forest having wild Pidgeotto still gets to me since it didn't comply with R/B, but this was our first sign of how the cartoon series would end up ignoring game mechanics. Caterpie was so sweet and Misty was just horrible to him. When Caterpie began evolving, I was worried since I didn't know what was happening at first because I was only five when I saw that.

To be fair, the route from Pallet Town to Virdian City didn't have Spearow.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
The Viridian Forest having wild Pidgeotto still gets to me since it didn't comply with R/B, but this was our first sign of how the cartoon series would end up ignoring game mechanics.

It was a rather small instance of the writers using creative license in the anime, but it was somewhat reasonable. Also, Game Freak eventually copied the writers by adding wild Pigeon in Yellow version's counterpart of the forest.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
This is still one of my all time favorite episodes!

+ Pikachu and Caterpie’s conversation at night was a cute scene
+ Ash’s excitement over his first victory with team rocket and his captures of Caterpie and Pidgeotto are fun to watch. It’s great to see how far Ash has come
+ The scene with Misty trying to pet Carerpie was hilarious
+This was the first episode where they really previewed the banter between Ash and Misty that would be common in the series. I always thought it was hilarious when these two went at it
+ Misty acknowledgement of how Ash genuinely cares for Pokémon was nice

Leonhart

Imagineer
PorcelainVulpix said:
+ Ash’s excitement over his first victory with team rocket and his captures of Caterpie and Pidgeotto are fun to watch. It’s great to see how far Ash has come

It was pretty great to see Satoshi win his first battle since I don't count his win against those wild Onisuzume in the first episode given that it was Pikachu who zapped them without being told to, and even the skirmish against the Rocket-dan in the second episode didn't feel like an actual battle. But the fight here seemed more important since Satoshi won without some convoluted plot device helping him out.

I liked how the cliffhanger from the previous episode was settled fast when Ash successfully captured the Caterpie he had set his eyes on. My favourite scene was when Misty got spooked by Caterpie and called bugs gross since she was right although she didn't have to be so rude about it. Ash sending Caterpie against Pidgeotto shouldn't have been so effective but it worked. In one of the more adorable moments in this episode, we saw Pikachu patting Caterpie on the back which was really sweet of him. 8/10

Last edited:

Zamin

I forgot that Ash caught Pidgeotto so early on. The episode is called 'Ash catches a Pokemon!' but he actually caught two.

These early episodes are so good and remind me of why I love Pokemon so much.

It was a great episode and like others have said I love the scene between Caterpie and Pikachu.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
On the plus side, at least Ash didn’t throw another rock at Pidgeotto. That would have been really bad for everyone given how strong it was in battle. But Misty did come off as being extremely mean to poor Caterpie and while I understand she’s afraid of Bug types, she could have been more open minded about it and not scream at the top of her lungs each time it tried to become her friend. That’s all it really wanted from her. I mean May was nervous around Pokémon and yet she still let them try and be her friend. And Dawn freaked out when she saw Ursula’s Plusle and Minun but she felt bad afterwards when her rival said that she was hurting their feelings. Misty didn’t care about how Caterpie felt when she called it names and only was nice to it after Ash told her how rude she was being and guilt tripped her.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zamin said:
I forgot that Ash caught Pidgeotto so early on. The episode is called 'Ash catches a Pokemon!' but he actually caught two.

These early episodes are so good and remind me of why I love Pokemon so much.

It was a great episode and like others have said I love the scene between Caterpie and Pikachu.

I think that Satoshi getting Pigeon was overlooked because he didn't spend as much time with it here as he did with Caterpie. In fact, his capture of Pigeon seemed pointless in this episode since it seemed like he only captured it at the spur of the moment.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I liked how the cliffhanger from the previous episode was settled fast when Ash successfully captured the Caterpie he had set his eyes on. My favourite scene was when Misty got spooked by Caterpie and called bugs gross since she was right although she didn't have to be so rude about it. Ash sending Caterpie against Pidgeotto shouldn't have been so effective but it worked. In one of the more adorable moments in this episode, we saw Pikachu patting Caterpie on the back which was really sweet of him. 8/10

Misty was so out of line with her bug Pokemon hate it made me mad. She was just being rude about Caterpie and she never apologized.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
Misty was so out of line with her bug Pokemon hate it made me mad. She was just being rude about Caterpie and she never apologized.

Kasumi's phobia was meant to be a stereotypical thing since most girls in real life seem to dislike bugs as well. Also in her defense, the Tokiwa Forest here was teeming with Bug-types, so Kasumi was on edge because of that as well, not just because of Satoshi's Caterpie.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I was rewatching the subs of this episode the other day and pretty much most of it was the same except for one scene I enjoyed more in the original. It was when Ash first caught the Caterpie and was showing off to Misty. He started talking in third person and bragging on himself, it was quite funny. I wish they would have kept it in the dub.

There was another line that was changed. Ash said something along the lines of being in heaven with his Caterpie and Misty said “when you guys are in Heaven, I’m in hell.” Now I could see why that couldn’t fly in the dub but it was pretty funny none the less.

Anyway, this is still one of my top Pokémon episodes. It gives us such a good glimpse on Ash as a person.

and seeing Ash’s enthusiasm over catching Caterpie really reminded me of Go in that bug catching episode.

SerenaRulez

This episode reminded me of how Misty's bug fear made her really cruel to Caterpie. Even when it evolved and couldn't move anymore she still seemed to dislike him and I don't know why she was so scared. :(

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
This episode reminded me of how Misty's bug fear made her really cruel to Caterpie. Even when it evolved and couldn't move anymore she still seemed to dislike him and I don't know why she was so scared. :(
It always made me sad to see Misty screaming at poor Caterpie. All it really wanted was to be her friend and it couldn’t help it was a Bug Type. Ash had every right to scold Misty for her behavior because it was really rude and very hurtful to Caterpie especially when she called it “creepy” and kept yelling at it. Dawn was terrified of Ursula’s Plusle and Minun and even when their owner said how hurtful Dawn was being, she felt bad and didn’t say anything else that would upset the Pokémon. Misty just kept on hurting Caterpie’s feelings and only gave in to apologizing to it after Ash had to guilt trip her for her behavior. It wasn’t trying to cause any harm to her and I don’t think it even wanted to frighten her.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:

She just hated Bug-types in general, even ones that couldn't move around much like Transel in this episode. I thought it was amusing when she approached Caterpie to thank it for its hard work against the Rocket-dan, only for her to jump back when it started shooting silk when it was about to evolve.

Aww, Caterpie and Pikachu are such bros and I love their conversation at night.

RafaSceptile

Well, after watching a video about reviewing all the Pokémon episodes in 10 words or less, I decided to do the same myself, when the discussion about some episodes returns in its respective thread.

"2x1 in Pokémon captures? Misty was so rude too"
Episode: 7/10