• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Catches a Pokémon! (003)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Ash Catches a Pokémon! (003)

Ash Catches a Pokémon!

After catching a Caterpie with Misty in tow, Ash decides to catch another Pokémon but Team Rocket show up showing their intentions to get Ash's Pikachu. Can Ash & Misty Defend Pikachu and get the next Pokémon?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Ahh, episode 3, Ash catches a Pokémon. My very favourite episode of the entire series and still going strong. Quite underrated IMO.
Why so great you ask? Well....
  • Ash catches his very first pokémon in this episode, as well as having it evolve at the end and capturing Pidgeotto. Something a lot of you would give anything to see nowadays. By no means a filler, ne?
  • Caterpie = One of Ash's best pokémon. Seriously, Caterpie had just as much personallity as most of Ash's current line-up. It had a dream of evolving, which would not only make it stronger, but would help capture th affections of one Misty. Lots of motivation there I'd say. Also, its voice was awesome.
  • Many of the scenes in this episode were pretty amusing, most of all parts that involved Misty shaking at the sight of Caterpie as Ash tried to defend the poor bug ^.^
  • There were some pretty awesome battles in this episode. Even Caterpie vs. Pidgeotto was great, if only for the pure comic relief. Pidgeotto vs. Team Rocket was also awesome, and demonstrated how tough Pidgeotto really was, even after being hit by a thundershock beforehand.
  • Caterpie defeating Team Rocket. Against all odds it STILL managed to defeat both Ekans and Koffing and sent them flying, as well as pretty much mummifying Meowth. Gotta love that little bug's inspirational determination ^.^

And well...thats why I liked this episode. Too bad Caterpie evolved so soon though, I'd have liked to have seen it for at least one episode more ^^; Couldn't just let this sit right at the bottom of the page y'know ;)

F

Factory Head Noland

It was an okay episode, I don't really like the early episodes that much, they are too retro for my liking. I prefer Orange Islands onwards.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Misty's reaction to Caterpie was a lot like Usagi's reaction to a fuzzy Caterpillar in the first Sailor Moon movie. (Maybe that's where they got it. XD)

I still don't get why Misty decided to follow Ash. The bike isn't that much of loss to shadow Ash. Ash blew the Pokemon center sky high, you don't see Nurse Joy trailing him.

M

Magi of all

The Big Al said:
Misty's reaction to Caterpie was a lot like Usagi's reaction to a fuzzy Caterpillar in the first Sailor Moon movie. (Maybe that's where they got it. XD)

I still don't get why Misty decided to follow Ash. The bike isn't that much of loss to shadow Ash. Ash blew the Pokemon center sky high, you don't see Nurse Joy trailing him.

Nurse Joy has stuff to do. Great episode, not filler at all. Season one was the best in my opnion, after thatmost of the episodes became repitative and dumb.

M

Mistystar89

^This episode was funny with Misty, Ash, Caterpie. Ash decides to use Caterpie VS Pigeotto XD A bird VS. a bug.

"Birds eat bugs Mr. Pokemon Mater!"

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Missingno. Master said:
Am I the only one who realized that Ash actually commanded Caterpie to use Counter? And it actually tried!
Nah, I don't believe he meant 'counter' as in the actual attack 'Counter', as used by the likes of Wobbuffet.
He just told it to counter Pidgeotto's attack by meeting it head on and enduring it enough to strike back afterwards....which, kinda failed and knocked him back into a tree, but still ^^;

F

Factory Head Noland

Ash told May in "A Ruin With A View!" that you have to battle with a Pokemon before you can capture it but in this ep Ash just threw a Pokeball at Caterpie and caught it, no battling at all.

He might have said "Counter it".

Caterpie is so Kawaii!!!!!! Voice, figure, everything!!! It's a shame Misty hated the little guy so much. I too wish Ash had kept Caterpie for a few more episodes, becaause it could've had some character development. It was brave, too, taking on two Poison Pokémon like that. And when it ran at them, it was just too cute!!

Overall rating:
9.3 out of 10!!!
Another rare example of a quality Kanto episode.

SC~ out

Chris

Old Coot
Counter's use was meant as in to counter Pidgeotto's attack. To strike back. You guys can't take the words everyone says too literally. o_o

Ash told May in "A Ruin With A View!" that you have to battle with a Pokemon before you can capture it but in this ep Ash just threw a Pokeball at Caterpie and caught it, no battling at all.
And he later got lectured by Kasumi about Caterpie being weak since he tried the same method on Pidgeotto and failed. >_>

Suprised no one was weirded out by the Japanese gag with the whole cow suit.

PDL

disenchanted
gotta love an old school episode when all the characters pronounce Pokemon "Poke-a-mon" instead of the correct way "Poke-eh-mon"

sure, that sort of thing would be annoying to some people who don't like dubs, but it's nostalgic to me :)

what was the japanese verison of that gag anyway?

Chris

Old Coot
Kasumi: Mushi!
Satoshi: Ushi?

It's basically the same kinda gag we heard with Haruka later on when it comes down to a play on Japanese words. Mushi means bug, while Ushi means cow. Similar to Haruka's "Achamo, Kinoko!" when she meant to say "Hinoko." She said "mushroom" instead of Ember (which has a different meaning in Japan).

Heracross

Custom User Title
Yeah, and I was really surprised (and confused) that they kept the mushroom in the dub. More proof that the people at 4Kids are either confused or insane.

Chris

Old Coot
Yeah. After my post, I realized it took place in the NEXT episode. >_>; Close enough though. XD;

Psychic Venusaur

Pokemon Master
More Kanto gold.

It was funny when Ash was sleeping next to the stump, then Misty's all of a sudden on the other side.

I admire Caterpie. I liked his conversation with Pikachu.

I liked how Team Rocket had the advantage, and were bossing Ash around.

All's fair in love, war, and Pokemon.

Almost forgot Pidgeotto. He's awesome as well.

9/10

Puffs

...NINE-THOUSAND!!!!
Remember when Pikachu & Caterpie were talking after Ash & Misty went to sleep?
Is it just me, or did Caterpie explain that it had a train set in its pokeball?