• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash & Co. and their stupid mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyAsADunsparce

I've been watching Pokémon for a long time now and it bothers me that sometimes Ash, Dawn and a lot of other people on the show are being stupid often.

For example:
How can Ash and Dawn not figure out the Jessie is Jesselina. She used every single Rocket Pokémon at least once! Her voice is the same and the haircolor as well. How can you possibly not see that. I mean, there aren't many trainers that had a Dustox and have a Carnivine, Seviper, Mime Jr., Yanmega, Meowth en Wobbuffet. You'd think they had figured it out by now.

Type disadvantages:
It's also very annoying to see Ash sending out a Pokémon, which almost has no chance against the foe. For example Chikorita in the Violet Gym. It's freaking Grass, you shouldn't be all wise with your quotes by saying you don't care about disadvantages cause that's just stupid. And then they're being all surprised when a move doesn't work. ''Oh my god, ... doesn't have a scratch'' You just used thunderbolt against a freakin' Raichu smartypants. You wanna be a Pokémon Master? Then pay freakin' attention. And please evolve that yellow mouse and that blue penguin, trust me you'll win a lot more battles!

Pokédex:
Ash have seen a lot of pokémon already. Yet everytime he sees one, that he actually already saw, he grabs his pokédex. You'd think he remembered the info the dex gave him before...

So what do you think? Is Ash stupid?

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
1. I think Jessie's identity isn't being revealed because the writers want her to take part in the GF, maybe after the GF they will reveal her true identity.

2. I think Ash has learned from his mistakes with the pokemon advantages and disadvantages and now he tries not to do mistakes even though the type does not matter all the time.

3. I agree with this. It's probably in order to show that Ash still have a lot to learn.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Okay Ash and co. don't need to know who Jessalina is until she is found out, its part of the story.

Ash does send out pokemon that have a type advantages/disadvantage against other pokemon and then say things like "Not even a scratch" because it helps the viewer learn what types work against others.

And for gods sake how many times has this been said? The anime gets new people watching it everytime. So if its a pokemon they've already seen and they pull out the pokedex its just to let the new viewers know about the pokemon, and seriously there are what 493 pokemon? You expect Ash to know the info about every single one of them?

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
1. Maybe they know it's Jessie but just don't do anything (Later in the contests she normally doesn't do any stealing. Besides if Clark Kent can put a pair of glasses on and be noticed then Jessie can as well), no reason to blast her off if she's playing honestly

2. This isn't the games, it also depends on the Pokemon strength, some Pokemon can take their own weakness out. Talliow/Swellow can survive alot of Thundershocks, and we have seen Marowak/Charizard/Sandshrew etc go into water so they get stronger against that

3. Ash might be seeing if there's new information on it. Sure if it just a few episodes apart then it is ridiculous but after a while it's okay for him to bring the pokedex out (Besides Dawn's being the one who does that now). As previous poster said there is 493 Pokemon and he's only ten years old technically, even if he was fifteen you can expect him to remember everything thing about every single Pokemon there is. Hell even I don't remember every little information about every Pokemon, I just realized Starmie/Slowbro was psychic (Or remembered)

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
The pokedex check is for the sake of the audience, particularly those not young enough to be game-savvy. Plus the pokedex info changes from region to region, so there's always a new little factoid.

As for Jessie/Jessalina... you mention just that one Team Rocket disguise? It's part of the fun- it's usually delightfully stupid because the writers clearly know they're being as subtle as a brick. Just enjoy it.

And type disadvantages... well, some of those might just be to educate new fans. Like how are they to learn that normal types don't work against ghost types if they don't show it?

Remember, very young children watch this show.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
And please evolve that yellow mouse and that blue penguin, trust me you'll win a lot more battles!

I wonder since when you start watching the anime.

Way back in the very first season, on the Vermillion Gym episode, it is shown that Pikachu itself does not want to evolve. Ash actually has offered the Thunderstone to Pikachu but Pika refused.

And we all know Ash won't force an evolution on his Pokemon. It will always be the Pokemon itself who decide whether it wants to evolve or not - Ash's Bulbasaur is another good example of this.

...Also, Piplup has an Everstone attached to it to prevent its evolution. I forgot the reason, though.

Taillow/Swellow can survive alot of Thundershocks

THUNDER ARMOR

Crikko

B r e a t h i n '
...Also, Piplup has an Everstone attached to it to prevent its evolution. I forgot the reason, though.
Also Piplup refused to evolve like Pikachu/Bulbasaur!

Antiyonder

Overlord
Actually, I too wonder why they have Ash using his Pokedex on an older Pokemon himself. I mean since Dawn, May and the next region girl have a Pokedex, I'd think that they could be the ones to use their Pokedex instead.

FlyAsADunsparce

I wonder since when you start watching the anime.

Way back in the very first season, on the Vermillion Gym episode, it is shown that Pikachu itself does not want to evolve. Ash actually has offered the Thunderstone to Pikachu but Pika refused.

I've been watching the Animé from the very first episode, so I know everything about the not want to evolve thing. My point was, that they shouldn't be complaining that much and just evolve already. It's kinda like a natural process...

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
I've been watching Pokémon for a long time now and it bothers me that sometimes Ash, Dawn and a lot of other people on the show are being stupid often.

For example:
How can Ash and Dawn not figure out the Jessie is Jesselina. She used every single Rocket Pokémon at least once! Her voice is the same and the haircolor as well. How can you possibly not see that. I mean, there aren't many trainers that had a Dustox and have a Carnivine, Seviper, Mime Jr., Yanmega, Meowth en Wobbuffet. You'd think they had figured it out by now.

Type disadvantages:
It's also very annoying to see Ash sending out a Pokémon, which almost has no chance against the foe. For example Chikorita in the Violet Gym. It's freaking Grass, you shouldn't be all wise with your quotes by saying you don't care about disadvantages cause that's just stupid. And then they're being all surprised when a move doesn't work. ''Oh my god, ... doesn't have a scratch'' You just used thunderbolt against a freakin' Raichu smartypants. You wanna be a Pokémon Master? Then pay freakin' attention. And please evolve that yellow mouse and that blue penguin, trust me you'll win a lot more battles!

Pokédex:
Ash have seen a lot of pokémon already. Yet everytime he sees one, that he actually already saw, he grabs his pokédex. You'd think he remembered the info the dex gave him before...

You do realize Ash is a 10 year old..... To keep track of 493 Pokemon and with more coming...... its kinda difficult to remember all of them. Heck, I am 1 day from being 19 years old and I still can't remember most things I look up. Hahahaha Even though this is a show, meaning its fake, it should still be realistic is some ways, so Ash won't be able to memorize all of the Pokemon. Since we we've seen most dubbed episodes, can I ask you this? Can you tell me all of the Pokemon's Dex entries starting from when Ash first used his PokeDex? I mean, we were there when he did it, so we should be able to recite/remember them too..... right?

He does that to get a refresher. If you were to see Algebra 10 years from now, wouldn't you want a small refresher if you were to run into Algebra again? Or those you are far more advanced, I guess Pre-Calculus. I would want a small refresher to keep me in track, wouldn't I? Doesn't make me stupid, it makes me human?

About Jessie, I made a topic about this a few months ago and I wondered too if Ash & Co. were stupid but its a plot made by the writers. It would make Ash & Co.'s Pokemon stupid too, since they battled their Pokemon over and over again in competitions, so their Pokemon should recognize Team Rocket's Pokemon, no? I agree with them revealing her identity after the Grand Festival.

I agree with the type thing. The types isn't always the main factor. If Ash wants to use a Normal type against a Ghost type, by all means let him. It would provide a better challenge and if Ash were to accomplish that victory, it would make him a stronger trainer. If type advantages were such a big deal, explain how Charizard beat Blastoise? Don't say Blastoise was weakened prior, because Charizard battled against a Scizor & Golem, prior to battling Blastoise, if anything, Charizard was far more weakened.

It's kinda hard to debate whether they are stupid, since they do make comments on like "The attack didn't work", I agree with that and that only, however, type matchups aren't always the key. Sure some of Ash's choices were a mistake but it only gives his Pokemon experience, whether they won or lost in the said battle.

Oh, evolve Pikachu & Piplup you say? As much as I hate to say it, not all Pokemon will evolve even though they have the higher forms to do so. Pikachu, Piplup, Bulbasaur, Croagunk, and sadly Buizel seems like the only ones that will never evolve.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
There are many dumb things they did, but I will name a few:

1. Ash did not evolve his Pikachu/Bulbasaur/Cyndaquil/Totodile. I kind of understand the Pikachu situation, but with all the battles the other Pokemon had, they should have evolved at least once.

2. Ash clearly does not understand the concept of type match ups. Example: Pikachu against Golem/Ground pokemon

3. Team Rocket's/Jessie's terrible disguises: ANYONE could have figured them out by now.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
For the Jessie disguise, even when she's using the exact same pokemon they know TR have, it's pretty much plot induced stupidity, especially in the cases outside of contests whenever TR dresses up, even if there is always a dead give away (here's looking at the small whiskered man with paws instead of hands, an abnormally large head, no visible ears and no nose.)

As for type disadvantage, Ash has come a long way since he started and has been using type advantage where he can in his gym battles.

As for evolution, the anime likes to make points that a pokemon doesn't have to evolve in order to be strong, though I just think its an excuse the writers come up with to be able to sell plushies of the small pokemon. Personally I think it kinda sucks that this excuse has gotten in the way of Ash getting some pretty cool pokemon. May pretty much showed to have that rule wear off when she left the group since most off her unevolved pokemon had evolved when she returned.

Last edited:

poizonsting

Pokemon master
I think not recognising Jesselina as Jessie is pretty stupid for Ash and Dawn. Well, okay, maybe they're 10 so they have a hard time differentiating faces, voice, etc, but Brock, being a 15 year old, also can't recognise Jesselina as Jessie, which I find hard to believe. Anyway, it has become a running gag in the show

Anime =/= Game mechanics. Most of the times type disadvantage doesn't work out, but often enough, type disadvantage doesn't really seem to matter, as much as Pikachu's thunderbolt affects ground types (even though electric type attack shouldn't have any affect on ground type at all). Pikachu didn't evolve because it didn't want to. But the real reason being Pikachu is used widely for advertisement purpose of the Pokemon franchise. Piplup won't evolve because it doesn't want to (actually the writers want to retain its oh so cutie-cutie cuddly-cuddly appearance, so they could sell more plushies - it's all about money afterall).

Ash use his pokedex every now and then because, remember, the show is meant for kids. New audience come, grow old after 4 years and leave. More new audience replace their place. So it's just sort of reminding the new audience about the Pokemon they have never encountered before. That's how I see it anyway, but nonetheless, I DO find it quite annoying

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
If I was a Pokemon trainer I wouldn't force my Pokemon to evolve either. Ash doesn't have to evolve Pikachu or Bulbasaur and Piplup doesn't have to either. They can become strong just the way they are. Besides some like Meowth hate their evolutions so much that they refuse to evovle because of that (The Meowth in Boots seem to share the same opinion)

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
If I was a Pokemon trainer I wouldn't force my Pokemon to evolve either. Ash doesn't have to evolve Pikachu or Bulbasaur and Piplup doesn't have to either. They can become strong just the way they are. Besides some like Meowth hate their evolutions so much that they refuse to evovle because of that (The Meowth in Boots seem to share the same opinion)

Imagine...... a talking Persian.0_o

randomspot555

Same reason that the gang never recognizes them in disguise.

Though I do find it funny that James is often seen wearing his TR uniform in contest halls. He isn't even trying any more.

Type disadvantages:

There's more to Pokemon battles than typing of a Pokemon and typing of attacks.

Pokédex:

Dex says something different each time.

You're free to not watch it anymore.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Same reason that the gang never recognizes them in disguise.

Though I do find it funny that James is often seen wearing his TR uniform in contest halls. He isn't even trying any more.
That's because he knows he doesn't have to. He could probably just as easily walk around with his TR uniform in public with a shirt on that reads ' We are not Team Rocket' and Ash and co would never be able to tell until they spring their trap and toss off the shirt.

In fact I wonder if they even realize that it's TR when the trap is sprung or if it takes them starting their motto for them to finally catch on.

Antiyonder

Overlord
Now I can see the appeal of wanting see some evolved Pokemon on Ash's roster, and can agree that it's good to have some evolutions going on. But that doesn't mean every Pokemon he has needs to evolve (Though I tend to think that the writers should shake things up and allow for him to have some more middle evolutions like Bayleef and Pikachu to shake things up).

Besides, as we can see in Turtwig's case, evolution in the anime can actually present problems as much as they can be helpful.

Encyclopika

The Queen
Complaining threads...been there, closed that. Seriously...this board is to discuss the anime, not complain about it. :/

//CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.