• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash/Dawn Losing is NOT Entertaining!

Lishus13

Poli-Spriter!
Ok, so this applies more to ASH than Dawn, but I wanted to include both in here because they both basically are lackluster competitors.

Ash has lost or tied to every gym leader so far, and it's not entertaining to me. I don't really CARE to see any "OMIGOSH, I iz losted? TRAIN MUST I!" episodes, just so he can come up with some dumb strategy to bang the opponent. I mean, he lost to a Cranidos, won against Rampardos in Oreburgh, which is just downright FORCED. I don't much care to see Paul LMAO'ing at Ash every time Ash loses and Paul DEMOLISHING the gyms. What happened to Hoenn Ash, or Kanto Ash, or dare I say it, Johto Ash?!?
Dawn sucks too, I can't stand her character, I want to knife Piplup in the back of the head and laugh.
To the point, Ash losing is NOT entertaining, the character "development" is NOT worth watching a losing main character. If Ash DEM's his way to the top of the Sinnoh League, I will seriously lose hope in the series as a whole, it's just too unpredictable and forced.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I don't mind them losing but I am pretty concerned with the pacing of Sinnoh so far.

We're 80+ episodes in and Ash is only at the 4th Gym, by him losing its only going to stretch this out even more. Not to mention all the time that has to be spent on the Grand Festival, Sinnoh League, and the Galactic story.

I'm not sure why the writers are having Ash lose so much, but I guess the writers want to make the Gym leaders of Sinnoh all powerful or something.

Dax

Legend
Ash worries me a bit since I think he's getting rather worst. It's ironic since this is the only season I see him invested in training.

Dawn getting out of her misery thrilled me since she did it with a bang. I hope she continues to win.

PDL

disenchanted
Perhaps the writers want to show the process of going from puny to powerful in a gradual manner. Besides, it's good to showcase the strength of the one-shot characters from time to time and not make it seem like Ash and Dawn are having an easy time.

Would you rather have Ash and his friends tear through their respective competitions as easily as they did in Kanto?

cassius335

Aura Trainer
I don't mind them losing but I am pretty concerned with the pacing of Sinnoh so far.

We're 80+ episodes in and Ash is only at the 4th Gym, by him losing its only going to stretch this out even more. Not to mention all the time that has to be spent on the Grand Festival, Sinnoh League, and the Galactic story.

I'm not sure why the writers are having Ash lose so much, but I guess the writers want to make the Gym leaders of Sinnoh all powerful or something.

Maybe we'll be in Sinnoh for the full 200-odd eps?

5Turtwis23

Riolu Master
dawn u would expect to suck kinda like may did when hoen 1st started
Ash hes just pain right lost it

Yeti

Banned
Ash has lost or tied to every gym leader so far, and it's not entertaining to me....I don't much care to see Paul LMAO'ing at Ash every time Ash loses and Paul DEMOLISHING the gyms.
Dude what are you talking about that's hilarious how bad he's gotten compared to his former self. He got majorly reset for Sinnoh. It's a nice CHANGE to see the main characters getting their butts kicked left and right instead of May's nuclear-powered Squirtle somehow managing to dominate everything it came up against. Do you just not like to see your beloved Ash suffer or something, because this crap is realistic. Ash isn't some magic superhero who can beat the tar out of every gym leader.
MAYBE THESE LEADERS ARE, GASP, GOOD!

In conclusion, it is funny to watch Ash get creamed after being all "Man I am great." and cocky. And look, what do you want, Original Kanto v.2 where he gets like 6/8 badges by not even fighting? This way he's at least earning all his badges by battling, and yes, he's losing, because yes, gym leaders are GOOD AT BATTLING and can beat random kids wandering around. Sinnoh is realistic, not some happy-rainbow-star-heart-filled acid trip of love.

And I'm all for a long Sinnoh. It's shaping up to be good, I like Dawn a heck of a lot more than May, max's failed-abortion self isn't present to ruin anything decent (he doesn't deserve a capital), and Team Galactic's potential greatness is eventually going to show up more and more. The gym leaders are even more interesting than they were in Hoenn.

J-boogie200

Dude what are you talking about that's hilarious how bad he's gotten compared to his former self. He got majorly reset for Sinnoh. It's a nice CHANGE to see the main characters getting their butts kicked left and right instead of May's nuclear-powered Squirtle somehow managing to dominate everything it came up against. Do you just not like to see your beloved Ash suffer or something, because this crap is realistic. Ash isn't some magic superhero who can beat the tar out of every gym leader.
MAYBE THESE LEADERS ARE, GASP, GOOD!

In conclusion, it is funny to watch Ash get creamed after being all "Man I am great." and cocky. And look, what do you want, Original Kanto v.2 where he gets like 6/8 badges by not even fighting? This way he's at least earning all his badges by battling, and yes, he's losing, because yes, gym leaders are GOOD AT BATTLING and can beat random kids wandering around. Sinnoh is realistic, not some happy-rainbow-star-heart-filled acid trip of love.

And I'm all for a long Sinnoh. It's shaping up to be good, I like Dawn a heck of a lot more than May, max's failed-abortion self isn't present to ruin anything decent (he doesn't deserve a capital), and Team Galactic's potential greatness is eventually going to show up more and more. The gym leaders are even more interesting than they were in Hoenn.
I agree with you 100%. Personally I love Ash and Dawn and them losing just proves that they can work on their weak points so that they won't make their mistakes again. Gym leaders are supposed to be hard to beat and in reality in order for the show to be in full throttle, they must be defeated in order to get to the next town. Ash is a cool dude and it's good he gets his losses out of the way now because come league time losing to anyone or Paul is not an option in my book! Dawn is the same way. I think she is a bada** in my opinion and all her losses are going to mean something in the future. For example:Zoey, Kenny, Nando, and even Jessie seem to have their pokemon and strategies down pat and probably had a more of an easy road to go on contest wise. Being that Dawn beat May, a lot of people were upset but I was not. Although I love May and if I had to choose on favor it would be May, Dawn needed the ribbon more and when May won her first ribbon against Grace, Grace had 3 ribbons and clearly had more experience, but she explained having experience was only minor. Contests you have to have strategy and maybe strong enough pokemon to KO but all of Dawn's wins to me will be based on points. Anyway, with these losses, Dawn will probably lose in a couple of more especially after the Wallace Cup due to she won a big arc and so she won't get sidetracked learn another lesson. Come GF time. All of Dawn's losses are going to mean no losses against Zoey, Nando, and Kenny. It wouldn't be right. I could be wrong but overall I love DP and as long as the upcoming episodes aren't boring, it can go on till I'm a senior and I'm a going on sophomore now. Misty is my girl and would make the show a whole lot more interesting if she returned. Her and Ash's friendship is touching and I'm a dude from the Bronx and I feel this way.

Andywoo

Banned
so your saying you want ash and dawn to blitz through the league and win the festival/championship. at that rate it would be all over after about 50 epsiodes (including fillers). i prefer it the way it is at the moment, plus you get to see characters more than once before there buried into the list of other COTD people.

pokemaster95

King of pirates
Well I think the reason why is losing so muh is because he hasn't been using pikachu as much.In hoen and Jhoto He used pikachu all the time and won.In sinnoh he barley uses pikachu and he is losing.ironic ain't it.

dude...I love the way the whole DP saga is being handled!

With Ash, I think all these struggles are being set up for greater victory later on...there's a good chance that Karen's speech on the Elite 4 is leading up to Ash's challenging them all later on, which would require his strongest team yet...I think the writers intend to show a great amount of growth for all his Pokemon, hence the slow pacing, but they're still gradually learning awesome attacks (Energy Ball, Brave Bird, Water Pulse)

...to me, "less entertaining" was watching Ash blow away Wattson with some BS over-powered Pikachu...or any gym battle where Pikachu pulls some insane victory using the same old moves ("special armor" against Solrock and Lunatone? throwing Milotic? the entire battle with Regice?)

With Dawn, I think it just makes sense...it was a bit ridiculous how May, as a first-time coordinator, was breezing through contest after contest (only losing twice in Hoenn before the GF)...whereas Dawn actually acts/performs like a true novice, but she's learning from her mistakes and will probably go on to perform respectably in the Sinnoh GF

Last edited:

Dark Gem

Dragon Master
I find this series a little annoying and a little interesting. I'm actually glad that they are getting Ash to train more. I'm getting tired of seeing weak starters and I hope they actually make some of Ash's team evolves instead of being just starters. Ash needs to work harder and I'm glad this series the writers make him do that.

Now moving on. Dawn, what the heck are the writers thinking? I mean come on she acts crybaby and everytime she loses she cries. I mean come on! Give me a main character that isn't going to be acting like crybaby everytime something goes wrong in battle/contest.

I find this series somewhat entertaining at times and other times I just want to shoot myself.

Dark Gem

Dragon Master
I find this series a little annoying and a little interesting. I'm actually glad that they are getting Ash to train more. I'm getting tired of seeing weak starters and I hope they actually make some of Ash's team evolves instead of being just starters. Ash needs to work harder and I'm glad this series the writers make him do that.

Now moving on. Dawn, what the heck are the writers thinking? I mean come on she acts crybaby and everytime she loses she cries. I mean come on! Give me a main character that isn't going to be acting like crybaby everytime something goes wrong in battle/contest.

I find this series somewhat entertaining at times and other times I just want to shoot myself.

Dark Gem

Dragon Master

dman_dustin

I mean, he lost to a Cranidos, won against Rampardos in Oreburgh, which is just downright FORCED.

Not true, Turtwig knocked out Cranidos while Onix was the one that Ash lost too. And again Ash's Turtwig beat Rampardos, so how was it forced?

As I've said in the other thread (the next episode) if the Sinnoh's gym leaders existed since Ash started his journey. Why is Ash allowed to grow and the Gym Leaders remain the relative same strength (when compared to the games)

RegalStar

This whole topic is hypocritical.

OK, so you don't like how "Ash loses once then wins it back after training". How else would you like it then? Would you like him to, well, pull more DEMs at greater magnitudes to tear through the entire sinnoh like how May did in Hoenn? Or would you like him to forever not get past a gym and effectively halt the anime?

I don't even know what the TC is trying to suggest here.

I don't feel like reading this whole thread
But I'm upset that Pikachu loses so much
It should be like level 97943 by now.

pokemaster95

King of pirates
WEll if pikachu was that strong Ash would be a pokemon master by now wouldn't he.

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
It only irritates me that Ash loses against trainers when he fights with Pikachu, as said. Given the amount of times he's lost or tied with opponents, it really kinda overshadows his past accomplishments (i.e. one-shotting Regice). Every other loss is understandable and acceptable. Pikachu... that thing should be able to nuke a Pokemon into the next life.