• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash & Dawn! Tag Battle! (615)

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
So I have just a few hours left before I turn 21, meaning that this is the last Pocket Monsters episode I ever plan on watching sober. In other words, if my episode reviews didn't make sense as they were, they're about to become a whole lot less intelligible. Likewise, I may as well absorb this episode's plot deeply and then over-analyze the fairness of the battle. Or perhaps not. A short paragraph should suffice.

First off, welcome back Tamagawa! That was a truly frightening 85 or so episodes in the dark. I suppose having the battle fill up the entirety of the episode would be stretching it a lot, but the material with TR felt like a waste of time regardless. Beefing up baby Pokemon is nothing new for this series. It seems lifespan is a nonexistent factor in gauging a Pokemon's strength, but it's not really worth complaining about since it's happened many times before. All things considered, the battle was decent if you aren't overly analytical of type advantage and newborn Pokemon capabilities. And obviously Brock's new PokeGear is going to be used to inform viewers of where Brock is each episode, since the guy is easy to lose.

waterballoon

Aspiring Coordinator
What kind of tag battle episode is this when the first half is dedicated to TR? *rolls eyes*

Anyway, wow @ Tototdile evolving and uber Light Screen. Though I wish Crocronaw would at least defeat Cyndaquil to show that it's stronger rather than... yeah we know what happened.

NES

Flip me to the side!
It was a fun episode, TR took to long, but their new robot was nice.

Kotone's Chikorita has lost two battles against Dawn, and both were quite bad defeats (not like she had a chance against two fire types), i think it would be fair to have Chikorita and Cyndaquil both knocked out, but oh well, it's been said a lot about the new born pokemon, so i'll stop. Personally i wanted to see Girafarig or even Marill in action, because she used Chikorita before, but i guess she relies on her too much o_O (with bad results).

Good animation, and Johto flashbacks, and a pokegear to tell us they won't be ditched perhaps? the zeppelin was better than the usual good bye boat.

Blaziryu

The tag battle was alright. I like that rotation shot when Monferno deck Croconaw right it's face w/ Mach Punch. Nice. Dawn's Cyndaquil did pretty good as well. Commercial Girl & Four Eyes should be ashamed of themselves for losing against a newborn PKMN. It's great that Brock receive a PokeGear. Now there won't be any accuses for the them to get lost in the woods or somewhere else anymore.

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
1) Loved reference to Whitney and Morty
2) Sad to see Kotone and Kazunari leave
3) Surprised the match wasn't decided on a match between Monferno and Croconaw but instead both Chikorita and Croconaw were defeated
4) Nice to see Monferno return in battling after quite a while
5) Brock getting a Pokegear kinds makes me think he won't leave at the end of this season, as they'd never have given him something like this if he was going to leave. It's not an absolute view, it's just an assumption if you want.

shac

It's one thing for Monferno to take a hydro-pump in the face and survive, but cynda getting through that is just absurd.

Nice battle animation.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Happy birthday to me
I don't live in a tree
But I think I will
If the writers don't stop spewing out HGSS swill

Oh, this is the last HGSS advertisathon ep? Alright, I GUESS I can stand watching it, then.

-Why are they going to fight in the most run-down stadium ever? Do all the tournement stadiums just never get repaired from all the damage? Are there 1,000,000,000 of these things scattered around each region?
-Dialga and Palkia stadiums? Are these legitimate ancient ruins, then?
-Oh, Kotone doesn't know about them. Good time to remind the kids about these legendary Pokemon before they're dragged out for the TG finale, then!
-We pledge allegence, to the statues, of the dragon gods of spacetime, and to the anarchy for which Pokemon stands, one region, with like 20 cities, and friendship and trust for all.
-And now they're discussing their goals and dreams. This is one of those episodes, isn't it?
-Team Rocket already!
-You never properly realize how weird Drapion looks until you see a mecha of it.
-Hey! Monferno's still alive!
-Haha, Piplup. You're such a card when the writers remember that you have a personality.
-TR was surprisingly smart today! Making two tunnels to throw off the twerps? Brilliant!...relatively speaking, of course.
-Kazunari? How, exactly, is giving Dawn your Pokegear going to help?
-Having the decoy mecha blow up in your faces is what you get for following the small tunnel instead of the one that was the same size as the one you knew the mecha was in before.
-But wait! The other tunnel leads to...a river?!
-The wild water Pokemon helpfully let Our Heroes Who Aren't Ash And Dawn know which way the Drapion mecha went. How convenient that the wild Pokemon knew enough to help OHWAAAD.
-Or is this some natural thing relating to the tunnels that lets them know or WHAT IS GOING ON HERE.
-Kotone burns some more of her Pokegear texting allowance to let AshnDawn know where they're going.
-TR, quite understandably, thinks they've won! At least they didn't start celebrating the instant they got 5 feet away from the twerps for once.
-STARPATOR IS STILL ALIVE TODAY. What is this, a parade of all the Pokemon on Ash's team we haven't seen since Snowpoint?
-I have a new favorite "team rocket is fried to a crisp by something" shot!
-And TR gets blasted off as quickly as usual.
-Now for BATTLING. Horray?
-Ash and Dawn both send out fire types. EXCELLENT idea, seeing as both of your enemies have water Pokemon. Luckily for them, the writers decide to stuff all three Johto starters into one battle instead of having Kazunari and Kotone do the smart thing and send out Totodile and Marill(instead of Chikorita).
-Kazunari is as baffled as I am about why Kotone sent out Chikorita.
-Blah blah skipping over lots of boring battling blah
-Chikorita can take a beating!
-And Totodile evolves! Giving us...what, the second Croconaw we've seen in the entire series?
-Skipping over more battling, and oh look, Kazunari and Kotone lost.
-Hey look guys! Kazunari has a FATHER! Whose FACE IS SHOWN! He's officially out of the cool kids' club!
-Kazunari and that other girl have to go back to Johto...by blimp. Haven't these people heard of AIRPLANES? No, seriously. Why is it always BLIMPS?
-I'm sure Kazunari's saying something cool(probably about FRIENDSHIP!), I just don't know what.
-Hey! It's the gym leader whose only notable trait(according to all her gym leader sign slogans) is that she's supposedly pretty! And the stoner gym leader who look(s/ed) like a surfer dude but uses ghost Pokemon! (although Morty's clothes were always black in the games, so...I'm wondering why everything else has him wearing surfer dude blue. Until now, when he has his Mismagius-y outfit, obviously.) I guess they had to advertise the Johto GLs too with the brief mention of those two.
-Brock gets a POKEGEAR. An otherwise useless character with the Special Stuff-Doing Device of the Game? He's Max now! 8D (Brock is going to use that twice, maybe. Just like Dawn's coin flip app.)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I must say, I am a little sad now that Kotone and Kazunari have left. I disliked them but now the group seems empty.

I noticed that Akane (Whitney) and Matsuba (Morty) were seen wearing their old clothes instead of new ones like Clair's.

BM14murph

Master Collector
I must say, I am a little sad now that Kotone and Kazunari have left. I disliked them but now the group seems empty.

I noticed that Akane (Whitney) and Matsuba (Morty) were seen wearing their old clothes instead of new ones like Clair's.

I think that's because it was a flashback of how brock and ash knew them not as they are now if ya get me

I liked this episode over all i must say

TR motto looked pretty good..........well J and J's poses anyway
Random water pokemon jumping out of ground always good to see lol
Damn Piplup Pikachu combo again like Staraptor was there why not use him to get rid of TR
The battle was very good i though some excellent artwork in my opinion
Croconaw my love you have returned
Hydro Pump looked brilliant but how in the name of God did cyndaquil get up from that....i understand monferno but not Cynda
That flame wheel Flamethrower combination looked epic
They should have let Croconaw hit Cynda and then Have Monferno win not have him dodge they're pushing Cynda too much already if you ask me
Did i hear them say something about coordinator???
Wow Brock getting Pokegear not so useless after all my man...........GO BROCK!!!

STICKTOPIA

I think that they did make Cyndaquil to powerful to fast.
Yup they rushed it big time. No way a newly hatched pokemon can do that well but this is the anime so anything can happen.

Rizardon

Boulder Trainer
Come on people, stop using game logic for the anime.

1 Hydro pump would kill a normal Cyndaquil, so let's stop whining about how this newly hatched 'level 1' Cyndaquil can take a beating from all that.

uber gon

Accept Change
Hopefully Dawn's Cyndaquil will learn some new, unique attacks to compensate for it strength.

Mythic Mist

Indecent Exposure
Wow. When you watch this in high quality you just wish that the whole series was this well animated. The battle looked really slick and the final Mach Punch and Flame wheels look amazing. Team rocket's sexy motto pose was cool too.

Other than the animation and the short battle this episode was kinda whatever. Not horrible, but not amazing. Though I wonder what they'll have Brock do with that Pokegear...Doesn't Misty have one too?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Other than the animation and the short battle this episode was kinda whatever. Not horrible, but not amazing. Though I wonder what they'll have Brock do with that Pokegear...Doesn't Misty have one too?

You're not going to start with some conspiracy theory that Brock owning a Pokegear will allow the group to call Misty and vice versa, are you?

After the way Misty fans blew the lure from the Buizel capture ep out of proportion and thought that meant the character would appear, I wouldn't start the conspiracy theories again.

TeddiUrsa

Pfff...blue PokéGears...who uses those? Underused breeders that is.

The battle part of this episode was REALLY enjoyable. Manly due to great choegraphy and awesome animation. Tamagawa is the king...

While TR plan was pretty clever this time I could have done without the whole scheme...I just wanted the double battle to start already...pfff...impatient me, I know.

I found the scene between Kotone and Kazunari to be quiet cute and I wasn´t as annoyed by them as I thought I would.

And I don´t get why so many people complain about Hino being too powerful. It became common in the anime to have powerful baby pokémon and I prefer a new Pokémon with potential over some clumsy little baby that needs tons of training. At least this late into the saga.

It would have been great to see Morty in his redesigned form, because I really like him that way, but it was still nice to see him and Whitney at the end of this episode.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Monferno was so strong, i loved his moves.

and Kazunari's Totodile evolved, great.

7/10

Torpoleon

It was nice to see another tag battle with Ash and Dawn. Monferno and and Cyndaquil did great. Totodile evolving was awesome.

10/10
Well, I did like the episode. Even getting Pikachu and Piplup back seemed cool. Ash, Dawn, Lyra and Khoury all did great. Totodile evolving and learning a new move was cool.