• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash & Dawn! Tag Battle! (615)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Ash & Dawn! Tag Battle!

After the Suiren Contest, Ash, Dawn, Kotone & Kazunari decide they should have a battle. However, before they get started, Team Rocket appear and kidnap Pikachu & Piplup. Will Ash & Co. manage to rescue their friends and who will win the Tag battle?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

dman_dustin

First half of the episode was about Team Rocket, I know it's a tag battle but did Team Rocket need to fill up that much space in the time.

Oh well.

I'm surprised Dawn's Cyndaquil stood up to Totodile/Croconaw, say what you will about Kotone and Kazunari but Cyndaquil is newly hatched (a couple of episodes). It took an aqua tail and a hydro pump.

I'm a bit annoyed they played Cyndaquil as tough as Monferno or Monferno struggling equally with Cyndaquil.

But oh well, nice to see Monferno after awhile (even though we saw it in the Gible episode).

Monferno and Cyndaquil both beat Croconaw and Chikorita. Though, Cyndaquil's flame wheel was powered up by Monferno's flamethrower. But Monferno single handedly defeated Croconaw.

An interesting tidbit, I believe unless I saw the scene wrong (about the person not the event), I believe Kazunari's father gave Brock a Poke gear. Again Brock did receive a Pokegear but I'm a little uncertain about who gave it to him. It was either Kazunari or his father.

Yep that was it.

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
I'll still say that the Superpowered-Flamethrower-into-Flame Wheel thing was a bit of an overkill on Ash & Dawn's part. It's a Chikorita. You two have Fire types. You really didn't need to explode on Kotone's Chikorita's face.

And the PokéGear reminded me of that flashback thing. ... If Clair's in her new outfit, why isn't Morty wearing his sweater? Is he wearing his old shirt under his sweater, and simply didn't feel like wearin' it in the flashback?

DSDark

Breeder
I'll still say that the Superpowered-Flamethrower-into-Flame Wheel thing was a bit of an overkill on Ash & Dawn's part. It's a Chikorita. You two have Fire types. You really didn't need to explode on Kotone's Chikorita's face.

And the PokéGear reminded me of that flashback thing. ... If Clair's in her new outfit, why isn't Morty wearing his sweater? Is he wearing his old shirt under his sweater, and simply didn't feel like wearin' it in the flashback?

well its a flashback, so its showing Morty in the past not how he is in the present

GaZsTiC

Alternating
That Cyndaquil really is a bit of a savant in battle, huh? It's only a few weeks old!

A few weeks? More like just one week!

Team Rocket's interference annoyed me however humorous it was at how confused Ash and co got when Team Rocket split the dirt tracks in two, because it was too long! However, it did give Monferno some extra very-needed air-time.

The double battle was quite impressive. Kotone's Chikorita unleashed a powerful Solar Beam and used Light Screen/Reflect well this time around to make up for its first on-screen battle against Dawn's Piplup...where it lost miserably. Kazunari's Totodile was probably the strongest battler there and didn't give up whenever it took hits. However, you've gotta take into account that Totodile had a type advantage.

Dawn's Cyndaquil worked great with Ash's Monferno and together created a strong offence which quickly destroyed the rivalling Pokemon, even after Totodile had evolved into Croconaw. But to be fair, we all knew that Dawn and Ash were probably going to win. It adds character development reflecting on their past double battles together where they lost quite bad, and now they can work together and Dawn might be able to win a Double Contest.

Awwww...Kotone and Kazunari had to go back to Johto. I was just getting used to having them around...oh well...

YAY!! Brock got given a PokeGear from Kazunari's father. I wonder what Brock will be able to do with it in the future but Ash and co will be able to keep in touch with their Johto friends.

I like TR's robot this time. Looks awesome. Especially the mini-Drapion robo.

The animation for this ep looked top-notch. And colorful.

Yaaay, Ash and Dawn wonnnn. But, Kotone and Kazunari left... AND, Brock got a PokéGear. Nice.

TicoPokemonMaster

This goes to anyone who understand japanese, what was said during the flashback of Whitney and Morty, from what I got of it without understanding the language is Brock was telling Kotone of the next two gym leader. But did Ash say anything about having challenged them or something.

I litterally skipped about half of the episode because the team rocket mini part was too long. Plus it got to a point when you just know it the same formula. Though I did find the decoy robot to be something different.

I wished that the team rocket part was shorter, that way we could have seen, Marril, Giraffraig , and Gible in battle( under a trainers command). But I liked the battle none the less.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Didn't really care for the TR segment all that much and as for the battle portion.

first of all, Light Screen is beginning to bug me, it's being treated like protect against special attacks, and works for an unkown amount of turns in battle, the battle with paul was bad enough but to see it happen again where special attacks do nothing while it's up is rediculious, it should still do some damage to the enemy, not totally negate it.

Also, Dawn's Cyndaquil's not exactly looking to good either, i can understand the Razor Leaf not doing much, but it also took a Aqua Tail and a bloody hydro pump after Totodile evolved and was still able to fight? Looks like we've got the next Squirtle on our hands.

Overall the battle could've been handled better, but I am satisfied that Monferno was able to pretty much decimate both Chikorita(death for you could not have been any sweeter.) and Croconaw(despite evolving and learning Hydro Pump) to make up for it's loss to Paul, but Dawn's Cyndaquil should've gone down, i'm sorry but a recently born pokemon can only do so much in it's first battle.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It was a pretty good battle. Although it is kinda silly that Chikorita was able to last so long against two fire types.

Dawn's Cyndaquil seems pretty strong already for a Pokemon that just hatched like 2 episodes ago. Looks like another baby Pokemon that's already strong, the writers constantly repeat the past.

I wonder how Brock will use the PokeGear throughout the show? Perhaps for long distance communication? And Misty has one too, so perhaps a small cameo? And Nice to see Morty and Whitney in their old uniforms.

rlopez

I wonder how Brock will use the PokeGear throughout the show? Perhaps for long distance communication? And Misty has one too, so perhaps a small cameo? And Nice to see Morty and Whitney in their old uniforms.

I didnt even know Misty had one, was this in a chronicles episode or did she have one in the main series and Im just drawing a blank.

But anyways, personally the tag battle wasnt what I expected but overall pretty good. I still think they made Cyndaquil too powerful too fast but then again, I would be disappointed if Ash and Dawn lost. So I guess its alright, for now.

thunderblade12

I have a feeling he might not use it.

Then why give it to him period? I think the phone call feature will be used heavily.

This episode made the pokemon look strong, Particularly Cyndaquil

Chikorita:
Flamethrower - weakend but super effective
Swift X2 - Weakend
Mach punch - not very effective
Flame wheel-flame thrower - super effective

Totodile/Croconaw:
Flamethrower - weakened
Swift X2 - weakened
Dig
Swift
Mach punch

Monferno:
Water gun - super effective
Hydro pump - super effective

Cyndaquil:
Razor leaf - Not very effective
Aqua tail - super effective
Hydro pump - super effective

Last edited:

uber gon

Accept Change
Could you imagine how strong Cyndaquil will be once it evolves? That thing could probably become the next Charizard or something.

STICKTOPIA

It was an interesting episode. Cyndaquil is strong for a newly hatched pokemon o_O. Yea uber it will be the next Charizard. I was afraid they would lose b/c totodile evolved. It's about time Monferno gets screen time even though it was shown in the gible episode. Thunderblade12 how is mach punch not very effective to Chikorita?

Last edited:

thunderblade12

It's not. I was thinking Chikorita part poison type like Bulbasaur but it's not. Eh..guess that's what I get for always choosing Cyndaquil and Totodile in the Johto games.

I doubt Cyndaquil will remain the powerhouse it is. Power fluctuates so much in this anime. A pokemon can defeat a Dragonite in it's weakest stage and then lose to a Dunsparce after it's fully evolved.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yeah, just like with the potential Dragon type Gible Ash may be getting >_>

What I meant is Dawn's Cyndaquil is a baby that hatched 2 episodes ago, and its already a strong Pokemon.

Very similar to May's Squirtle, although we never saw Squirtle hatch from an egg, we still knew it was a young Pokemon.