• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on Ash having finally won a Pokemon League.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Who here remembers the first time Ash lost his league? Pretty shocking right? When I was a kid, there was nothing quite like that on television, to actually see the protagonist fail in his long-term dream. In some ways, it felt like a betrayal to kids who have their hopes up. Looking back at it, that was some seriously good writing for a kid's show before they bloated it into a long-running joke. Now however, Ash actually won a league.

I bet most of us who've seen the first time Ash lost his league are now in our 20s right? I'm not really happy or disappointed to be honest with Ash's victory. Unless you count the Orange Island series, it honestly feels strange to see Ash holding the trophy for the very first time that I can't quite put it into words to describe this feeling. Not really sure. What about you guys? How did you feel when Ash finally won a Pokemon League?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Something something spoilers even in the freaking title, something something not in the spoilers forum. Seriously dude? Not going to use foul language even though I really want to, but dude... why did you think this was anything above asinine?

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Please let this be a stepping stone for him beating a more competive and prestige league in Galar. And make the fact that he's the Alola league winner a recurring thing where people bring it more often, especially when Bede someone beats him and blames him to be to weak. Also I expect him to also win the Galar league and having a more extensive afterstory ala champions league or whatever they have in their minds.

If they immidiately forget about that or the anime replacing Ash right now, then I found the Alola league or pretty much SM as Ash's final season very lackluster.

shoz999

Something something spoilers even in the freaking title, something something not in the spoilers forum. Seriously dude? Not going to use foul language even though I really want to, but dude... why did you think this was anything above asinine?
I'll tell the mods to move it.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I posted my impression at the referred episode itself but I'll paste it here as well...

While I'm surprised that he won the Pokemon League, just like Misty & Brock cameos, it doesn't really make me to change my mind about him. My main criticism is mostly about how he stole the spotlights compared to the companions/classmates while they only have one series to shine, than how he's an "eternal loser", in which isn't true because he did win the Orange League & Battle Frontier ones. So I would most likely disappointed if he appears again in the next series, still hogging the spotlights by a huge margin, even though we don't know much about the new series until a few weeks later at this time of writing.

shoz999

Also change the title, thread titles show up on the main page outside of the forum itself.
There. I lengthen the title so not the entire thread title shows up on the main page outside of the forums. It says "Thoughts on Ash having finally..." and cuts off there.

VoltTacklingPika

I'm happy but at the same time I have regrets about it.

I've always felt Ash's league win, whenever it happened, should be a huge deal in the show. Ideally, it would have been something with a lot of build-up resulting in enormous pay-off. They could have canonised his previous failures and used it as motivation for the character to really want to win this time. Then, the win itself should feel like it's hard earned, because it's always more satisfying that way.

This isn't to say Guzma or Gladion aren't worthwhile opponents for Ash, but the Alola League lacked a sense of gravitas. In the first place, winning the league wasn't Ash's goal this time, and it only became so when Kukui happened to make the Alola League a reality. Despite building a stadium for it and getting all the endorsements, the tournament still didn't feel like it was a big deal. So the win almost feels incidental rather than something Ash was actively working towards for a long time. The happiness comes from the meta of Ash not winning for 22 years rather than the narrative building to that moment.

By comparison, I remember the Indigo Plateau being this huge deal within the show itself. How Ash's performance there was something to celebrate for the whole of Pallet Town. The Silver Conference was similar, because Ash's exploits were watched around the world, as acknowledged by Max, the media during Battle Frontier and that one Nurse Joy. Within the world, Ash's achievements feel significant even though he didn't win.

But since around DP, this stopped being a thing. Ash returned home not to parties about his success but to nobody except his mother. Characters didn't acknowledge his placements or achievements. There was no recognition that he ever competed, and that makes the tournaments feel much less significant to me. My gut feeling is that Alola will be the same. Not even Delia or Oak were that happy about Ash winning and they've been his biggest fans for years.

Last edited:

kickachu

Momentai!
so you think that ash will continue his journey even as a champion because wining a league is one step to becoming a pokemon master

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
so you think that ash will continue his journey even as a champion because wining a league is one step to becoming a pokemon master
His voice actress had confirmed that he will be to continue grow as he still on going on his journey to be a great Pokemon master .....so yeah he still had long way to be called a Pokemon Master Satoshi!

kickachu

Momentai!
His voice actress had confirmed that he will be to continue grow as he still on going on his journey to be a great Pokemon master .....so yeah he still had long way to be called a Pokemon Master Satoshi!
can I get a link?

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
At least the win means that the seemingly unbreakable status quo has finally been broken, which means that now there's finally a scope beyond the same rigid & repetitive formula the Pokemon anime follows region after region, a.k.a. losing the League and going off to another region. Now at least Ash gets the chance to take the secondary big step after that long-awaited primary step & go for the next big challenge that awaits him as his next stepping stone that comes after the League challenge.

Losing the League & being send-off to the next region was getting really repeatitive after all these 22 years. I'm glad that Ash will now go for a brand-new challenge having overcome the juncture/point where he was always being stopped repeatedly, it's honestly much more refreshing to finally see a new stepping stone for Ash other than the League.

The League wasn't the best by any means, nor was the final battle the best final Ash battle in a League (even though I personally did enjoy Ash vs Gladion's purely as a battle regardless of the outcome), but from a narrative & nostalgia standpoint the moment of Ash finally winning a League is still huge, especially after all the years, the moment is still definitely a big landmark in Ash's journey as trainer up to thus far.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how I feel about it. I wasn’t really a fan of S/M as a whole because the pacing seemed really off and I still have mixed feelings about gyms having been replaced with Island challenges this time around. That being said, it’s still a happy moment for Ash. It feels weird to see things like, “It’s been 22 years.” It makes me wonder just how long the franchise and anime will continue on for.