• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Fire Starter Pokemon

Poketime93

Hoenn Bound Baby!!!
Has any one noticed that all of ash's fire starter pokemon have been abandoned(except for Cyndaquil)

Charmander-Trainer Left Behind to fend for itself

Chimchar-Paul released because it was weak

Tepig-Tied up and left behind at the battle Club By Shamus

TicoPokemonMaster

I think a more common theme is that all of Ash's fire starter have or would have belonged to cruel trainers. This allows Cyndaquil to join in the group since he was almost caught by that Sandslash trainer that didn't seem to be very kind.

Arrow-Jolteon

Electric Trainer
Yes, people have known this for quite a while now, actually.

0ddish

The writers like to recycle stories, and with such a long running show as this, the same thing is bound to occur again and again. And usually the writers like to give a reason as to why such a rare Pokémon such as a starter can be found just in the wild, so they attribute it to trainers.

zhixun

I think this anime wants to show that the trainers who have abandon fire type starters were a stupid decision. But after Satoshi's care it turns out to be too powerful like Lizardon and Goukazaru.

MattySadler

Yes, they love recycling stories and themes.

It is a very easy way to show how Ash befriends, raises and cares for his Pokemon in the right way and has the right attitude. Effortless writing.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Cyndaquil almost got caught by what seemed like an abusive trainer too.

Also Torkoal was harassed by wild Steelix and Magnemite in the episode Ash caught it. So even Torkoal had to be saved from being bullied by someone else. lol.

zhixun

Recycling ideas is the pokemon motto. Even if it's broke, don't fix it.

The problem is the anime will go stale in my opinion if they are not going to fix it. Writers should develop some new ideas about that. I think how Satoshi got a Kimori and Takeshi got a Mizugorou is a better idea than all the fire starters are going to be abused by a trainer.

TicoPokemonMaster

The problem is the anime will go stale in my opinion if they are not going to fix it. Writers should develop some new ideas about that. I think how Satoshi got a Kimori and Takeshi got a Mizugorou is a better idea than all the fire starters are going to be abused by a trainer.

This is coming from writers who generally assume that kids will out grow watching the anime and a new batch of kids will start watching without prior knowledge of the previous saga. Hench why Ash is generally knocked down a few pegs in his skill set and well as Pikachu. So why write something new when you can recycle plot for a new crowd

chalkus

This is coming from writers who generally assume that kids will out grow watching the anime and a new batch of kids will start watching without prior knowledge of the previous saga. Hench why Ash is generally knocked down a few pegs in his skill set and well as Pikachu. So why write something new when you can recycle plot for a new crowd

It's almost like they have no confidence in the quality of their own show.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!

The anime has been running for 17 years. People obviously did not keep up with the entire run of the show, and new kids comes into watching it for the first time who had never seen any previous saga.

The kids watching Pokemon now have probably never seen any of Kanto, Johto, AG, or the first half of DP for example.

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.

They don't care about the quality. All they care about is making a quick buck off the viewers, that's it. So the point is that things like Ash's Fire Starter being abused or scarred is something that has, and will continue to happen. They don't care because kids will watch till league time, then new kids pick the show up from there. It's a repetitive cycle really.

chalkus

The anime has been running for 17 years. People obviously did not keep up with the entire run of the show, and new kids comes into watching it for the first time who had never seen any previous saga.

The kids watching Pokemon now have probably never seen any of Kanto, Johto, AG, or the first half of DP for example.

Detective Conan, One Piece and Naruto all have the same problem but they maintained continuity. Even older series like DBZ and Mobile Suit Gundam have kept continuity after three decades and yet pokemon can't after three years?

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Detective Conan, One Piece and Naruto all have the same problem but they maintained continuity. Even older series like DBZ and Mobile Suit Gundam have kept continuity after three decades and yet pokemon can't after three years?
Pokemon isn't based off a Manga like those are. It's designed to advertise the games to each upcoming generation. Hence they tend to repeat stuff.
Plus to be honest I don't see the big deal in the fire starters. Charizard was handled well, DP had a whole extended storyline for Infernape and Pignite wasn't really affected by his previous trainer barring the episodes he was in.

chalkus

Pokemon isn't based off a Manga like those are. It's designed to advertise the games to each upcoming generation. Hence they tend to repeat stuff.
Plus to be honest I don't see the big deal in the fire starters. Charizard was handled well, DP had a whole extended storyline for Infernape and Pignite wasn't really affected by his previous trainer barring the episodes he was in.

Mobile Suit Gundam is not based on a manga and its most recent series to wrap up, Gundam Unicorn, made references to events in the original series that debuted 35 years ago. Yet pokemon will show Ash beating a very powerful electric trainer like Volkner today and a year from now will show him being totally clueless facing a weaker trainer in Nimbasa.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Mobile Suit Gundam is not based on a manga and its most recent series to wrap up, Gundam Unicorn, made references to events in the original series that debuted 35 years ago. Yet pokemon will show Ash beating a very powerful electric trainer like Volkner today and a year from now will show him being totally clueless facing a weaker trainer in Nimbasa.
Like I said the anime is designed to market the games. And most people are in consensus that the reset in Unova sucked, and that battle was a travesty. And it seems the writers have realized that.

fenniken

fire master
I know whos next Litleo for ash mudkip for Slurna Elestrike for clemobt Likely

fitzy909

Just another guy
I just want to know why it is always the fire type? I don't mind this idea, as there would be people like this, but it doesn't need to be the fire type. Any ideas people?