• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash going back to Kanto? Can this hint at Kanto in USUM?

Red

Not the color
We know Lillie is in Kanto in the games. With Ash traveling back to Kanto and meeting with Misty & Brock could this mean we could have the option of traveling to Kanto in these games? I know it’s a stretch but I think it’s a great way of having a second region and a quest after the main series.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Well there have been quite many hints that do suggest Kanto as a possibility, with Lillie going to Kanto, Ryuki being in a place that resembles Lt Surge gym, and now with the anime. However, I think these are just hints and Easter eggs for us older fans to spot, and I personally don't think Kanto will actually be an exploreable region in USM.

Red

Not the color
Well there have been quite many hints that do suggest Kanto as a possibility, with Lillie going to Kanto, Ryuki being in a place that resembles Lt Surge gym, and now with the anime. However, I think these are just hints and Easter eggs for us older fans to spot, and I personally don't think Kanto will actually be an exploreable region in USM.

I forgot about Ryuki and the electrical traps resembling Surge’s gym. Too much of this is adding up, but maybe I’m being too hopeful.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Personally I'd love it if it was the case, but for me it really falls in the "Too good to be true" category. I just can't really believe that they could pull off another region in addition to Alola in the same 3DS game in such a short time. Maybe a few of the Sevii islands if we're lucky, but definitely not the entirety of Kanto.

Red

Not the color
Personally I'd love it if it was the case, but for me it really falls in the "Too good to be true" category. I just can't really believe that they could pull off another region in addition to Alola in the same 3DS game in such a short time. Maybe a few of the Sevii islands if we're lucky, but definitely not the entirety of Kanto.

Alola is already done they just had to modify it. I believe they could’ve been working on a Kanto region “3DS style” for years.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I don't think so, and I personally would find few things worse than going back to Kanto in USUM.

Ultra Beast Lover

I liked Kanto but the 3ds was having trouble with just Alola, to add Kanto might push the system past its limit. Some people from Kanto might just cameo.

04n70n10

I liked Kanto but the 3ds was having trouble with just Alola, to add Kanto might push the system past its limit. Some people from Kanto might just cameo.

The problem is to have too high-poly models at the same time.

Routes, (part of) cities, various areas, ect in all pokémon games are loaded separately. Really, from what i know there is no problem in theory to add more land, it's just (more or less) a matter of game card size (Game cards for the Nintendo 3DS are from 1 to 8 gigabytes in size).

However It would take a lot of time and work, design of all routes, NPCs, cities, create models, etc. etc.

So we'll have kanto back? No, i don't think anyway.

Last edited:

Hoennking

sun and moon was 3.2 gb out of 4 gb. there is no room to add an entire 2nd region. i think some old characters will be in battle tree thats all

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Unlikely. The main reason for why they are doing this seems to be so they can showcase the differences between Alola Forms and Regular Forms.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I said this in the general speculation thread, so I'll also say it here. It's still the show's 20th anniversary, so Ash going back to Kanto and reuniting with the original cast is not unexpected in any way. Maybe, in a vacuum, this could indicate something, but that would only be if the show had no reason to do this. But as it does have a reason, and a very good one at that, there's just no reason to speculate the return of Kanto to the games without any actual evidence.

God I hope not. I've seen Kanto so much that if we got a third game where we can return there I might just punch a wall. I'm tired of Kanto, period.

Orphalesion

I don't wanna go back to Kanto either, it's a boring, barren place, especially so in games where it appears as the second region (remember how stripped down it was in GS/HGSS?)

And really, Kanto 20 years later....why? Just so to run through the same old places again? To fight the same Gym leaders again? Especially with the Gym leaders...20 years have passed, either you run into a situation were most of them have moved on with their lives (which would disgruntle a good junk of the people who wanted to go back to Kanto and see those characters again [for whatever reason]) or have a 40 year old Erica, a 60 year old Lt. Surge etc. still doing the same thing they have done since Red and Blue.

Really...what for?

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Just curious, but why would you loathe going back to Kanto so much?

It's not really so much specifically Kanto as it is that I can't stand it when something gets so much glorification when I really feel it's not worth what it gets. I feel this way about anything that the franchise (or its fanbase) puts on such a high pedestal.

I don't wanna go back to Kanto either, it's a boring, barren place, especially so in games where it appears as the second region (remember how stripped down it was in GS/HGSS?)

You said it for me. I actually attempted to play Pokemon Red a few months ago when I bought the virtual consol release, and I got bored halfway through and gave up because the region just felt lifeless. Likewise in HGSS, I played through the whole Johto plot, but then when I reached Kanto I tried to do the remaining quests, but I just couldn't get into it. Kanto is just so generic.

And really, Kanto 20 years later....why? Just so to run through the same old places again? To fight the same Gym leaders again? Especially with the Gym leaders...20 years have passed, either you run into a situation were most of them have moved on with their lives (which would disgruntle a good junk of the people who wanted to go back to Kanto and see those characters again [for whatever reason]) or have a 40 year old Erica, a 60 year old Lt. Surge etc. still doing the same thing they have done since Red and Blue.

Really...what for?

I think it'd actually be 10-11 years later, but your point still stands. If red aged but nobody else in Kanto did then it'd be weird. Sure, most of the characters in the battle tree in SM didn't really show any signs of aging beyond Red, Blue and possibly Grimsley, but we're talking the whole region here. Youngsters, bug catchers, lasses, all of them would have to be aged up to adults, plus the younger gym leaders such as Janine. Gyms would change, older gym leaders like Blaine would have retired, so much would have changed that it wouldn't look like the Kanto everyone knows at all. Sure, regions have changed in games like HGSS and B2W2, but that was only over the course of a couple of years. A whole decade is a lot longer than you'd think.

It's not really so much specifically Kanto as it is that I can't stand it when something gets so much glorification when I really feel it's not worth what it gets. I feel this way about anything that the franchise (or its fanbase) puts on such a high pedestal.

*cough* Misty and Brock *cough*

Akashin

Really...what for?

Boring and barren are subjective (I personally can't tell how they're intrinsically any different than any other Region in that regard, though I could be looking at it the wrong way), and something they could easily do something about.

As for the rest of it (barring the effects that time might have had on Kanto; where you see that as a problem, I see that as one of if not the only real appeal of the idea), the same could be said of why people might want remakes. Kanto as a Region is no more fresh on peoples' minds than Sinnoh is; the only difference is that to date one has already appeared significantly more than the other.

With all that said, I'm very firmly of the idea that this is all an anime thing and not even remotely something that will have any future bearing on USUM. But I'm not adverse to it, in theory.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Really...what for?

To be fair, if Kanto were to come back today, there's no way it wouldn't be massively overhauled. Just the redesign to use it in a 3D game would require a lot of changes and fleshing out of areas. Just that alone would probably lessen how barren it is. And just having these changes alone would drum up interest in seeing how things have changed, and how others stayed the same. Knato may not be the most well-designed region, and it may be the most used, but it's also the region with the largest blank slate to be overhauled.

I still don't think it's happening, but that's not to say I wouldn't love it to happen.