• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash going back to Kanto? Can this hint at Kanto in USUM?

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
I would say it's definitely say its possible. While I strongly dislike the Gen. 2 games specifically HGSS, I always thought the idea lf being able to travelling two regions was interesting. Of course I would love it if we got a second region but I honestly just cannot see it happening.

Leonhart

Imagineer
We know Lillie is in Kanto in the games. With Ash traveling back to Kanto and meeting with Misty & Brock could this mean we could have the option of traveling to Kanto in these games? I know it’s a stretch but I think it’s a great way of having a second region and a quest after the main series.

I find it hard to believe that games which have already been established as being set in Alola would allow us to visit Kanto. The Kasumi and Takeshi episodes seem like a 20th anniversary treat for anime fans to me, not necessarily an indication of what we'll experience in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Aetius

Ash going back to Ksnto in the anime doesn't mean anything IMHO.
And I'm sure that the gym-like building resembling Lt. Surge's gym will probably be part of a new facility or something like that.
I've already said this many times, but the only way I'd like to go back to Kanto, would be through Lillie as a playable character or, more likely, a new character with whom we'll meet her during our journey.

Bariokie

rock dog
Pretty sure we will go back to Kanto with the next switch game. It'll be the first maingame Switch game for pokemon and will be one of the games like botw, mario(kart), and smash that Nintendo publishes in bundles with the Switch to sell the consoles.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Pretty sure we will go back to Kanto with the next switch game. It'll be the first maingame Switch game for pokemon and will be one of the games like botw, mario(kart), and smash that Nintendo publishes in bundles with the Switch to sell the consoles.

I'm not so sure of that. If the first mainline pokémon game on the Switch is the first gen 8 game I doubt they'd go as far as to also add Kanto in there. I'd say stick with the new region and flesh that out immensely, make it bigger than any region before or something if the development time and the console allow it. I'd go with adding stuff to the new region over adding Kanto in there.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu

Or they can just proceed to make next Gen's games as the first ones for Switch just like with any other console.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Oh and there's also no way I'm going back to HM slaves, so something needs to be changed there as well...
Am I the only person who never had any sort of problem with HMs at all? The way Poke Ride is now, it just feels competely wrong (why do I even have to use rental Pokemon in a franchise about getting to explore the world thanks to your Pokemon?) Not to mention, Surf and Waterfall are great enough to teach to team members. And in Kanto, stuff like Rock Smash has never been required to progress, Cut is only needed twice if I recall correctly, and Strength is only required at Victory Road since you can skip Seafoam Islands. If they absolutely need to bring Ride Pokemon back, they should make it more similiar to Soaring (i.e. with the Pokemon you actually own), and I'd also like any Pokemon that is large enough to carry the player character to be usable, not just a select few. I still greatly prefer it to stay a region-exclusive thing, though.

Ghost94

Am I the only person who never had any sort of problem with HMs at all? The way Poke Ride is now, it just feels competely wrong (why do I even have to use rental Pokemon in a franchise about getting to explore the world thanks to your Pokemon?) Not to mention, Surf and Waterfall are great enough to teach to team members. And in Kanto, stuff like Rock Smash has never been required to progress, Cut is only needed twice if I recall correctly, and Strength is only required at Victory Road since you can skip Seafoam Islands. If they absolutely need to bring Ride Pokemon back, they should make it more similiar to Soaring (i.e. with the Pokemon you actually own), and I'd also like any Pokemon that is large enough to carry the player character to be usable, not just a select few. I still greatly prefer it to stay a region-exclusive thing, though.
The idea of an HM slave sucked, you either had to teach your party members HMs or swap one out for that plague of a slave, wasting a spot in the party and you just can't wait to get them out so you can use your Umbreon again. That said I agree with you on the pokeride, oh let's fly on a charizard when I hate him and would never put him onto my team oh and wait a second while I strap on my helmet before flight because you know, safety first. But that all said, it won't be until at least the games on the switch that we have a game console powerful enough to have animations for all 802+ Pokemon outside of battle to use auto HM moves without a need of changing their move sets. My Gengar should be able to use Flash at will to light up a cave with no expense to his moveset

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

No you're not. I agree entirely on pretty much every point you made. I think people always over-exaggerate how bad HMs were. I was especially upset by the removal of HMs, because they were a great indicator of the theme of the franchise, working side-by-side with your Pokémon to overcome the obstacles in your way. To embellish a bit, using other people's Pokémon to do this felt almost perverse, in a way.

The idea of an HM slave sucked, you either had to teach your party members HMs or swap one out for that plague of a slave, wasting a spot in the party and you just can't wait to get them out so you can use your Umbreon again.

Except nothing or no one ever mandated that you use HM slaves. I played Pokémon for 12 years, and never once used an HM slave. It's your own choice to sacrifice a slot on your team.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I personally feel BW and BW2 handled HMs the best. They were still HMs no doubt, but you actually didn't need to have any of these HMs in your party to progress through the main story. They were only needed for optional areas and to find items. I'd like a return to that style. I agree about the criticism of Poke Ride, and would like HMs to return, but only if it's like BW.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I hated them in Sinnoh, where you need so much HMs just to get around that you basically need 2 HM slaves, and in Hoenn where you need 3 different water HMs. Besides, it's always a needless constriction to always have to have a water type with you for Surfing, or having to swap them out so often. I really prefer the Pokéride where I can just swap my teams the way I want to without always being forced to have something that can learn Cut or Surf or something with me, because the truth is that most pokémon don't learn these moves or would prefer to run something else. Why should I waste a moveslot on something like Rhydon for a Surf I'm never going to use, or be forced to have a water type with me to cross 3 tiles of water? The entire ordeal of not being able to easily get rid of them only makes them further annoying. I really don't miss them at all and I really hope that they stay gone forever. Even in Unova you still needed Surf and Waterfall quite a bit just to visit places like the Abandoned Shrine.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think Ash going back to Kanto is just a call back to the first season and a way to reminisce about the original group. If Kanto were to return in USUM then I doubt that two episodes would be enough to hint it. Think about it for a minute. The return to Kanto in FRLG was hinted at first with May catching Bulbasaur and then having the Battle Frontier arc set in Kanto as a gap season until DP came out. Then we got a small story arc for Johto during Sinnoh which was more than four episodes I believe. The episodes showcased quite a bit of what to expect in HGSS including the Poké-Atholon and the female protagonist.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector

The idea of an HM slave sucked, you either had to teach your party members HMs or swap one out for that plague of a slave, wasting a spot in the party and you just can't wait to get them out so you can use your Umbreon again. That said I agree with you on the pokeride, oh let's fly on a charizard when I hate him and would never put him onto my team oh and wait a second while I strap on my helmet before flight because you know, safety first. But that all said, it won't be until at least the games on the switch that we have a game console powerful enough to have animations for all 802+ Pokemon outside of battle to use auto HM moves without a need of changing their move sets. My Gengar should be able to use Flash at will to light up a cave with no expense to his moveset

I'd like post-Alola games to handle HMs like I originally thought for the end of HMs: Every pokemon has the ability to learn 4 attacks and 2 field moves. Field moves would be taught by HMs and attacks are learned through TMs, tutors, leveling, and breeding. Field moves are used outside of battle and attacks are used in battle. My Blastoise could have Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse and Aqua Jet for battling, but still able to carry me over the water and up waterfalls out of battle. No more HM slaves mucking up the team or pokemon sacrificing move slots for HM moves, and no rental pokemon or Ride Pager. They don't even have to take away Surf or Waterfall. They could remain attacks and just name the field moves something else. They could also give us back a lot of the effects of field moves we no longer have like headbutt, sweet scent, and Secret Power.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'd like post-Alola games to handle HMs like I originally thought for the end of HMs: Every pokemon has the ability to learn 4 attacks and 2 field moves. Field moves would be taught by HMs and attacks are learned through TMs, tutors, leveling, and breeding. Field moves are used outside of battle and attacks are used in battle. My Blastoise could have Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse and Aqua Jet for battling, but still able to carry me over the water and up waterfalls out of battle. No more HM slaves mucking up the team or pokemon sacrificing move slots for HM moves, and no rental pokemon or Ride Pager. They don't even have to take away Surf or Waterfall. They could remain attacks and just name the field moves something else. They could also give us back a lot of the effects of field moves we no longer have like headbutt, sweet scent, and Secret Power.

Wouldn't that still have a similar problem of forcing you to adapt your team to have something that can learn this field move in your party? I'd prefer it a lot more if you could page them in from the PC out on the field without them actually having to be in your party.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Wouldn't that still have a similar problem of forcing you to adapt your team to have something that can learn this field move in your party? I'd prefer it a lot more if you could page them in from the PC out on the field without them actually having to be in your party.

IDK, most of the HMs are pretty broadly available. I could see it being a problem occasionally, like if you were monotyping or with something like Fly that almost demands a specific type of pokemon.

I suppose keeping the Ride Pager would be a better alternative, but it needs a lot of changes. I don't like that we can't walk with the D-pad anymore and so many of the older field moves are not available in Sun/Moon. The Ride Pager should have worked like registered items in XYORAS where you hold a shoulder button to bring up the registered items and then select one with the D-pad.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
IDK, most of the HMs are pretty broadly available. I could see it being a problem occasionally, like if you were monotyping or with something like Fly that almost demands a specific type of pokemon.

I suppose keeping the Ride Pager would be a better alternative, but it needs a lot of changes. I don't like that we can't walk with the D-pad anymore and so many of the older field moves are not available in Sun/Moon. The Ride Pager should have worked like registered items in XYORAS where you hold a shoulder button to bring up the registered items and then select one with the D-pad.

I play with about 20 or so pokémon throughout the main story, and I rotate them around a lot in different compositions. Even if I've got like 3 or so different pokémon that know Surf there are still so many times where I simply don't have a Surfing pokémon with me and it's just something I forget to think about in the pokémon centre. Then you come across these three tiles of water you need to surf across and you've got to go all the way back to the pokémon centre to swap, or teach it to something like Rhydon which isn't going to ever make use of it. It's just annoying.

04n70n10

IMHO: Pokéride is really fine, HMs were really-really-really annoying, especially after 6 generations, and I played all.... In any case It's 1000% better to further improve this feature (different pokémon to choose, more options like dive with a lanturn, etc., ORAS like soaring, or even have back items like detector and bicycle) instead to have HM back (even if only as field move, etc). Farewell HM, i have no nostalgia.