• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Has Been Cursed... (1105)

Red and Blue

One thing I really found funny was how TR was like two dusclops and the rotom Pokedex was like got a problem with Giovanni? XD

It seems people were right, ash wasn't actually cursed, he just had a fever and Go overthinked

Also I find it funny how scorbunny silently judged Go when he had a pokeball on his hand

I do wonder tho about that ending. Idk but that ending implied gengar might not be very obedient to ash from the looks of it.

EDIT: Also love how sakuragi didn't give an F about a ghost, and how renji kept getting scared.
If Gengar has obedience issues it should be interesting how Ash's match with Pisces plays out(if it is the second Pokemon).

I doubt it will lose but it may act on its own at times

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
I'm happy that Ash caught Gengar. It better be his last Kanto Pokemon.

Funny that they added GMax Gengar as boosted event Raids in SwSh today. Foreshadowing? :rolleyes:
I love your joke posts. lol

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I wasn't prepared for that title card, but on the other hand it totally fits

I can't believe it took Ash longer to officially catch a ghost type than it did for him to win a league. Though I wasn't expecting Ash to be the one to catch Gengar when it first appeared, nor was I expecting the writers to pull another Damien situation on us with Gengar. On the flipside, I like that they referenced that episode with Ash wearing pyjamas with a Charmander on it.

Cradily17

This was a neat episode. Opening up with a unique title card, as mentioned by previous posters, was a unique twist. Seeing Ash team up with Gengar to take down Team Rocket was also great. Now that Ash has Gengar in addition to Dragonite, he definitely has the potential to become the new World Champion. I look forward to seeing what other mons he'll get.
How long before we start seeing Pokemon from the gacha machine in seasonal clothing?
Imagine a Gardevoir in a swimsuit.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
This was a very cliche capture episode. The only good thing about it was Gengar's cliche but touching backstory. I like this series but I'm disliking these fanfic wish fulfillment captures for Ash. 2/10 the worst episode of this series so far.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zweilous said:
Hey. Hey, guys.

Guys.

Guess what?

I called it.

I wish that we hadn't gotten another abandoned Pokemon backstory for one of Satoshi's Pokemon, though. Even though the episode's writer did a good job of making Gangar's former trainer into a jerk, he was still only a cheap imitation of Daisuke from Hitokage's capture episode.

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
I don't know how to feel about this episode. I was spoiled beforehand due to seeing an article while googling the subbed episode *why did the sub take so long to come out? -_-* so I knew Ash would catch this Gengar. I didn't really mind being spoiled to much though. So long as the episode itself was good, it wasn't a problem. ....... I mean, ...... the episode was fine, I guess. We got some backstory for Gengar that justified its capture and we got to see it battle and then it got captured and the curse was written off as Ash being sick and ...... *sigh* This episode was mundane with a side of boring and a little bit of cliche sprinkles on top. After the rollarcoaster of amazingness that was the Dragonite episode, I kinda expected "Ash Capture" episodes to have a bit more...... anything. Heck Gengar was hyped up in the previous episode so you'd figure its actual capture would be something beyond what we actually got. I really don't have much else to say about this episode in particular. It's cool that Ash finally caught a Ghost type and I'm somewhat hoping his team isn't gonna be filled with Kanto mons this gen. ........ That's it. That's all I got. I'm sad now

4 / 10

Jnmisty

Is it just me or Ash’s illness was completely under the radar the whole time until he passed out after Team Rocket blasted off again.

dman_dustin

I really wish people would understand that there isn't an infinite amount of ways to tell a story. It's all going to be the same exact thing as something else, something preceded.

And sure you could say that I'm wrong.

But if that was the case you wouldn't be focusing on the fact Gengar was abandoned, you'd focus on WHY he was abandoned if you were going to argue "but there is infinite ways to tell a story, its how you tell a story"

And the fact of the matter is we've never had a Pokemon abandoned in this manner. Most other Pokemon were abandoned because they are weak, Gengar was abandoned because some diluted nutjob thought Gengar was cursing him, so in that context this was a unique capture episode. Sure the abandoned part wasn't new, but in that type of context there wouldn't be anything new.

Ash has caught a Pokemon he just threw a Poke ball at in the style that Go does it (Caterpie)
He's battled Pokemon many times to capture them (Snivy, Pidove, Starly, Taillow, etc, etc)
He's been there for a Pokemon and they wanted to join him (Chikorita, Snorunt, etc).
He's adopted them (Charmander, Chimchar, Tepig, Gengar)
He's caught a Pokemon for its protection (Lapras)
He's caught a Pokemon to help it grow and develop (Gible; in context with Draco Meteor; although yes there was elements of saving it as well as the fact it followed him because he liked Ash).

There's not really a lot of methods to capture a Pokemon.

I legitimately don't even see what magical brand new capture method that would make any sense without trying too hard to make it sound unique when in reality its not. It's just a difference of how the capture plays out.

Take Dragonite, Ash helped Dragonair learn Dragon Dance so it could fly, which is very much like other captures, the only extra element is that it also saved Ash. Ash hasn't caught a Pokemon who saved him, so that was a new element, but we've seen it before with evolutions, Chikorita evolved to protect Ash, Gligar evolved so it could use its new found power to save Ash from falling.

But with Dragonite it was still a bonding episode where Ash helped it learn a new move or allowed it to do something (Like Rockruff) and evolved to save him (which is technically new for captures but nothing new in terms of story telling), and then Ash caught Dragonite.

So again, I don't know what people were expecting or rather what they expect out of a capture. I suppose the only archetype of captures Ash hasn't done (at least permanently) is capture a Pokemon to stop it from rampaging or to calm it down. Sure we could make an argument Buzzwole and some of the other Ultra beast, but they weren't a permanent capture. Though I suppose Palpitoad could technically apply as well, but it was more of a battle capture not quite throwing a Poke ball to stop it from attacking everything.

But I just don't know if that would truly be unique or exciting enough. Or whether they'd even think to do that.

Is it just me or Ash’s illness was completely under the radar the whole time until he passed out after Team Rocket blasted off again.

Not sure what you mean. By under the radar do you mean they didn't realize Ash was sick then technically yes.

If you mean that it just suddenly and magically appeared then no. The majority of Ash's issues IN this episode were because he was sick they just assumed incorrectly that it was because of Gengar "cursing" Ash.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Oh God, I'm finally awake. *Ahem*

The title card edit was a nice surprise. I love it when they reflect the contents of the episode. I kinda wish it was a more common occurrence. Sucks Ash caught the Volcaronavirus, though. RIP.

I loved Sakuragi's explanation on how Gengar's been haunting the place since before the show started, but I also wish we saw even a glimpse of Gengar at least once before its debut just to foreshadow it. Maybe have the lights flicker on and off, have the phone ringing, but there won't be anybody there, or have it tap on a window and open a door. Their explanation for why it didn't show up 'til now was fine though, I guess.

Still, it's a good character moment. Helps flesh Sakuragi out a bit. Renji, too. Poor guy's gonna need therapy.

Also, isn't weird how Team Rocket's Rotom Phone arguably has more personality than Ash and Gou's (no, being loud does not count as having a personality) despite having so little screentime so far?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
This was a very cliche capture episode. The only good thing about it was Gengar's cliche but touching backstory. I like this series but I'm disliking these fanfic wish fulfillment captures for Ash. 2/10 the worst episode of this series so far.

The concepts of Ash-Greninja and Dusk Lycanroc felt like fanfic style writing if we're being technical here, don't even get me started on Naganadel's out of nowhere return either.

So what exactly is Ash supposed to capture then? I will agree that if he captures more kanto region based pokemon (bar eevee or a regional variant) i'll be annoyed but at the same time i'll deal with it.

I for one am enjoying the breaking of the "mold" this show's been in for the past few series, because it shows you don't know what to expect.

Then again you've been very vocal of disliking Ash and just about anything he does (kind of makes me wonder what you will do if Ash does get Riolu), and while I don't like the guy either, until he leaves or takes a backseat role, we have to deal with him as a main character so in that sense I want him to succeed if it increases his chances of finally leaving or becoming a mentor to a new trainer.

Besides Ash finally won a league, and the way this series is structured, and if he wants to fight strong level trainers he's going to need tough pokemon to get the job done, he can't keep doing what he's been doing for the past series and relying on nothing but fresh newbs.

I do wish he'd break out his reserves already but for the time being i'm content with him using what he's got, because it's still early.

You know I've noticed some people wondering about gengar's height, 4'11 isn't very small.

Then again Charizard is supposed to be 5'07 and Ash's definitely seems bigger too so...

Noy

Funny that they added GMax Gengar as boosted event Raids in SwSh today. Foreshadowing? :rolleyes:
I'm happy that Ash caught Gengar. It better be his last Kanto Pokemon.

I love your joke posts. lol
the thing though is, is it really just a joke? Wouldn't the writers intentionally avoid gengar dynamaxing for the longest time, only to have an episode where it's needed and BAM, it's actually a GMAX.