• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Heads Into Battle! VS Steven!! (1207)

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Sirfetch'd
Dragonite
Lucario/ Mega Lucario

Gigamantax Pikachu might be saved for Leon if Ash wins.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
you know one thing i'm am confused about is, if they were willing to show Paul and Reggie again, why not Sawyer as well?

He's supposed to be from hoenn, and not kalos.

I can understand Ash's companions being "saved" (and if they showed her rivals, May had better cameo in the future, even if it's a non speaking role) for later, but I felt like he should've been seen here at least since he is a hoenn native even if he is in Kalos right now.

Also, I don't want to get in trouble for asking this, but the fact even bulbapedia has it mentioned... and i've seen several people on youtube mentioning it....the first part anyway...

I find this kind of dumb if it's true, but i'd like for someone to confirm that part.

@Dephender what do you think? Sorry for bugging you.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
LOL At May’s rivals appearing but not her, i hope she gets a cameo i mean just because she can’t talk any more doesn’t mean they can’t draw her.

So much for Ash and Alan’s interactions, what was the point in bringing him back again?
It’s clear imo that they r saving the companions for silence cameo to see them watching Ash battle against Cynthia or that arrogant disgusting Leon

Sham

The Guardian of War
FYQ4JMQWYAAR_bK

Finally kinda got a moment between them. Hopefully they discussed all about how Charizard is a Dragon Type.

Was it confirmed they left in general or a break is happening in the tournament?

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
This battle was on the level of Diantha vs. Lance. Strategies thrown around all well. Loved Dracovish getting shafted in favor of Gengar and Pikachu :p. It did at least damage Steven's Metagross but thank goodness it didn't go any further, that thing deserved a proper loss since forever

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
FYQ4JMQWYAAR_bK

Finally kinda got a moment between them. Hopefully they discussed all about how Charizard is a Dragon Type.

Was it confirmed they left in general or a break is happening in the tournament?
Don't think they confirmed anything but it seems they're leaving, like Lance did beforehand (Lance even said his battles ended after Diantha beat him)

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Sooo, let me get this straight. An Electivire that has type resistance and even a freakin' ability to absorb electricity gets short-circuited by 1,000m Volt, but a Mega Metagross can survive that barely despite getting some damage prior?

Classy writing there.
Volkner ending was pretty terrible but a champion's ace will run through Volkner's electrivire 100 times easily. Much less a mega evo with boosted defense.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Sooo, let me get this straight. An Electivire that has type resistance and even a freakin' ability to absorb electricity gets short-circuited by 1,000m Volt, but a Mega Metagross can survive that barely despite getting some damage prior?

Classy writing there.
To be fair, M-Metagross tanked MC-X’ Blast Burn in the specials. If anything, it having problems against Dracovish and going down so quickly is the problem continuity wise.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Also sorry but the last battle ate this. Not even necessarily in the battle itself but just the music tracks and overall tension. Why did it feel like the person in charge of sound took a lunch break? The second battle was also better in terms of tension. You’d honestly think this battle was just as unplanned.

Overall Ash did use some pretty great strategies though along with Steven

There were a good chunck of silence here. The anime’s main theme playing when Metagross got taken down was nice though.
Yeeeah they dropped the ball hard music wise. Ruined the tension.

Also Good thing Genger didn't dynamax here.

Wallace: Yes that’s how it feels!
Shocked we didn’t see him… wonder why…

AuraKshatriya

For anyone wondering, the movesets for Steven's team were:

Aggron: Heavy Slam, Rock Wrecker, Smart Strike
Cradily: Power Whip, Ingrain, Meteor Beam, Rock Blast
Metagross: Agility, Psychic, Meteor Mash, Flash Cannon (Same as in XYZ, but with Agility instead of Protect - which seems useless since it automatically gains that level of speed after Mega Evolution anyway. I suppose it's to help Metagross fight the same way in its base form.)

This episode cemented that Steven definitely deserved his ranking - his Aggron had ridiculous power and had to be disabled with Will-O-Wisp to make a big deal of Gengar's training and even then kept fighting through quite a bit of burn damage. Steven even said, " A Fire-type move...." in response, to make it seem like a big deal. But given he intended to go all the way and beat Leon, there's no way he didn't have a countermeasure against Fire-types - maybe it's just because he didn't expect Gengar to have one.

Cradily had amazing recovery and defense, plus binding, and against any opponent without a move they can release as an AOE without moving it would probably be impossible to KO. The Pikachu strategy was good, but it's hard to believe a single Iron Tail would've done the job. It might had had the most well-written moveset in the tournament, too. Power Whip lets it bind mobile Pokemon, and it can use Ingrain to recover even if they can somehow still fight back. Ingrain prevents switching anyway, so it also has Meteor Beam, which would also prevent switching while charging - Power Whip helps ensure Meteor Beam lands too. Rock Blast for emergency ranged offense. I'm actually shocked at how impressively they had a Cradily battle.

Metagross was too fast to hit at all and hit like a truck, plus had enough endurance to take 10 million volts and keep going. Again, it makes little sense a single Iron Tail would've been enough here. Having the music and audience reactions make Cradily seem really horrifying was also great since Fossil Pokemon are often like that and Cradily usually gets the short end of the stick compared to others. Still, he almost pulled a Leon and had Ash down to just Pikachu with two remaining.

Misake Iwaane posted a GIF to twitter of how he imagined the fight could go, with Pikachu trying to chase down Metagross with Volt Tackle if it still had it. The animation in it that he did on his own time actually surpassed anything seen in the battle, which is disappointing.
The pacing also felt poor since it seemed to be the reason Steven's Pokemon went down with hits that shouldn't have been enough.
If they just gave these battles two episodes it would've made it clear how hard it was to KO his Pokemon. Having 10 Million Volt Thunderbolt cut from Ash charging up Pikachu straight to Metagross dodging the beams was also a bit jarring - on one hand seeing Pikachu jump into the air can get repetitive and maybe they wanted to make it seem like it came out quick enough to have a shot at hitting Metagross, but then they should've just given Pikachu a new animation. They didn't even have the Z-Move name flash across the screen, which is customary of all of them. Really can't excuse the lacklustre animation in these battles given the amount of hype and foreshadowing they're meant to payoff, and when battles in Alola and Kalos so totally outclassed them on that front. It might be a meme at this point but it's unfortunately got some weight to it.

The cameos were also solid and having Ash directly reference Paul's training was great. Steven was also fired up at the start, saying being the strongest in Hoenn isn't enough and he can aim to truly be the strongest through the Pokemon World Championships. It even surprised Diantha, who said "This is the first time I've seen him so fired up..." Having the other Champions react to Mega Metagross was great (Diantha commenting on how hard it was to face, Cynthia saying Ash would be in for a very difficult battle against it), and so was their reaction to the Z-Move (even moreso because Steven wasn't phased until it did something it never did before and actually automatically redirected to target Mega Metagross). Also really liked a lot of Steven's lines in general, like "Whether we laugh or cry, this is the last battle!". He felt a lot fresher than a lot of the others who retreated into their stock personas.

Oh, and at the end, Steven was talking about how Cynthia would be Ash's next opponent, but that he believed in Ash and his Pokemon to find a way around her. Alain said, "Win, Ash" and Iris left with her signature "Best wishes!" Seems to sort of imply Alain and Steven still work together a bit but hopefully all of them will be back to watch the semifinals. It's also cool that even after seeing Cynthia VS Iris, Steven still felt Ash could beat her. Not sure what that says how what Steven felt his odds would be - at the very least I imagine he sees her as an equal. It was nice seeing him and Iris together too - still, Iris interacting with Lance was missed out on and she didn't talk to Steven or Alain. But knowing they all get along well is nice, and having them - including Steven specifically - cheering for Ash, even when there are other Champions present with ties to them really does feel like he's earned their respect and support in ways the others haven't.

Last edited: