• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Heads Into Battle! VS Steven!! (1207)

Sham

The Guardian of War
So was iris. Plus he saw ash defeating raihan. that is not someone who is rookie can do.
Yea I think he meant he’s the most recent Champion but either way he still could defeat Raihan. “Rookie” as in being a new Champion. As far as Iris, it’s not explained when she became Champion so it could have been XY or SM plus he’s not really invested in her.

Either way the line wasn’t needed

— pretty interesting

Last edited:

SkyBlaze9125

Crack theory: The reason why their a break before the semifinal is so that Leon can switch up his Charizard’s move sets.

Pretty sure when we see Charizard again.. it will probably know Brick Break and Shadow Claw

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Crack theory: The reason why their a break before the semifinal is so that Leon can switch up his Charizard’s move sets.

Pretty sure when we see Charizard again.. it will probably know Brick Break and Shadow Claw
Pretty sure a break wasn't needed for that reason.

DatsRight

Leon has to train so his Gigantamax Charizard can dodge 10MV, obviously
Really, a key champion actually directly preparing for Ash's strategies would be a cool touch, a change from them usually just being static obstacles for him to face. It would actually make it creditable if Leon won in the end.

Trillion

the good:
  • as someone who started following the anime in real-time [vs just watching reruns] during AG, seeing those cameos was a treat. drew, harley, katie, tyson, morrison, the grumpig coordinator, kain from the spinda filler- like what? lol. they went all out and i loved it
  • the coordinator who debuted in the episode where pikachu learned iron tail [which ironically was the finishing move] is also here
  • ash's callback to the training with paul
  • the overhead shot of the pokemon at oak's lab [they should have actually participated but i digress]
  • CRADILY. cradily is my #1 favorite fossil pokemon and one of my favorite pokemon in general. it was easily the star of this battle
  • pikachu vs cradily is what i expect from masters 8. electroweb binding power whip and then pikachu running down the power whip was everything
  • pikachu vs metagross- specifically when the z-move came into play. i liked how they showed how it was undodgeable. the shot of pikachu going for the iron tail against the helpless metagross also looked very cool
the bad
  • dracovish and aggron sucked. they went down way too quickly. gengar was meh. pikachu vs metagross sucked until the z-move
  • like many have said. for the most part, these battles are so STATIC most of the time. like- a battle with a baby pokemon like surskit should not be more exciting than a battle between a dracovish and an aggron
  • ash taking 50 years to think to use dazzling gleam while gengar is trapped by cradily's vines
  • i will never like the fact that the reserves haven't gotten to participate in the PWC
  • iris leaving

my ranking of the battles so far:
1) diantha vs lance
2) cynthia vs iris
3) ash vs steven
4) leon vs alan

and there is a large gap between 2 and 3. the main thing that disappoints me is that they PLANNED this battle. the other three apparently weren't going to originally be shown in full, but this one was always going to be- and this was the result. it just doesn't feel champion-level. and i know they still CAN make good battles because ash vs volkner was spectacular. and even the two battles literally right before this one were pretty good

Trillion

Imagine if they somehow got the Pokemon he released, bonded with, or are with other people (Squirtle, Primeape, Butterfree, Pidgeot, Lapras, Larviatar, Goodra, Greninja, Nebby, and Naganadel) to watch his final match with Leon.
that'd be awesome

honestly squirtle, primeape, and goodra are all very possible. they're with humans so they have tv access

i could see tapu koko watching too. it's aware that ash is participating and kukui can easily find it and bring it over to watch

that'd be awesome

honestly squirtle, primeape, and goodra are all very possible. they're with humans so they have tv access

i could see tapu koko watching too. it's aware that ash is participating and kukui can easily find it and bring it over to watch
Don’t forget Ambipom!
She should have appeared this series man. She appeared in a flashback in JN114 so at least she isn’t forgotten.

Illusio

No words, only rage
For Ash's first Master's 8 match, it was good, but not great. There were some nice moments, but a lot of it did get bogged down by some bleh fights

Firstly, Dracovish and Aggron were bad. Dracovish only did one thing and then got headbutt, and Aggron fainted to a burn. Was a terrible way to start the match since it felt like they rushed through them. Cradily was a star, everything they did in both of its fights were smart and fun and was one of the standouts of the entire first round. I don't know who thought to use a forgotten mon in such a way, but they should get a raise. Metagross was underwhelming, it felt like one side was overpowering the other the whole rather then a tense match like Cradily's. It made the match end on a weaker note then it should've.

In the end, I rate it third after Diantha vs. Lance and Iris vs. Cynthia. Cradily carried the entire match and is Top 3 mon in the whole first round, but the others had more I liked about them. Far better then Alain vs. Lance, which was just bad aside from Chesnaught.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
FYRd4jwWYAAPCoi

Goh: So that's what the web think about us?
Iris: Why are they calling me a bully?

======================

For a battling episode, it was passable. for the typical "Ash's first major match in a league" episode, it was decent.

As Ash's first contest against a proper game champion? Absolutely underwhelming.

The issues with this tournament have been glaring before this even started, with Ash's match against Raihan but this one kind of dissapointed me. It improved a bit with Pikachu vs Cradily since we get Ash using his unorthodox tatics but then it became underwhelming again. Honestly, a part of me would rather they follow the original idea Tomioka had mentioned and only showed Ash's matches because we could have gotten something better. Or not. Who knows? But then, the other matches had some interesting content...

It's hilarious how Diantha vs Lance is pratically the only good match in this block. And even that one wasn't completly devoid of issues (it was decent though)

Kind of dissapointed how they've handled Alain specially after how well they did that with Paul, to the point of even being remembered today. It's starting to sound like playing favorites even if DP and XY all had Tomioka in the helm lol

Ash vs Cynthia sounds very exciting but with how everything's been handled so far, I'm expecting to be underwhelmed again. Oh, well, I've started this thing already so might as well see it until the very end, I guess?