• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash is kind of a douchebag...

So I just finished the B/W anime, rewatching it for the first time since the episodes aired a long time ago. I know that for marketing reasons, he has to go to a new region and catch new pokemons, but I'm just gonna base this of Ash as a character.

The whole D/P Sinnoh journey was him reinforcing all the time to Paul how important the bond between trainer and pokemon is. Fair enough, I like him for that, I do agree but I find it incredibly rude and dumb that he goes from region to region, catches a lot of pokemons and then just leave them behind at Oak's lab in a completely different region and environment than his pokemons are used to and then he takes off to a new region, not even feeling bad for leaving a majority of his pokemons behind for no reason after he's catching them with the intent on "becoming strong together".

I just finished watching the last episode of the B/W anime and I expected my poor boy Oshawott (he stole my heart) to be dramatically crying and whining about Ash leaving, something similar to when he said goodbye to Meloetta because Oshawott was dependent on Ash as a trainer, and just wanted to please him. However, Ash basically lets them out of their pokeballs, thanks them for their effort, and said that their journey had made them all stronger together. He even says that as long as they're all together, they can't lose. Then he shares his dreams on becoming a pokemon master and his Unova pokemons mutually agree as if they're going to achieve this dream together, however, then he apparently tells only Pikachu that they're off to a new region in front of all his pokemons and later that episode runs off without a proper goodbye? I'd expect him to somehow explain to Oshawott why he was left behind because the Oshawott we got to learn in the anime would never just let Ash go (unless there was something romantic in the picture like that other Oshawott).

I find it so dumb. I mean, I'm ignoring the reasons why the showrunners are leaving everyone except Pikachu behind, but it's still something that annoys me as his Unova team still had a lot of potential to grow stronger together, but apparently, Ash is done with them and leaves them all behind without saying goodbye. I remember poor Aipom follow Ash to the Sinnoh region because she didn't want to be left alone behind, something I'd imagine should apply for more of his pokemons, and then he traded her away.

Yes, it bothers me and I don't know if I should start watching X/Y...

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
XY is good and worthy the watch IMHO

The way I see is that Ash likes to experience stuff. Leaving the old team and starting all new is him challenging himself to adaptate and try different things. Keep in mind the Unova team only had their chance because the Sinnoh team was left out. So in a way, it's a also a challenge for the reserves since they'll be now training with their seniors and adjusting to the enviroment provided by Oak's lab. So it's not like they won't get stronger even if they are apart Ash. Buizel can teach a few tricks to Oshawott, for example.

I feel that the reason why Ash doesn't use reserves on leagues anymore is that he feels it'd be unfair with the current team. Like they had to work so hard the whole region to get those darned badges but when it's an important league match, they are just left out and sidelined by big guns like Charizard and Sceptile. That view of mine is kind of backed by scenes like Ash asking Goodra to help him with the league. He brings up he could use one of the reserves but say he wants to battle with it. After all, Goodra was the one who won him the 5th badge.

So I don't think he's a jerk as much as he putting himself in a corner to challenge himself to improve his training techniques. Also, inconsistent writting with the staff sidelining reserves for who knows what reason

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Ash's reasoning for dumping his Pokemon at Oak's corral has always pissed me off because whenever he catches a new Pokemon he acts like he's made a new friend but then at the end of most sagas he leaves his Pokemon minus Pikachu with an old man that they've never met before and hardly visits them again...

The way I see is that Ash likes to experience stuff. Leaving the old team and starting all new is him challenging himself to adaptate and try different things.

Fair enough that he wants to experience new things, but it's doesn't justify (in my eyes) his actions of leaving his pokemons behind when he's all about the "strong bond between trainer and pokemon" and making it sound like the pokemons and new friends he makes will be with him forever, which isn't the case at all.

I mean, this is what it comes across as in the anime, it is my little sister who's watched the show regularly with me since we were kids who steadily whined about Ash being a jerk for doing this, and she's just a regular viewer of the show.

BabaVanga

That's one of my biggest problems with this anime tbh. I fail to understand why they act like they have to use Ash to showcase new generation Pokémon. It would make much more sense if he carried his old team with himself and get 1 (max 2) new captures every region while companions would showcase new Pokémon. This way Ash's progress would look more believeable because his Pokémon would had enough experience to match the big guns of the new regions. Instead they shove all new Pokémon on Ash while companions often get mons from other generation (May's team makes me wanna cry). Where's logic in all this?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It's not as much leaving everyone behind but giving "the soldiers" their well-deserved rest after a long "war". The reserves knows they should make way for new teammates to join and grow just like they had their chance.

The main issue here is how reserves had been sidelined since after DP (or BW if we count Charizard's return)

Leonhart

Imagineer
BabaVanga said:
It would make much more sense if he carried his old team with himself and get 1 (max 2) new captures every region while companions would showcase new Pokémon.

That would only work if his companions were to receive more screen-time than him so they could showcase the newer Pokemon with more frequency, but that'll never happen since Satoshi is the main character and therefore the one who gets to showcase Pokemon the most. So I understand why they always give him new Pokemon to promote.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
That's one of my biggest problems with this anime tbh. I fail to understand why they act like they have to use Ash to showcase new generation Pokémon. It would make much more sense if he carried his old team with himself and get 1 (max 2) new captures every region while companions would showcase new Pokémon. This way Ash's progress would look more believeable because his Pokémon would had enough experience to match the big guns of the new regions. Instead they shove all new Pokémon on Ash while companions often get mons from other generation (May's team makes me wanna cry). Where's logic in all this?

Yeah and that's why i prefered the way his kanto pokemon except bulbasaur (who stayed little longer) were making way for johto pokemon to come granted it was in OS still it was another region and he carried his old pokemon with him and was replacing one at a time instead of just dumping everyone at the same time.

Leonhart

Imagineer
ash&charizardfan said:
Yeah and that's why i prefered the way his kanto pokemon except bulbasaur (who stayed little longer) were making way for johto pokemon to come granted it was in OS still it was another region and he carried his old pokemon with him and was replacing one at a time instead of just dumping everyone at the same time.

As harmless as Fushigidane was in terms of him managing to not overshadow the Gen II Pokemon that Satoshi had at the time, I still thought that his presence wasn't needed, and I was relieved when Satoshi finally sent him to Okido-hakase's lab after the sixth Gym. Heracross deserved Fushigidane's spot in the first half of Jouto at the very least.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
As harmless as Fushigidane was in terms of him managing to not overshadow the Gen II Pokemon that Satoshi had at the time, I still thought that his presence wasn't needed, and I was relieved when Satoshi finally sent him to Okido-hakase's lab after the sixth Gym. Heracross deserved Fushigidane's spot in the first half of Jouto at the very least.

Doesn't matter because in the end he was always going to leave Heracross and the other Johto Pokemon at the lab. I can't even remember if he gave 'em all a proper send off.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
Doesn't matter because in the end he was always going to leave Heracross and the other Johto Pokemon at the lab. I can't even remember if he gave 'em all a proper send off.

It would've at least made Heracross more integral throughout Satoshi's Jouto journey, and it would've come in handy at Akane's Gym in particular. I don't necessarily have anything against Satoshi leaving his Pokemon with Okido-hakase: it's just the natural order of things, and it's better than Satoshi simply releasing all his spare Pokemon.

Applecorp

I find it so dumb. I mean, I'm ignoring the reasons why the showrunners are leaving everyone except Pikachu behind, but it's still something that annoys me as his Unova team still had a lot of potential to grow stronger together, but apparently, Ash is done with them and leaves them all behind without saying goodbye. I remember poor Aipom follow Ash to the Sinnoh region because she didn't want to be left alone behind, something I'd imagine should apply for more of his pokemons, and then he traded her away.

The Aipom thing might've seemed sweet on her part because it was supposed to show how much she cared about him but let's be honest, the only reason why that happened was because the writers were setting up her evolution. So there was a deeper meaning behind her gesture.

But yes I think Ash's way of leaving his Pokemon behind is problematic. It's like abandoning a pet.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I only have one word to say.

Marketing!
I wonder if upgrading the number of Pokemon party, like 8 instead of 6, would make a difference on who can go on Ash's multiple journeys. And perhaps, upgrading the number of moves allowed to 6 from 4 for more variety.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Ash spends all of his time with them in the magical world of Offscreenland.