• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Joins In! The Pokémon World Championships!! (1107)

Red and Blue

Too bad Pisces forget Normal type moves don't affect Ghost types otherwise Raichu might have been able to counter ice punch, lol

Leonhart

Imagineer
It was nice to see Matis again even if he didn't appear actually in-the-flesh at the Gym, and I was glad that Pikachu versus Raichu wasn't a scene-for-scene repeat of the previous Kuchiba Gym battle. Marumine was delightful as expected, and Gangar still did well for its first important battle even if it lost to Marumine in a comedic fashion.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I don’t know what you’d call it, but Ash’s tendency to use his hands in battle was at an all time high in today’s episode and I find it charming how he gets pumped as if he’s the one battling.

I’m down for Ash getting Raboot. Give Go Dragonite or Gengar lol
I think this is common even with other characters from XY onwards
They move a lot more when commanding, while they were just agressive pointing with stock backgrounds until BW

Rohanator

They move a lot more when commanding, while they were just agressive pointing with stock backgrounds until BW
The animators wanted to show off their hands after finally being allowed to draw finger nails after 15+ years lol

HeartThrob6000

Certified Lover
The continuity nods in this episode were great. Hoping they do so for the other regions as well.

With it manhandling Raichu, Gengar proved that it's a real bad@$$.

I really enjoyed the showcasing of an Electrode in battle after being a gag all these years.

Also, Rotom drone speaking English is what surprised me most.

All in all, I really enjoyed this episode. One of my top 3 episodes this series... 8/10.

CupidKirby

All my doubt that this series won't have good battles = gone. Honestly, it really was the Gigantamax gimmick that was killing battle choreography. I think it's nice that this series takes place across many regions since that means that the majority of battles won't have it and the writers will save it for the bigger climatic ones. The fact that we see it less makes each Gigiantamax battle feel more special as well without giving it negative repercussions of killing off battles with good strategy. I'm happy with that. The strategy on both sides was amazing. I especially love that reference to how Ash beat Lt. Surge by telling Pikachu to use its tail as a lightning rod, but using an improved version against Volt Tackle and with Iron Tail. It wasn't subtle either as even Pisces pointed it out. I hope that we'll see more battles like this in the future.

Also, it's nice seeing Ash willing to switch out Pikachu because Gengar would've gotten an easier win, rather than pulling a "let's keep Pikachu in for the sake of epicness and waste his stamina." Though part of me feels that the reason why we didn't get to see Pikachu defeat Raichu is because the writers are saving it for a future Ash vs Lt Surge rematch.

What was that OST when Pikachu was fighting Electrode? I think that was our first time hearing it and it got me excited. I also love the music used for Gengar's fight. It was very spooky and matches Gengar's sadistic laughs as it destroyed Raichu very well.

I'm starting to really doubt that Mr.Mine really counts as being part of Ash's main team. Gengar seems to be filling in the role of being the Psychic user here.

The Ash battle-focused episodes have been awesome so far! Can't wait for more
PM2019 Ash is a greatly refined SM Ash, with eventual goofy and slapstick moments and faces, but just as serious as DP and XY Ash in battles. I'm liking it too so far, it gives him personality while still making him very competent

I agree. I'm quite happy with this Ash. A lot of the poses and expressions that he had in this episode actually brought me back to DP and XY. Alongside his goofiness reminiscent of SM, this is a good form for him. It's nice to have a competent Ash that doesn't act like bland cardboard.

sigh
Listen, I didn't watch the anime before. Only the episodes about Leon because I'm not particularly fond of Ash. I started to watch now because I love Raboot and Cinderace.
But I did watch the last week's episode which, apparently, you didn't paid much attention.
Go had a bad attitude towards Scorbunny during that whole episode. Telling it what it can't do? That's awful, don't ever do that to anyone, it hurts. And Scorbunny got back stabbed by those harsh words and getting taken for granted for its huge efforts for that long. There's a limit someone can put up with that.

Look, I don't hate Go.
I don't really mind his goal, but he is not being necessarily a good trainer right now. He's awful actually. He's taking that for granted. People like to point out how some trainers are horrible to their pokemon and happens, Go is walking that path.
And Raboot realized that.

But now just to make things worse, Go seems to not care about that. He just put that aside and get focused on his obsession again. He got the cold shoulder, he got the hints and what he is doing to fix his bond with his partner?
Nothing.
Once again, he's taking it for granted.

You got to give Raboot some credit for still sticking around and still assisting Go despite both have grown distant of each the other. So uh no, its change of behavior didn't happen just because it evolved. Note it didn't magically forgave Go for his mistakes when it was still a Scorbunny. It was still sore, yet obedient. And once it evolved and proved Go wrong, the trainer did not even get the tact to apologize. That would help. But he didn't.

Go is not a bad person.
He just doesn't think of others much yet.

No offense but trying to make an argument about how Gou's goal of catching Pokemon causes him to neglect Scorbunny after admitting that you hadn't seen any of the episodes that depicted Gou, Scorbunny, or the two of them together catching Pokemon other than the one that they fought in is kind of suspect. Now you're accusing people of not paying attention to the show like :confused: It's like the fans on twitter who started bashing Gou after episode 5 because someone posted screenshots of Scorbunny crying with absolutely zero context.

Besides, telling someone to focus on what they know rather than on trying to learn something new doesn't make them a bad trainer. Imagine if you were a coach and one of your athletes kept focusing all their time on learning a new move that they're bad at just because it looked cool, rather than focusing on improving on the basics that they've been relying on to move the team forward. It's selfish. They're disrupting the balance of the team. Sure if they manage to master the move and everyone else learns to adapt to them, it could be useful but many athletes just end up wasting their and their teammates' time. It's a huge risk. Gou did have a solid argument in the previous episode whether you like it or not. Scorbunny was trash at trying to use ember on two water types just to show off and it would've ended in Scorbunny being captured by Team Rocket if Ash and Pikachu weren't there. Anyone would've given their Pokemon a stern talking to if that happened to them. Of course on the flip side, Scorbunny also had a solid argument on wanting to have a fire move to work with. The issue was that Gou didn't know how to compromise and work with Scorbunny to have him use his feet. That was the point of the episode. Don't treat it as if Scorbunny was being abused or neglected.

Last edited:

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I wish the 3D camera was used extensively in these battles. As I said before, the battles are fine, but they just don’t have that kind of frenetic action and speed

If Iwane had more time he could do that by hand, too. Pokemon 2019 seems to be trying to have more lines, though, so that might be another reason why we aren't getting hand-drawn background animation. Here's a awesome example of a background being animated by the key animator.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
That’s true. Alain and Gladion come to mind with their more dramatic battling styles

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
So...how does Pikachu's Iron Tail negate the force of having his entire body crashed into by a raichu, coupled with the strain of dragging your tail through solid ground?

Also poor gengar got completely worfed for its electrode battle, with it forgetting it could turn intangible to dodge electrode's attacks

Red and Blue

So...how does Pikachu's Iron Tail negate the force of having his entire body crashed into by a raichu, coupled with the strain of dragging your tail through solid ground?

Also poor gengar got completely worfed for its electrode battle, with it forgetting it could turn intangible to dodge electrode's attacks
Ghost types aren't immune to Rock type moves like Rollout :p

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
One thing I really like about the World Championships systems is that it kind of follows a similar system to Medabots, which is what I was hoping they'd go for: Trainers have to battle each other to earn the highest number of points for the world tournament, and they earn more points by battling trainers with higher ranks.

The Rotom Drone even takes on a similar role to Mr. Referee by randomly popping in and officiating matches, so I'm hoping it'll have more comedic roles as the series progresses. (also his voice is hilarious! It's the voice of a generation!)

Last edited:

RLC

I agree. I'm quite happy with this Ash. A lot of the poses and expressions that he had in this episode actually brought me back to DP and XY. Alongside his goofiness reminiscent of SM, this is a good form for him. It's nice to have a competent Ash that doesn't act like bland cardboard.
just because the goofy side of ash in Xy/DP wasn't maxed out doesn't me he was bland, idk where you guys get this from