• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash- The perfect Darkrai counter?

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Is this just a mere coincidence? That Ash has 3 pokemon that can perfectly counter Darkrai? Is this indicating to an Ash win? I know by now, all of us know about this, i just wanted to know if this was set up on purpose, just to beat Darkrai?

Heracross. With Megahorn, Focus Punch and Sleep Talk, Heracross = Darkrai's death. Kind of suspicious it learned something random like Sleep Talk. Since we know Heracross is being used against Takuto, its pretty obvious that these moves will play a big role

Noctowl. The friggin bird has Insomnia! And it was recently featured in a battle and shown to be just as strong as Staraptor, or dare i say, even Swellow!

Snorlax. I bet that thing has Snore AND Sleep Talk. Plus to avoid Dark Void it can use Rest, which will restore his HP. Takuto will laugh at Ash's face for basically doing his job for him....until he uses Snore or a Sleep Talked Hyper Beam or something.....

Bayleef can be useful if things backfire. The writers can easily give her Aromatherapy.

All the above pokemon are the most likely, and most predicted Pokemon to be used against Takuto.....

Whats the point of the thread? Well, competitive strategy isnt usually how Ash wins. Do you think he'll forget about his previous ideals and actually set up a plan to cripple Darkrai? Paul influence? I mean, come on! Darkrai has gotten too much hype and Takuto hasnt even interacted with Ash yet. The kids wont learn anything if Ash loses. Why would the writers make an uber using sinister character win? Compare him to Harisson/Tyson.

Last edited:

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Darkrai is a Dark type..a powerful Dark type,it can easily beat Snorlax even if Snorlax has Snore or whatever move.Heracross yeah,it's the perfect counter.And yes,Noctowl has Insomnia..so what?Darkrai doesn't need to have Ghost type moves cuz it's a frikin' DARK TYPE!

FAIL!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The problem is Ash has to use all the pokemon left in the opening.

I feel as if Bayleef, Totodile and Quilava will all be in this match, just to give the Johto starters their redemption. Heracross is confirmed.

The last two slots I think will go to Glalie and Muk, because otherwise they appeared for no reason.

Corphish/Torkoal will probably get still shots like Snorlax or used elsewhere.

gliscor&yanmega

Is this just a mere coincidence? That Ash has 3 pokemon that can perfectly counter Darkrai? Is this indicating to an Ash win? I know by now, all of us know about this, i just wanted to know if this was set up on purpose, just to beat Darkrai?

Ash will probably beat Darkrai, doesn't mean he will win the whole battle. So far there is only one of Ash's Pokemon that we know can counter sleeping moves and have other advantages, that being Heracross. Although we don't know if Darkrai will have sleeping moves, although it probably wil.

Heracross. With Megahorn, Focus Punch and Sleep Talk, Heracross = Darkrai's death. Kind of suspicious it learned something random like Sleep Talk. Since we know Heracross is being used against Takuto, its pretty obvious that these moves will play a big role

Heracross might also have Hyper Beam, which is a very powerful attack with Megahorn and Focus Punch although it's not super effective like the other two moves but still powerful. It will probably put up a good fight, I think it will lose though.

Noctowl. The friggin bird has Insomnia! And it was recently featured in a battle and shown to be just as strong as Staraptor, or dare i say, even Swellow! Not to mention he also has Foresight that can be useful for Ash to use Normal moves on him. On top of even that, its Normal type can be easily used as an excuse for the writers to make Darkrai's ghost moves fail.

We don't know for sure if Noctowl has Insomnia, although it might. If it's used in the battle then it probably will have it. I'm sure it will. Foresight wouldn't do much in the battle, Darkrai is a Dark type, not Ghost type. Darkrai probably only has one Ghost Type move at the most.

Snorlax. I bet that thing has Snore AND Sleep Talk. Its Normal type also can be easily used as an excuse for the writers to make Darkrai's ghost moves fail.

I don't think Snorlax will have Sleep Talk, although Snore can happen. Darkrai probably has only one Ghost Type move at the most.

Bayleef can be useful if things backfire. The writers can easily give her Aromatherapy.

Aromatherapy might work. I see Bayleaf being used regardless though.

All the above pokemon are the most likely, and most predicted Pokemon to be used against Takuto.....

Add Quilava and Totodile/Croconaw and you have a team that can counter Darkrai plus give Johto it's comeback, aside from Donphan.

Whats the point of the thread? Well, competitive strategy isnt usually how Ash wins. Do you think he'll forget about his previous ideals and actually set up a plan to cripple Darkrai? Paul influence? I mean, come on! Darkrai has gotten too much hype and Takuto hasnt even interacted with Ash yet. The kids wont learn anything if Ash loses. Why would the writers make an uber using sinister character win? Compare him to Harisson/Tyson.

DP 189 could show Ash what Darkrai's strategy is which might make Ash think and come up with a counter strategy. That's only if Darkrai's strategy is making the opponent sleep, which should be the case.

Misty Lover17

Water Trainer
Snorlax! I agree with you there, I'm just hoping Ash will use it.

Heracross can't defeat Darkrai alone, but the moves it has could definitely wear him out for the next Pokemon.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
****, sorry guys, its getting late. The Ghost move i was talking about....i meant Shadow Force! I was too sleepy to realise it was Giratina's, not Darkrai's.

Edited first post.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Yeah, because a weak and minor Pokemon like Primeape is really a strong contender. lol.

Pokemon needs moar Primeape.

But seriously, Vital Spirit and Close Combat = PWNAGE

If Primeape was brought back one time, for just this battle, I would actually watch the show again and take back everything I've ever said about the show sucking since Misty left.

gliscor&yanmega

I doubt Primeape will ever come back. It could happen, it just doesn't seem like the writers would do it.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Ash will probably beat Darkrai, doesn't mean he will win the whole battle. So far there is only one of Ash's Pokemon that we know can counter sleeping moves and have other advantages, that being Heracross. Although we don't know if Darkrai will have sleeping moves, although it probably wil.

I think if Ash can beat Darkrai, he can beat the rest. Why? Well, according to Conway, Takuto only used Darkrai throughout his gym battles. I guess he spammed the Dark Void+Bad Dreams+Nightmare+Dream Eater strategy.

Heracross might also have Hyper Beam, which is a very powerful attack with Megahorn and Focus Punch although it's not super effective like the other two moves but still powerful. It will probably put up a good fight, I think it will lose though.

We don't know for sure if Noctowl has Insomnia, although it might. If it's used in the battle then it probably will have it. I'm sure it will. Foresight wouldn't do much in the battle, Darkrai is a Dark type, not Ghost type. Darkrai probably only has one Ghost Type move at the most.

I know, but it really wont make sense if he had Keen Eye instead, now would it?

I don't think Snorlax will have Sleep Talk, although Snore can happen. Darkrai probably has only one Ghost Type move at the most.

Aromatherapy might work. I see Bayleaf being used regardless though.

Add Quilava and Totodile/Croconaw and you have a team that can counter Darkrai plus give Johto it's comeback, aside from Donphan.

DP 189 could show Ash what Darkrai's strategy is which might make Ash think and come up with a counter strategy. That's only if Darkrai's strategy is making the opponent sleep, which should be the case.

Comments in bold.

I dont know why, but i get the feeling this guy only spams Darkrai's ability to win matches. Imagine how a simple Disable can cripple this guy? I looked through Noctowl's moveset. He doesnt have Disable. He does have some interesting moves though.

Uproar, which prevents any pokemon from sleeping for 2-5 turns. And it would be hilarious if the owl used Role Play(move tutor)+Hypnosis+Dream Eater, buts its unlikely....

I'm just pointing out how Ash can cripple Darkrai. Then again, what if Takuto isnt over-reliant on Bad Dreams?

platinum breeder

We have already had Gliscor come back, Primeape and Pidgeot might come back yet, last chance for the writers to tie up all the loosed ends from previous saga before they start of fresh in Isshu.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
If Primeape was brought back one time, for just this battle, I would actually watch the show again and take back everything I've ever said about the show sucking since Misty left.

LOL. The original trio bombed over the entire span of Johto and Misty herself is one of the major reasons Johto was so boring. Nice try, though.

Last edited:

Skwog

PurpleHaze
Ash will win this. Just watch.
Darkrai will fail versus Heracross. Sleep Talk Focus Punch/Megahorn will kill.
I doubt Snorlax will use Snore/Sleep Talk, since Heracross already has a sleeping move. However, this is what I can see happening:

Snorlax starts to battle Darkrai.
Snorlax gets weak and uses Rest.
Darkrai's ability kicks in and starts hurting Snorlax.
Ash comes up with plan in his head and sends out Heracross.
Hercross pwns with Megahorn, Focus Punch, and Sleep Talk.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
We have already had Gliscor come back, Primeape and Pidgeot might come back yet, last chance for the writers to tie up all the loosed ends from previous saga before they start of fresh in Isshu.

Might as well bring back Butterfree too?

terminoob

The Underdog
I doubt Snorlax will use Snore/Sleep Talk, since Heracross already has a sleeping move. However, this is what I can see happening:

"So, it seems as though Darkrai's ability causes damage to sleeping Pokemon without attacking... I KNOW! I'll send out Heracross and deliberately have Darkrai put it to sleep, thereby activating Darkrai's ability!"

It doesn't matter if Heracross is the perfect Pokemon for the job, it's still subjected to Bad Dreams. Even if Heracross will be able to attack Darkrai, Focus Punch and Megahorn aren't always going to hit, whereas Bad Dreams ALWAYS will.

gliscor&yanmega

I think if Ash can beat Darkrai, he can beat the rest. Why? Well, according to Conway, Takuto only used Darkrai throughout his gym battles. I guess he spammed the Dark Void+Bad Dreams+Nightmare+Dream Eater strategy.

Takuto has used Darkrai to win all his Sinnoh gym battles and league battles but that doesn't mean his other five Pokemon are weak, they most likely are powerful. Plus we have no idea how he got Darkrai. If he caught it by battling it, then he has at less one other Pokemon that is really strong to be able to stand up to Darkrai. Although there are many ways he could have caught it. But I'm sure he has plenty of strong Pokemon.

Also Darkrai will probably still defeat a few of Ash's Pokemon. I can see it beating three and losing to the fourth yet still does a good amount of damage to it.

Darkrai probably has Dark Void to put the foe to sleep. It probably has the ability Bad Dreams for obvious reasons. It probably has Dream Eater as a way to heal if necessarily plus it does damage to the opponent. I doubt it has Nightmare since it already has Bad Dreams doing the work. So it could have Dark Pulse and Ominous Wind for back up plans, just in case Dark Void doesn't work.

The way I see it happening is Ash beats Darkrai but it defeats three of Ash's Pokemon and the fourth was damaged a bit as well. Then Ash has two Pokemon that have full power which can take down two Pokemon each(Possibly tieing with their second battles), and the one that took down Darkrai would come close at being Takuto's last Pokemon but end up losing.

I know, but it really wont make sense if he had Keen Eye instead, now would it?

It would make sense. But it would be better for it to have Insomnia, but it might not even be used and if it is it might not have the ability. Although I do think it will be use and have the ability for my own reasons.

Comments in bold.

I dont know why, but i get the feeling this guy only spams Darkrai's ability to win matches. Imagine how a simple Disable can cripple this guy? I looked through Noctowl's moveset. He doesnt have Disable. He does have some interesting moves though.

Uproar, which prevents any pokemon from sleeping for 2-5 turns. And it would be hilarious if the owl used Role Play(move tutor)+Hypnosis+Dream Eater, buts its unlikely....

I'm just pointing out how Ash can cripple Darkrai. Then again, what if Takuto isnt over-reliant on Bad Dreams?

Takuto comes off as being cocky to me, so I can easily see him just using Darkrai all the time. Considering it seems like it never loses Takuto probably never thought he had to train his other Pokemon that much. So Ash beating Darkrai could show Takuto that he should train his other Pokemon just in case Darkrai does get beat.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
Butterfree had a good ending and started a family, it would ruin it to see it back. same with Lapras.

It left, just like Primeape and Pidgeot. They left 10 years ago, do you really think that the majority of the kids that watch pokemon even remember who they are?

Is it possible to see Primape make a return? Yes. Is it probable? No.
Is it possible to see Pidgeot make a return? Yes, when ash visits Kanto. Is it probable? No.

gliscor&yanmega

Gliscor is a different story. It was obvious it would come back for the league(In my opinion), plus it didn't have hundreds of episodes of not showing up. Primeape and Pidgeot have been gone for a long time and I think it's best that way.

Ash will most likely lose the battle. He'll probably beat Darkrai though and come close to winning.

I doubt Darkrai will go down that quick though. Ash will probably know of Darkrai's strategy before the battle(Since he's been using it for the whole time). Ash could use Noctowl and Snorlax because both either can overcome sleep or use sleep to their advantage. Heracross is going to be used since it's been confirmed. Although I don't see it beating it still.

Last edited: