• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash turned into Pikachu a Missed opportunity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdp

Pokemon Master
At the end of the episode Hocus Pocus, Ash is turned into a Pikachu and told the effects will last a little while. So clearly you think the next episode will be about Ash being a Pikachu...The next episode begins with the narrator explaining you why Ash is a Pikachu only for ash to turn back to human as soon as he is done explaining......

They use magic which is not usually used in Pokemon...they set up the plot perfectly for Ash to be a pikachu at the end of the episode....in the next episode they explain why Ash is a pikachu....and then they turn him back in the beginning of the episode...

Why go through all the trouble?

As stupid as the concept sounds it was actually kinda cool when I saw it only to be disappointed that they didn't use it. This had a lot more potential than a lot of the fillers in Master Quest..

What do you think?

Here is a clip of the end of the episode and start of the next if you've never seen it:
[Providing YT links @ episodes aren't allowed - therefore it's removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Squaaah

They probably just meant it as a joke, and making a whole episode about would stretch it out a bit too much.

Alloute

Not Banned
It was a horrible idea, in fact, the episode washed away the little respect I had for the Anime producers/directors.

Rex Kamex

I wish they could've done expaned on that idea more. It made Johto a bit more interesting, but I keep forgetting that it even happened because it lasted for a short time.

Although having Ash start out as a Pikachu in the next episode was kind of amusing. Still, I wish they could've done more. (And I'm sure that if this happened during Kanto all sorts of people would consider it great if they had expanded on this plot more.)

catzeye

Writer's Block
It would've been nice but I never saw him being a pikachu for more than 1 episode.

Another way to handle "Ashachu" is that instead of Ash being a pikachu for a few episodes straight that they have him transform into pikachu under times of serious stress. It would be a running gag so when Ash gets into things way over his head he turns into pikachu until he can calm down. I don't know just a random thought that I came up with.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
that made me mad. Very,Very,Very MAD!

LinkG07

I wasn't mad persay, but I was a bit peeved that they didn't expand on it, even a little. Ash could've been in a pokemon battle with Misty or Brock posing as his trainer and then he'd get the mess beat out of him for not understanding how to use pikachu's attacks. Then he could've changed back.

PDL

disenchanted
I thought it was a horrible idea to include it in retrospect because it borders on Furry fandom. Which I dislike with a passion.

DeadlyLucario

Remember this episode was a johto one so are you suprised it was a missed opportunity. how many other stuff in johto had missed opportunities?

Rex Kamex

I thought it was a horrible idea to include it in retrospect because it borders on Furry fandom. Which I dislike with a passion.

Well that's the fault of people in the fandom...

Heracross

Custom User Title
I always saw this as evidence of the writers' desperation to come up with new material. I guess if nothing else it could have made for an interesting Pikachu short, but meh.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Two words: Missed Opportunity. It would've been downright hilarious to see him fall into water and panic, setting off an electric attack. Or seeing another Trainer try to capture him. And maybe even succeed. Wouldn't it be funny seeing him go into the Poke-Ball as a Pikachu, and then get called out by some rookie to battle, only to have reverted to human form?

They seriously dropped the ball on that one.

Last edited:

Penguinist Trainer

I think it was a missed opportunity, because this could have been a big spoiler towards pokemon mystery dungeon.

After Ash is turned into a pokemon, he realizes he can completely understand all of them. He ends up getting nabbed with a bunch of other pokemon by team rocket and he joins a "rescue team" to try and free the captured pokemon.

yeminied

With this they should have at least made something good out of it. It could have been interesting and funny but they didn't do anything with it, back then I'm sure I would have enjoyed it, oh well.

Lestat

<3 Gary Oak
Well the only opportunities I see missed all revolve around fanfiction ideas that please the fangirl in me.

Really it was cute seeing but i think the whole idea was just to see the smilies on the creative fan's faces and give them new story ideas. Soon we may even see that idea of Pikachu being turned into a trainer maybe. =/ but if they do that my respect for the series goes down the drain.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Yes, this was definitely a missed opportunity. :(

Back when "Hocus Pokemon" originally aired on KidsWB, I really enjoyed this episode. I loved the idea of Pokemon Magic and I really think it was a great story for this episode. And as for the ending, with Ash being turned into a Pikachu, it was the icing on the cake for me. It was an unexpected and very unique twist, because a human had never been turned into a Pokemon before.

After watching "Hocus Pokemon", I waited until the following week for the next new episode to air. When "As Clear As Crystal" aired, I thought KidsWB may have skipped an episode. Because to me, it really seemed like there was a huge plot hole there. In my opinion, it's a shame the writers had Ash change back so quickly. There are so many awesome things the writers could've tried with this storyline. There was a lot of creativity with the idea of Ash being a Pikachu, and I think it's sad that the writers didn't explore this idea more while they had the chance.

Also, I wonder if the writers and storyboard people still remember that this event happened? If they do remember the Ash as a Pikachu (or "Ashachu", as we fans call him), then I hope they bring him back for another episode. It would be awesome to see an entire episode with Ash as a Pikachu.

In fact, "Hocus Pokemon" is one of my top favorite Pokemon episodes. I really enjoyed the entire episode, especially seeing Ash get turned into a Pikachu. I loved it! And I wish the writers/producers could've done more with this idea, back when they were making the Master Quest episodes.

Personally, I think it's weird that, when Ash changed back into a human in "As Clear As Crystal", that event *happened* to take place in an episode where Zapdos appeared. Oh, and not only that, but this episode was also about Electric type Pokemon as well. Is that some sort of coincidence? o.o

I wonder, is it possible that the Pokemon Mind Reading spell wore off too soon? It kinda makes it seem like Ash was forced to change back too soon, instead of waiting the normal length of time for the spell to wear off. For example, maybe off-screen, Zapdos (with its legendary abilities) did something to "correct" the problem. Causing Ash to change back into a human too early. Anyway, that's just an interesting theory I had, and it would be interesting if it were true.

Oh and by the way, in "As Clear As Crystal", I felt sorry for Ash when Misty insulted him by saying that, she liked it a lot better when he was still a Pikachu. I mean, poor Ash. =(

I guess it would depend upon how Ash received that comment. If he "liked" his Pikachu form, he could take it as a compliment. Or if he "disliked" his Pikachu form (which is what I'm thinking), he would most likely take Misty's comment as an insult. And wow, I've gotta say, that's the most harsh thing Misty has ever said to Ash. Ouch!! O_O

I think it was a missed opportunity, because this could have been a big spoiler towards pokemon mystery dungeon.

After Ash is turned into a pokemon, he realizes he can completely understand all of them. He ends up getting nabbed with a bunch of other pokemon by team rocket and he joins a "rescue team" to try and free the captured pokemon.
Yep, it was a missed opportunity indeed. I agree.

And also, I like your idea, with Ash being captured by Team Rocket and forming his own "rescue team". That would be cool!

However, there's one problem with that, though. The Mystery Dungeon specials don't include characters from the anime, so unfortunately, it doesn't seem likely that the writers could do something like this.

I wasn't mad persay, but I was a bit peeved that they didn't expand on it, even a little. Ash could've been in a pokemon battle with Misty or Brock posing as his trainer and then he'd get the mess beat out of him for not understanding how to use pikachu's attacks. Then he could've changed back.
Yeah, I wasn't mad either. I was disappointed that the writers didn't make an episode in between "Hocus Pokemon" and "As Clear As Crystal" where Ash was a Pikachu the whole time. It was sad, because they create this very unique, new side of Ash (his Pikachu self, hehe). But then, all of a sudden, the writers go and change him back right at the beginning of the next episode.

So yes, I'm bummed out and disappointed by the writers skipping what could've been a great opportunity. However, I'm still grateful and very happy that they made "Hocus Pokemon", because it's one of the best Pokemon epsiodes ever (in my opinion). I also enjoyed "As Clear As Crystal" a lot as well.

But, I simply wish that the writers would've done more with the Ash-as-a-Pikachu storyline. I really do feel this was a missed opportunity, and one that the writers should've taken, simply because of the variety of different, creative things the writers could've done here. The possibilities for an in-between episode were endless, and for some unknown reason, the writers passed this up. It's weird how that happened, isn't it?

And omg, yes!! It would've been hilarious to see Misty or Brock act as Ash's trainer. I would also imagine they would give him rules or guidlines (considering the fact that he's a human transformed into a Pokemon, if anyone else found out about that - it could put Ash in danger). I'd imagine that Brock and Misty would tell Ash only to speak in the "Pikachu" language, whenever they're in public. They would probably tell him that he's not allowed to talk, because it would be too weird for a Pikachu to talk.

Though, on the other hand, Ash would counter this with the fact that Meowth is a Pokemon and he can talk too. Hmm, this seems like an interesting story. Too bad I can't write fanfiction... ^^;

Let's see, I would also imagine Ash trying to use Pikachu attacks (and failing, of course). And Team Rocket stealing him and Pikachu both. XD Meowth being really excited over meeting another talking Pokemon, hahahaha. XD

I could also see Brock wanting Ash to have a check up at the Pokemon Center. And Ash not wanting to go to the Pokemon Center at all, hehe. It would also be hilarious to see Ash struggling while trying to get used to his new form. Poor Ash. XD I mean, that was a really weird experience, so I'm sure it was difficult for him to get used to his new body (with all those physical changes and all).

And finally, I could also imagine Misty and Brock calling Professor Oak on the video phone at some point, to try and obtain some information about Ash's transformation (for example, they should find out if Ash is the first human to experience this sort of thing). And then, of course, Professor Oak would be very surprised at seeing Ash's new form. It would be hilarious, because he would probably assume Ash is just a "talking" Pikachu at first. XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.