• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash using only a small core team each generation

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
I get this feeling Staraptor, Buizel and Gliscor will all be Oak'd after Sinnoh ends.

Totodile will likely make a return, I hope Ash actually uses it properly this time around.

I consider Totodile and Noctowl to be Ash's two weakest pokemon of his entire roster, so I'd like to see the writers prove me wrong and handle them well.

To be honest I can't see Staraptor going; Buizel and Gliscor yes. :p

I'd love to see Noctowl returning (I know, you will say 2 flyers are too much, but still) and either Bayleef or Cyndaquil/Totodile.

But yeah, I don't see Ash keeping Gliscor at all, it will probably be like Torkoal and Glalie.

dman_dustin

Where do people get this Gliscor rivalry crap from? It was sent out against Gliscor as a Gligar, lost and was returned. It showed no sign of a rivalry.

Um... Isn't obvious the only reason that they gave Gliscor to both Ash and Paul is because the writers wanted to show whose had received the better training method.

ShinyCharyZard did you pull a 360 because weren't you the one that said Ash's should beat Paul's so he gives it to Bertha?

Even if you meant the Pokemon itself, they should have a natural rivalry just because the inevitable Gliscor vs Gliscor. And besides Rivalries could be one sided. Paul's Gliscor could give a rat's butt about Ash's but I'm sure Ash's would like to take that miserable loss and knock out Gliscor itself. And not only that Paul probably doesn't see Ash as a rival even though Paul is considered one.

bui

Why is gliscor listed with the like of Muk and Kingler, Ash caught him before the 3rd gym for god sake.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Granted it took a while, but Gliscor is now a very worthy threat in battle, and by the time this region is over will likely have done itself proud many times over. Sinnoh has Ash's most balanced team yet, especially if Staraptor is going to be put to better use now. They all have their good and bad days and they've all had at least one major win (Turtwig beat Rampardos among others, Buizel of course took down Maylene's Lucario and Wake's Floatzel, Gliscor beat Bastiodon, Chimchar's had a few big wins but Fantina is the most noteworthy, and Staraptor beat Paul's Honchkrow)

Pokemon Forever

yah it's true...
ash uses a small core every journey but at least a good core
the kanto outsiders (muk, kingler & tauroses) have been there only to fill the empty slot after butterfree left and to vary the gym battles.

snorlax used many times along with lapres in the orange islands, filling pidgeotto's slot

in johto ash's team changed very often, and although cynaquill and bayleed got A LOT OF screentime, heracross and noctowl used many times as well.
totodile's uselessness was clear: there isn't any gym in johto that focusing on fire/rock/ground types...

in hoenn the sceentime was more equal, but still glalie rarely used and torkoal used less than others

in sinnoh ash's team was completely equal, and finished this issue

Last edited:

milenadrg

They're possibly most focused on starters, because they're popular than some random...
I think Ash will continue to use only a small core team each generation... :p

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Look as Far as I'm conserned Gliscor has gotten a way better deal then Glalie and most of Ash's pokemon, so if it were to take a vacation after the Sinnoh League I wouldnt Mind

But I do think that If Ash goes up against The New Frontier Brains he should just use teams from random pokemon he gets from Oak

Vs. Arcade Star Dahlia

Gliscor
Glalie
Noctowl

This could be a redeeming match for Noctowl

Aeron

Bum Eyes
I hate the way Ash just let's his old team rot, I mean Kingler, if I was him I'd be miffed, defeated an entire opponont on his own in the Indigo League and what does Ash do, dump the poor sod on Oak.
Which is ironic since Kingler is actually a rather good Pokemon.

Briankelly130

How come people are mentioning Ash's Chimchar as Monferno, I can't see anything anywhere that says it's evolved

For all we know Ash might make another capture before DP is through, but once again, I highly doubt it.

Squaaah

How come people are mentioning Ash's Chimchar as Monferno, I can't see anything anywhere that says it's evolved

You clearly havn't been over at the Movie 12 thread. Theres a poster with Ash next to a Monferno. It also spoiled Staraptor, as it came out before we knew it was evolving.

Also, theres a graphic novel based on the episode after Ash's battle with Paul, in which Ash is seen giving commands to a Monferno. I THINK thats in either the dp 133 speculation thread or the 131 thread.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Man, Gliscor is getting the best screentime of the wild-card Pokemon.

I wish Snorunt/Glalie and Phanpy/Donphan could have been around as long.

And going further back then that, Heracross and Snorlax, as well as the instant-Oak's like Muk, Kingler and Tauros also deserved more.

It's a shame that some of Ash's most unique Pokemon get the least screentime. I hope they all get used again in the near future.

BM14murph

Master Collector
Donpahn did redeem himself though but i agree gliscor is getting some serious good use even had the whole being afraid gimmick and diving on ash

crawdauntpro

darksidetrainer
Keeping a new team together at the start of every Region gives them a chance to grow and learn with each other rather than having to meet new friends every 2 minutes which will keep the team in synch, in my opinion anyways...

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
Well too many poke'mon would sort of complicate things sometime, but I hope that Ash uses more of his reserve poke'mon.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Man, Gliscor is getting the best screentime of the wild-card Pokemon.

I wish Snorunt/Glalie and Phanpy/Donphan could have been around as long.

And going further back then that, Heracross and Snorlax, as well as the instant-Oak's like Muk, Kingler and Tauros also deserved more.

It's a shame that some of Ash's most unique Pokemon get the least screentime. I hope they all get used again in the near future.

Well remember Ash got 6 pokemon early this time around, So there was time to handle them properly, Glalie came an episode before the League and Phanpy hatched around the 7th Gym (and in Johto) so there really wasnt much time to do anything with them

Dax

Legend
Look as Far as I'm conserned Gliscor has gotten a way better deal then Glalie and most of Ash's pokemon, so if it were to take a vacation after the Sinnoh League I wouldnt Mind

In terms of screentime I agree but as far as battles go Glalie proved itself to be a threat in the league. I think Gliscor still needs more battles to be at the level Glalie was at the league... even if Glalie's power boost from Snorunt to Glalie was rather exaggerated.

In this season the only one that seems to be getting the shaft is Pikachu, not the new ones. Not that it bothers me...:p

Squaaah

In terms of screentime I agree but as far as battles go Glalie proved itself to be a threat in the league. I think Gliscor still needs more battles to be at the level Glalie was at the league... even if Glalie's power boost from Snorunt to Glalie was rather exaggerated.

In this season the only one that seems to be getting the shaft is Pikachu, not the new ones. Not that it bothers me...:p

I agree. Gliscors only real victory was agaisnt Bastiodon, while still impressive, isnt enough to call it a major threat yet. I think people are giving it more credit then it deserves atm. However, with a battle agaist Paul aroudn the corner and the high chance of it being used agaisnt Volkner, then all the battles in the league, theres still plenty of opportunity for it to prove itself.

firepokemontrainer

If I see anyone spending some time at Oak's, it'll probably be Buizel. Ash has plenty of strong pokemon currently on his team and anything could happen when we get to Ash vs. Paul.

Pikachu: Pikachu probably will get a boost to show just how strong it should be in the league.

Staraptor: Staraptor I see as being the Sinnoh version of Swellow. A powerhouse that stays with Ash until he is ready to restart.

Grotle: We know that Grotle is currently a defensive tank on ash's team. I see Grotle staying through whatever filler arc they decide to bring us.

Chimchar/Monferno: Chimchar has been getting pretty decent development lately, being used in 3 gyms and against Paul for the 2nd time. I can see Chimmy being Ash's newest fire powerhouse if it evolves into infernape.

Buizel: Ever since Byron's gym, Buizel seems to have been sidelined. When first starting out with Ash, Buizel beat Lucario, Floatzel and Gengar, which were all fully evolved pokemon. I think it has become less of Ash's main battler since it lost against Steelix. One thing that could happen is Buizel learning a new move during the gap between Snowpoint and Sunyshore. Unless this happens, I see Buizel sitting out on the sidelines permanently after the league.

Gliscor: I think Gliscor has a good shot at staying through the league and into the battle frontier/filler arc. It seems to me like it's a young pokemon still and could use more development to show it improving, especially after it's defeat by Snover.

Ludicodaniel

<-If only it was red
If you notice, each generation Ash really just uses a small cluster of Pokemon, whereas all the other Pokemon he captures are usually just back-up Pokemon for the big matches after every 150 episodes or so.

These Pokemon usually get minimal screentime while Ash is actually traveling:

Kingler
Muk
Tauros
Snorlax
Heracross
Donphan
Torkoal
Glalie
Gliscor

The only core group teams Ash really had:

- Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard....around for 150 episodes, Kanto, Orange and early Johto, and reunited at the end of each generation.

- Bayleef/Cyndaquil...the only two Johto Pokemon that got good screentime, were around for about 100 episodes.

- Sceptile/Swellow/Corphish...on Ash's roster for nearly 180 episodes, from the beginning of Hoenn till the end of BF.

- Grotle/Monferno/Staraptor/Buizel...on Ash's roster for almost all of DP, so far about 130 episodes.

Why do you think Ash really only uses a small group of 3 or 4 Pokemon each saga, whereas the rest of his captures either get less screentime than the others, or are Oak'd immediately?

Kingler: I agree with Kingler. It was never given a personality, the most interesting thing being the revalation that it was half the size of Gary's while it was a Krabby. It did get used in the Kanto Cup, a lot (Cloyser, and the 1st round battle it did all on it's own), and was also used in Johto to some degree, truly showing it's power in the Whirl Cup (Splitting waves with Crabhammer) I feel like they pulled out when Kingler was going to be used in a leauge, then, a group of Voltorb fell on it, and knocked it out.

Muk: Was used for comic relif in Kanto, and Johto, until Bayleef took over it's role for a short time the role being causing Oak pain. Muk has been shown to be powerful, however, Janet's Bellsprout, which beat both Pikachu and Bulbasaur was effortlessly beaten by Muk.

Tauros: There are several reasons for Tauros' lack of personaility. Firstly, there are 30 of them, so odds are Oak dosen't get the same one all the time. Secondly, it's a powerhouse used only for Leauges, and Battle Fronteirs. Thirdly, the ep where it was caught was never aired away from Japan, and that could have some effect on the minimisation of Tauros' role, most outside of Japan don't know how Ash got it.

Snorlax: I disagree, Snorlax was developed quite well in the OI saga. The Fronteir saga also made it shine once again.

Heracross: Was forgotten towards the end of Johto, sadly. Although, it's battle against that Scizor had to be one of the highlights of the whole region, especially seeing as it wasn't a Gym or Leauge battle.

Donphan: Be reasonable. Ash got it late in Johto, and it was used for the whole of the BF saga, Donphan WAS given development. It went from a baby Panphy to the powerhouse it is now.

Torkoal: Got a lot of screentime. Used for comedy, but was also massivly powerful. Not used in Gyms because Hoenn's didn't support the Fire-type well, and Torkoal dosen't suit Ash's speed-based style. Although, it did get good time in the Leauge, and against Registeel, putting up a fight.

Galie: See Panphy. Gotten VERY late in the show, yet was given development, from a Rascal Snortunt, that couldn't control it's Ice Beam, to argulably Ash's strongest Hoenn pokemon. I for one don't see the power increase as exaggerated, whenever Ash's pokemon evolve, they get a large power boost, and mastering Ice Beam, one of the most powerful Ice type attacks, is a leap in power in itself. It'll probobly come back for the next filler too.

Gliscor: No, he's part of the Core. If anything, it's Pikachu who's been relegated to being little but a mascot now.