1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ash Versus the Champion (713)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Black & White - Rival Destinies' started by Serebii, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

*Shutaro.

Also, he called Satoshi "Santaro". He has problems remembering names.

2. Yeul

Yeul Green Eyed Girl

Well then, I can say WATEVA I WANT too and so I say, don't be hatin'. Look into your heart and find some sort of affection for this episode, for Alder the Bro and Shooter. If I can find anything at all to complain about, it's that I haven't been trolled like I've been the last 50 something weeks.

Also, Dman, how can you say that no Pokemon showed up at all when clearly I saw a Bouffalant, a Pikachu, a Gigalith, a Herdier, an Axew and a bunch of Deerling and Sandile appeared on-screen, if I ain't mistaken? Either that or I'm going blind.

3. RandomOne

RandomOne Randomization

He meant pokemons of the main cast (without Pikachu and Axew of course). Ash could have send someone to help with the Gigaith thing or Idk.

4. Sushi

Sushi unspecified Staff Member Super Mod

The latter.

Also guys, please remember that Episode Discussion threads are just that: threads to discuss the episode mentioned in the title of the topic. Other episodes (if they have no connection to this ep), previews, endings, commercial breaks and connection problems have no place in here :p

I don't quite know what to think of this one. While they've always spammed Unsho Ishizuka as a VA since day one, Best Wishes really seems to take the cake. Since he's the narrator and Professor Oak, we already hear him in every single episode to begin with, but now he even plays the Champion... and said Champion's Pokémon too, if I heard correctly. Not to mention, nearly every "roaring", deep-voiced wild Pokémon that has appeared in the series so far. It's too much, simply. And an incredibly lazy choice, considering they usually make a point of recruiting seldom/never-used VAs for Gym Leaders, Elite Four members and Champions.

Although it's been quite obvious since the Vanillite/Timburr episode... If they ever intend to have Cheren appear in the anime, they'll need to think of an entirely new personality for him because Trip claimed almost all of his crucial game lines verbatim. I didn't care for Cheren that much in the game and thought his main conflict was just a cliché misconception resulting in a cliché lecture, but at least his overall kindness & helpfulness towards the player gave him some charm. In other words, Trip was stripped of the one thing that would've made me care about him in some way. Oh well. I liked that his voice got a little higher and more childishly-excited when he was talking to Alder, though.

Alder himself was pretty entertaining. Some of his jokes were unnecessarily exaggerated (falling asleep standing up, getting names wrong throughout the entire episode), but that seems to be a common thing in childrens' shows. I remember being able to laugh at the same goddamn unfunny thing about 20 times or so. Now I'm old and it's decreased to about 10 times. Noes!
    I wonder whether they'll implement his backstory, a slightly altered version of it... or just continue to have him act like a dork without any particular reason. Even the last option wouldn't be that bad (it's not like the previous Champions were given a backstory), but it'd still be a bit of a shame.

For all the effort the scriptwriter put into the characters (well, Trip is debatable), including Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny, the twerps' lines seemed extremely lazy this time. I realize that they had to make them a little more ignorant than usual and act like "being friends with Pokémon is more important than getting stronger" is a whole new concept to them in order to make Alder stand out as the philosopher of the century, but there seemed to be absolutely no distinction between Ash, Cilan and Iris. Their lines were completely interchangable, which is too bad because they should've reacted at least slightly differently to Alder's lecture.

Finally... They sure love this nail-in-the-foot thing, don't they? :D

5. rocky505

rocky505 Well-Known Member

Please do not make people mention the multiple times they said Ash and Pikachu were together for a year.

6. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

So did Trip loose all his respect for Alder after seeing his battle with Ash?

7. playerking

playerking Sick of dealing with idiots.

Well after Alder's terrible commitment in the battle and to show off Alder's strength, I think it was fine that Alder took care of it.

I don't think so, no.

8. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

I just thought he did after seeing Trip storm off after Alder got his name wrong. It seemed like he was expecting Alder to be serious during the battle but found him to be a complete joke & decided that staying there any longer "would be a waste of time.":
    Links were stretching the page and didn't work because they're hotlinks.

I've known that since the promo picture for the Battle Subway in Corocoro:
    http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/df/Battle_Subway_artwork.png

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
  9. playerking

I don't think Trip lost all respect, he's just annoyed and I think it might be because he didn't get a battle.

That doesn't show Gigalith with a mouth properly, for all we know there's no mouth there, so yeah, ever since the Pokedex 3D did we know that it had a mouth.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  10. rocky505

rocky505 Well-Known Member

He is talking about Gigalith.

11. Pepsi_Plunge

Pepsi_Plunge Dojyaaa~~aan

Hahaha saw the pictures, he actually fell asleep exactly like Garp standing and with the snotball there.

Seems like a pretty fun episode, will watch it later when it becomes "available".

12. playerking

I know he was, but with so much Bouffalant in the episode, I have Gigalith and Bouffalant on my mind.

Luffy does that too. It would be funny if Ash also did that, I know it would be out of character for Ash since he's battle happy, but it would be like One Piece more. But still, it was a pretty funny episode.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZpANoVdKFJM/TSOKlbhU8-I/AAAAAAAAAHc/DEiPvD-9P_E/s1600/like+grandfather+like+grandson.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  13. Pepsi_Plunge

Pepsi_Plunge Dojyaaa~~aan

I know, I was comparing old men that is why I meantioned Garp(even though Alder seems 10 years younger then Garp).

14. WaterShuriken

WaterShuriken Well-Known Member

No he doesn't.

[spoil][image=]http://www.filb.de/content/anime/bw/052/031.jpg[/image][/spoil]

15. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid Same thing, day in;day out ಠ_ಠ

Well, I'll admit I liked the episode, but like dman stated, it would have been even better if Ash/Cilan/Iris/Trip used a/different Pokemon(for Ash and Iris, anything other then Axew and Pikachu), but oh well, I think Alder is still pretty cool, he also has more personality then past Champions

16. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded At this point, who knows?

Wow alder is a noob he's a champion seriously that's sad a mad gigalith with an actual problem in his leg really?! And I just noticed it has a mouth.

17. Yeul

Yeul Green Eyed Girl

Gee, what do you guys want Alder to act like? Some calm old geezer filled with the wisdom of a billion Xatus?
    I think not, I like him as a bro/loser.

18. gliscor&yanmega

gliscor&yanmega Well-Known Member

Episode looks interesting and funny, mainly funny. Can't wait to watch it.

I'm disappointed Trip didn't battle Alder but oh well.

Looks like there are Anime exclusive badges...not surprised.

Alder seems like an interesting guy...odd...very odd though.

I think I'll enjoy this episode but probably not as much as I thought I would have.

19. Shneak

Shneak this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

Once again nowhere on the internet, so I looked at the photos. It looks disappointing, to be honest. The battle had no winner, and Trip was pretty pointless. I thought Serperior or Unfezant would premiere, but I guess not.

20. Venomfang

Venomfang Perky Goth

Hated this episode, absolutely hated it. The battle sucked, somehow Trip has more badges then Ash (worst rivalry ever), Ash used Screenhogachu once again instead of one of his reserves, the entire "Trip meeting Alder" plot was wasted, and it was just plain boring. Also, Alder was a complete jackhole, acting like a jerk to Trip, and FALLING ASLEEP DURING A BATTLE. I feel sorry that Afrobull has to put up with such a fool.

3/10

I'm with Dman on this one, the anime is really going downhill.