• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Versus the Champion (713)

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Shuutaro and Santaro? What next, Shitaro, Giitaro, Cattaro and Rentaro?

Victory

Banned
In all honest, I hate Alder even more now...I don't like his crazy and odd behavior...

thekorean

I like crazy odd Alder, fits him, and rids of the stereotypical cool, even headed Champion image.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
This episode was...different. I'll reiterate what I said about the anime actually showing Alder going through his "doesn't care much about being a trainer anymore" phase(as opposed to the games, where it's told and not shown). In that light, it worked pretty well. And if anyone had any doubts about Trip taking Cheren's place before, it's obvious now - between Trip talking about getting stronger, and then everyone else talking about their dreams and getting stronger to reach them(and Alder being disappointed at that), Cheren would just be redundant at this point.

THANK YOU!

From the beginning people wanted Cheren to appear but I'm glad Trip took his place.

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
I've have a lot of catching up to do, and it seems impossible at the moment. Still, I am glad that I took notice of this ep. Never expected a Champion battle to turn out like this. Just saw the episode pictures, and I got a question, where is TR?! They used to appear in every episode, even if just for a minute. Is this happening for a while now or what?

Last edited:

Haunter ゴースト

I've have a lot of catching up to do, and it seems impossible at the moment. Still, I am glad that I took notice of this ep. Never expected a Champion battle to turn out like this. Just saw the episode pictures, and I got a question, where is TR?! They used to appear in every episode, even if just for a minute. Is this happening for a while now or what?

No since BW TR have appeared a lot less frequently, each plot they scheme tends to have a bit of build up before they do it.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Everything that Alder says about "is getting stronger all there is to it?" really fits to what happens to him in the games.

I don't get why Trip takes it so personal when Alder doesn't remember one time when he said something to one little kid out of many in a festival.

randomspot555

Everything that Alder says about "is getting stronger all there is to it?" really fits to what happens to him in the games.

I don't get why Trip takes it so personal when Alder doesn't remember one time when he said something to one little kid out of many in a festival.

Because that's how kids act around their idols. Trip just (re)met his idol, his role model, and was extremely disappointed that someone he saw as the BEST battler in the region fell asleep during a Pokemon battle.

I like how we're featuring a Champion who isn't so darn perfect. He hits on women, he's out having fun, but at the same time, he still shows WHY he's the Champion.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Rewatched the episode in another version that I can't mention because I will get a warning and it made me like Alder even more :D.

His whole speach at the end was pretty cool to.

He actually remember Shotaro urgh, Shooti sorry, or is Shotaru some kind of japanese pun that actually made it look like he remembers him?

Never though he would remember kid number 3139 tha admires him.

Shooti really is going Cheren way XD.

CupidKirby

Just saw the episode, and I'm loving Alder! I hope him crashing into stuff becomes a gag; even Dent commented that he'd get hurt one day if he keeps doing it. And I actually really enjoyed that scene with Shooti storming off. We saw a different side of him acting like a 10 year old, to extreme disappointment. There were a lot of game vibes too. Dang it. The writers are setting themselves up perfectly for Team Plasma...

Shame that we probably won't see him that often since he is the champion and all. I didn't mind lack of pokemon. At this point I find the interactions and characters more interesting. And really. Something as trivial as so and so not being used doesn't affect the quality of the episode. It's just people botching that what they want didn't happen. Though I do agree with someone's comment about minimal effort being put into Ash, Iris, and Dent. The way they responded to Alder's speeches were just so one-dimensional and didn't differentiate them at all. I was hoping at least Ash by now would know the obvious fact that just being strong doesn't make the trainer.

New ending? = fail-ish. At least they didn't do that with the opening. But the ending has technically changed twice before it did even once now.

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Because that's how kids act around their idols. Trip just (re)met his idol, his role model, and was extremely disappointed that someone he saw as the BEST battler in the region fell asleep during a Pokemon battle.

I like how we're featuring a Champion who isn't so darn perfect. He hits on women, he's out having fun, but at the same time, he still shows WHY he's the Champion.

I understand how he feels that someone who you grew up idoilizing is totally different than you thought. That's what the celebraties here are like. Good on screen but assed out in real life. However, this is better than pointless fillers anyday.

gliscor&yanmega

Finally got to watched this episode.

I enjoyed it.

Alder being a carefree guy but still knows his stuff, I like that and he's more enjoyable this way to me.

Nice to see Trip again. I like the whole situation that happened with him in this episode.

Gigalith's voice sounded awesome to me.

Vanillachu

Pudding master
Alder lifted an gigalith with his bare hands. therefore he is awesome.

Geekachu

I really don't like how Alder's portrayed in the anime. He's just portrayed as this idiot ('don't worry, Gigalith should stop', *gets sent flying*) who hits on people half his age. Like a creepier Brock, if that's possible. I never really liked Alder in the games, and I can't say that the anime made me like him any more than that.

Otherwise, the episode would have been a boring filler, if it wasn't for Alder's appearance... nothing much to add- I didn't enjoy it :/

Ashawott

It is official! When Naruto charecters die they go to the Pokemon world. Minato as Volkner and now Pervy Sage as Alder. XD :) I liked the episode tbh Alder is way better then Cynthia. He has a personality

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Quite an interesing episode. Alder didn't amuse me a whole lot for the most part. He made everything he saw like a joke, especially not focusing on that battle with Ash. Or "Ashton" since he can't get his name right. Same for " Tristan" for Trip. Although Tristan is a better name for him in my opinion. This was more like an episode called "Ash Meets the Champion!" So they can get those viewers to watch with a Versus in the title.

Alder is unique though, and all his actions to the next says a lot. He did win me over at the end when he calmed down that wild Gigalith. Clearly I thought he was going to catch it, or it was his to begin with. Imagine Officer Jenny's reaction if it were that case. xD

Not too bad of an episode, but I felt for Trip. Although he had the "donkey" level attitude very high today.

Blaziryu

I finally got to see this episode today. I thought it was pretty good. Alder seem your typical shonen strong and carefree main character-type of character but he's cool to me. I like how he brought up that good question towards Ash, Iris, & Cilan about what they're going to do after they fulfill their dreams. I can see Ash being somewhat like Alder in the future. Great episode.