• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Versus the Champion (713)

halloweenghost

Great episode.. Hope people caught themessage of strength isn't always what is important.. as shown as alder used strength first against gigalith, then used another stretegy to save the day..pitty ash and company didn't realize this when they asked what he was going to tell them about strength when they just saw it with their own eyes. I'm sure this message went over other's heads too. and before anyone asks. I mean situation where fans talk abotu wanting to strangle ash for leaving his charizard behind,..I mean seriously... have you not learned anything watching this show?

oh and I LOVED the music near the end when alder was telling them about living together with pokemon and such... anyone know what it was called?

Jigglypuff5000

Coolio episode.

Ya know, other than his womanising ways and super-strength, Alder's love of food, sleep, his bond with his pokemon, his view on people and pokemon, and the way he choose to initially deal with Gigalith [through peaceful measures] reminds me alot of what Ash would be like as Champion! o-O xD

gliscor&yanmega

Finished watching the dub version, I enjoyed it as much as the original version.

I wonder what would happen if Stephan and Alder met...Alder...could get his name right :O.

Gigalith's dub voice was fine by me.

thekorean

I enjoyed this episode. Alder was great aside from hitting on Officer Jenny. Came off as too desperate there. And hes supposed to be old isnt he?

silent_control

Alder was great. He has shown us that a Champion knows how to have a good time.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
Coolio episode.

Ya know, other than his womanising ways and super-strength, Alder's love of food, sleep, his bond with his pokemon, his view on people and pokemon, and the way he choose to initially deal with Gigalith [through peaceful measures] reminds me alot of what Ash would be like as Champion! o-O xD

Yes Alder reminded me of Ash, they both care about Pokemon but they also care about food and sleep. Also Ashton won by a technicality, this was a great episode.

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Not a bad episode just felt like they could've done more with Alder. Do we really need him hitting on Jenny & Joy we've had enough of that with Brock & it makes Alder just come off as the stereotypical dirty old man we see in anime. Also did we really need the overused "lion with thorn stuck in it's paw" to end this episode that just felt like a easy out to show Alder as "caring".

Well I'm glad there are some other people and Pokemon to do that except for Brock. That way there would be no need for him to come back.

pokeaussie37

Bahahahahaha love the fact Alder's Brock Mach 2.0, but also appreciate the message he sends. Excellent episode.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I thought that this episode would make me appreciate Alder a lot more, but I think it had the opposite effect. He seemed really reductive in the anime, as well as a little too goofy for my tastes. I liked his Bouffalant, though. I didn't really care for the species before this episode, but I liked that Alder's Bouffalant kept him in check at times. I honestly thought that the Gigalith at the end of the episode was redundant; the writers spent the entire episode making Alder seem goofy, and then they decided to show that he really does know a lot about Pokemon? I didn't like it; it was reminiscent of what we learned about Bruno in Kanto.

Janovy

Banned
I thought that this episode would make me appreciate Alder a lot more, but I think it had the opposite effect. He seemed really reductive in the anime, as well as a little too goofy for my tastes. I liked his Bouffalant, though. I didn't really care for the species before this episode, but I liked that Alder's Bouffalant kept him in check at times. I honestly thought that the Gigalith at the end of the episode was redundant; the writers spent the entire episode making Alder seem goofy, and then they decided to show that he really does know a lot about Pokemon? I didn't like it; it was reminiscent of what we learned about Bruno in Kanto.
I think you missed the point.

Alder is a good Champion. He gets serious when the situation calls for it (as evident by the Gigalith situation) which basically showed us that he is quite capable but he simply enjoys life in other times which fits his character since he did advise Trip and the others to enjoy life as well.

Also, you remember Bruno? Wow.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think you missed the point.

Alder is a good Champion. He gets serious when the situation calls for it (as evident by the Gigalith situation) which basically showed us that he is quite capable but he simply enjoys life in other times which fits his character since he did advise Trip and the others to enjoy life as well.

Also, you remember Bruno? Wow.

It just felt like Alder was too goofy in the anime; the Alder that I pictured in my mind after playing the games was a wanderer who would at times act in a philosophical manner. And yes, I did remember Bruno because he shares several characteristics with Alder.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
It just felt like Alder was too goofy in the anime; the Alder that I pictured in my mind after playing the games was a wanderer who would at times act in a philosophical manner. And yes, I did remember Bruno because he shares several characteristics with Alder.

This pretty much sums up my feelings.

In the games he seems like a benevolent old man champion. In the anime he is a lecherous perv, who is shown not to take his position seriously.

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
I felt really bad for Trip in this episode. Adler didn't even make an effort to help and remember any of the things when Trip was smaller. I felt that trip should have stayed around longer though. However, I think this episode brought some tension between Ash and Trip more than before. Trip's idol being an idiot like Ash and Ash thinks that's okay as long as you do your best and crap. If that was the case, then Ash would have won a league by now. Nice episode. 9/10

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
I'm glad that Ash finally meet the champion in Unova. Alder's a great one. But I didn't expect Alder to have some traits of Brock when it comes to flirting with Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny. But its okay. He's pretty funny.

3D992

The Living Hologram
Thats funny... The guy that says "Look, its Alder!" has no eyes like Brock.