• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Visits Kiawe! (954)

Rohanator

wow ya I just finished the last 5 minutes of this video as I couldn't last night, and wow as if they skipped their battle... That's a little sad since there were pointless scenes of kids hugging their moms lol. Although I am excited for subs to find out more about how Kiawe got his ring.
I thought the kid side story was sweet but yea I think they could've condensed the episode's content together a bit to fit in a quick battle. Guess they just didn't feel like animating it (but again it just shows that Kiawe's battle relationship with Ash is not important to the narrative).

From what I understood Kiawe simply got the ring from his grandfather (possibly as a memento, not sure if they confirmed his death), and beat Olivia to prove he was worthy of it.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
That's only if Ash has a main Alolan rival. He didn't have any major rival in AG.

Either Morrison or Tyson (bleh) were supposed to be. Come Sinnoh, Barry was not even bothering much with him and was extremely Paul-sexual. Besides the rival disaster in Unova, he got his Kalos rivals in SSS and Alain, both who came in late into the picture. He did not even touch Trevor or had a satisfying rival battle against Tierno after Goodra first appeared.

No matter what, Ash's major rival will always be another anime-made character.

(Unless the writers decide to utterly bastardize the Aether Foundation plot and they see it like a HUGE opportunity to have Gladion's main be a certain popular mon in his in-game team. And no, I doubt Hau will be the main rival.)

Kiawe will surely be reduced to Z-move training partner material.

I thought the kid side story was sweet but yea I think they could've condensed the episode's content together a bit to fit in a quick battle. Guess they just didn't feel like animating it (but again it just shows that Kiawe's battle relationship with Ash is not important to the narrative).

Reminds me of Frogadier VS. Greninja!

(I bet Frogadier won.)

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Either Morrison or Tyson (bleh) were supposed to be. Come Sinnoh, Barry was not even bothering much with him and was extremely Paul-sexual. Besides the rival disaster in Unova, he got his Kalos rivals in SSS and Alain, both who came in late into the picture. He did not even touch Trevor or had a satisfying rival battle against Tierno after Goodra first appeared.

No matter what, Ash's major rival will always be another anime-made character.

(Unless the writers decide to utterly bastardize the Aether Foundation plot and they see it like a HUGE opportunity to have Gladion's main be a certain popular mon in his in-game team. And no, I doubt Hau will be the main rival.)

(I bet Frogadier won.)

this comment makes me realize why they probably use anime only rivals for Ash a lot of the time. He is an anime only character (for the most part) so his rivals, I guess, should be too.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

No matter what, Ash's major rival will always be another anime-made character

(I bet Frogadier won.)
Yes, I agree with you on that one. I also think that Ash's Alolan rival will most probably be an anime-only one.

Janovy

Banned
Out of Gladion, Hau, and Kiawe, who does everyone hope is the main and strongest rival that Ash will want to beat?
Gladion.

I find Hau too much like Ash and I don't want another buddy-buddy rivalry. I want actual conflict.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Gladion.

I find Hau too much like Ash and I don't want another buddy-buddy rivalry. I want actual conflict.

Yeah, even both of them would be nice :D if it was a threeway EQUAL rivalry, that'd be nice lol.

Also I forgot to mention, I love how big this episode made the island look and how vast the fields were and what not. The game makes them seem very puny compared to it, understandably why though.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Yeah, even both of them would be nice :D if it was a threeway EQUAL rivalry, that'd be nice lol.

Also I forgot to mention, I love how big this episode made the island look and how vast the fields were and what not. The game makes them seem very puny compared to it, understandably why though.

Yeah based on the games I seriously doubt Hau is going to be an equal rival. I would reallly love to see an Ash vs Gladion rivalry though.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Out of Gladion, Hau, and Kiawe, who does everyone hope is the main and strongest rival that Ash will want to beat?

I want it to be Kiawe for some reason. I guess it's because I like on how their rivalry is established since their first interactions so I want to see them get through their issues and feel their fiery ecstatic relationship. I only know the very bare details about Gladion and Hau but they can always be Ash's rivals as well. But Kiawe will be Ash's main rival unless they switch it to Gladion/Hau like they did in the very last part of XY(&Z).

k6666

Pikachu Fan
10/10 episode
i love the sis con side kiawe have :3 so cute
ash and mudbray so cute :3 i want him to have one

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
The egg disappeared from the ending. Not sure how to feel about that :/

Janovy

Banned
The one thing I kept thinking throughout this episode is: "wow, Kiawe is busy." So when he doesn't have school, he has to work? I mean that's a lot of work to be done.

I also wonder if the flashback with Kiawe's grandfather is hinting towards his future role as a Trial Captain.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Bit late to the party with this episode because I've been gone for a week.

Very straightforward episode that's basically summed up perfectly by the title lol, the kid's side plot was really non-existent and didn't really mean anything apart from Ash giving the Skull grunts another Z-Move beatdown. Kiawe's mum looks like a discount Olivia tbh. Speaking of which a nice sneak peek of her during that flashback. Bewear's just chilling.

Was nice that they kept Kiawe and his family on Akala too.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Kiawe is a siscon :D .It was a good episode and also we saw a bit of Olivia when Kiawe battle her.Rowlet used Breakneck Blitz successfully and got tired after that.It will get used to Z-moves through practice.Team Skull grunts were pushovers once again and Gigavolt Havoc was greatly animated.I wanted to see a full-shown battle between Kiawe and Ash but it seems we will have to wait for that.

Last edited:
So I was a bit late to the episode, but when I got there I could say that I really enjoyed some parts, but felt a tiny bit let down on other parts.

I love Kiawe and his background. Working as essentially a farmer and delivery boy by day, and a Pokemon Fire-type Z-move trainer by night? That is one of the coolest things ever. I also really enjoyed the origin of his Z-ring, since I tend to find mentor/father-figure relationships and motives pretty adorable. The way he feels overprotective of his sister is pretty damn cute as well. Also OHMYGOD YOUNG KIAWE AAAAAGGGH MY HEART!!!

However, I didn't entirely enjoy one thing. Ash seems to be mastering Z-moves super-quickly. I was annoyed initially on how they gave him Electrium-Z so early as I wanted to see Ash work to get it, but the fact that it's been his first attempt of using Gigavolt Havoc since the grand trial and he's already practically mastered it (Pikachu wasn't even exhausted)... it bugs me quite a bit. Z-moves have shown to be tough to master, but Ash just did a Gigavolt Havoc for the first time without fail. I would've been interested in seeing a small arc later on of Ash trying to master the Z-move, but at this point just about all the Z-move components have been handed to him on a silver platter.

Oh and I was hoping to see Kiawe use his Z-move again so I got a little sad when he only used it in the training scene.

Also you bet I'm annoyed that I didn't get to see that Ash vs Kiawe battle. You can't just tease me like that!

Overall the episode had some scenes I seriously enjoyed, while there were a couple of others that felt a little stale. Doesn't stop it from being my current favourite episode though!

In future episodes I think it'd be interesting to see a rivalry between Ash and Kiawe. Considering Kiawe worked hard to get the Z-ring and Firium-Z' while Ash didn't do anything to get his Z-ring and got to use a Z-move before he even completed a grand trial, it would be nice to see a few sparks flying about that. They are also the two out of the group who are the strongest in battle by far, so I think they'd be great as rivals.

Welp, onto the beach episode next!

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
However, I didn't entirely enjoy one thing. Ash seems to be mastering Z-moves super-quickly. I was annoyed initially on how they gave him Electrium-Z so early as I wanted to see Ash work to get it, but the fact that it's been his first attempt of using Gigavolt Havoc since the grand trial and he's already practically mastered it (Pikachu wasn't even exhausted)... it bugs me quite a bit. Z-moves have shown to be tough to master, but Ash just did a Gigavolt Havoc for the first time without fail. I would've been interested in seeing a small arc later on of Ash trying to master the Z-move, but at this point just about all the Z-move components have been handed to him on a silver platter.

IMHO, Ash's ability to master Z-moves quickly might depend in part on the Pokémon with whom he is using them. I'm not too upset that Pikachu, his strongest Pokémon and the one with whom he has the strongest bond, would be able to use a Z-move without being exhausted afterwards. That just goes to show how experienced Pikachu is and how close he is to Ash.

Even though Rowlet is very fond of Ash, it was absolutely exhausted after using Breakneck Blitz (which would leave it rather vulnerable in battle). It highlights the difference in skill/strength/power between Pikachu and Rowlet, but it might also hint that Ash's bond with Rowlet needs to be strengthened.

I imagine Ash will have difficulty mastering Z-moves with a Pokémon like Litten, who butts heads with Ash and will probably continue to do so even after Ash catches it (assuming, of course, that he does).

Janovy

Banned
*Ash has issues mastering Z-moves* = he is such a noob, RESET RESET RESET
*Ash masters Z-moves with no problem* = I don't like how easy he's doing it, he's coming across like a Gary Stu

In other words, people are going to complain no matter what.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
All we need to see is another character using Z-moves for the first time with relative ease and it'll be fine.

Besides, Pikachu and Rowlet were tired (Rowlet was exhausted).

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
All we need to see is another character using Z-moves for the first time with relative ease and it'll be fine.

Besides, Pikachu and Rowlet were tired (Rowlet was exhausted).

When was Pikachu tired?