• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Visits Kiawe! (954)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Rowlet is Moses--parting the waters with Breakneck Blitz. :D

Sweet mother of Tapu Koko, Pikachu! :eek: That's right, teach those Team Skull grunts who's boss by blowing them up!

I do like that Rowlet was so much more exhausted after using the Z-move than Pikachu was. It was a nice way to emphasize the difference between the skill levels of the two Pokémon.

It's nice to see that Kiawe actually lives on Akala Island (the only Trial Captain who still lives in his in-game location), and I enjoyed seeing his family life. His sister is absolutely adorable! I love how overprotective he is of her--freaking out when he sees her carrying an empty milk jar, worrying about her carrying a milk carton. And then that adoring look on his face when she sees him off in the morning (and Ash's reaction to said adoring look)...

Between that little kid Haru's reaction to seeing Pikachu to Hoshi's (Kiawe's little sister's) reaction to seeing Pikachu, I like how we're actually seeing that, yes, Pikachu is a very popular Pokémon in Alola. It's kind of cute.

So, can anyone explain Kiawe's family to me? I got it that he had a younger sister, but were the other two his parents? Cause, they don't look very old. Though I suppose that's not all that surprising, with Lusamine being 40 and looking loke mid-twenty.

Yes, Kiawe introduced the other two people as his mother and his father (or, to be more specific, his "old woman" and his "old man"--very informal way to refer to one's parents).

Also, did his Charizard belong to his grandfather (????) or was it his from the beginning? Just a thought, since it appeared in the flashback and Turtornator wasn't there, which is his ace/partner.

If I understood correctly, Kiawe actually said that his Charizard used to be his grandfather's partner Pokémon. That's actually rather interesting. Firstly, that explains Charizard's battered wings--it's a veteran battler, and probably quite old. Secondly, this indicates that some Ride Pokémon are retired battle Pokémon who are just too old and/or too injured to keep battling. It's nice to see that they still have jobs, even after their "retirement."

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Rowlet is Moses--parting the waters with Breakneck Blitz. :D

Sweet mother of Tapu Koko, Pikachu! :eek: That's right, teach those Team Skull grunts who's boss by blowing them up!

Lmao omg, that's exactly what I was thinking when Rowlet used Breakneck Blitz. Then after it was all tired, I said out loud, "really Rowlet...maybe you need some of that Growlithe food!!" :D

Yeah, Ash and Pikachu weren't messing around, OHKO.

Other things I liked seeing:
- Mallow's quick appearance
- Bewear still basically trolling Team Rocket
- Going to Akala, Kiawe's family and some backstory about him.
- Rotomdex actually taking a photo
- The fact that Ash wasn't really phased by the kick the to face, what phases him is the amount of Mudbray that they had to clean/groom.
- Kiawe's reaction to his sister, then accidently slamming the jug on Pikachu's tail, and everyone getting shocked (was hilarious). Plus Pelipper's reaction. :p

tuxego

Is this the first time we are introduced into religion in Pokemon? I take they were saying thanks for the food at Kaki's house.

Ash and Hala were praying to Tapu Koko in the last episode too. I really like seeing this aspect of the Alola culture and I'd like to see more of its religious practices, but considering what show this is they'll probably only lightly touch upon it and keep it as neutral as possible.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Is this the Pikachu glorification season? He just seems to be unstoppable.

The first half of the XY season was basically his show, and then he came back as a league wrecker because the others couldn't keep up with him. *glares at Goodra and Noivern*

If Rowlet ever evolves into his last stage, you can bet Pikachu will take a backseat...and possibly repeat the same progress during the final legs at the expense of making the other members useless.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
- Kiawe's reaction to his sister, then accidently slamming the jug on Pikachu's tail, and everyone getting shocked (was hilarious). Plus Pelipper's reaction. :p

I got a laugh out of that, too. Poor Pikachu! Kiawe was so busy concerned with his sister carrying a two-gallon milk jug that he totally didn't pay attention to what he was doing. Kiawe is normally so stoic and serious that it's really nice to see his more vulnerable side. (He even introduced his sister as "my cute little sister, Hoshi.")

On an aside note, I think we found the pancake house that will be hosting the race in the upcoming episode: http://imgur.com/etzAdvM. Nice touch there, animators.

Also, I'm so glad Team Rocket didn't ruin interrupt this episode by trying to kidnap Pikachu and/or Kiawe's family's farm Pokémon. I much prefer these sporadic Team Rocket appearances over their being shoehorned in as a source of conflict.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The fact Ash visited Akala so casually kind of tells me there really won't be a normal journey in every island, or they're trying to tell us that these islands are equally small as their in-game counterparts.

Hope you like the eventual Decidueye standing next to his classroom desk.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Can't really study when you're travelling *shrugs*

If Ash does travel through Akala though, maybe he'll do what he's been doing for twenty years and scrounge a place to live from Kiawe.

Red and Blue

Decent filler episode. I loved it when Mudbray spit mud in Ash's face

The fact Ash visited Akala so casually kind of tells me there really won't be a normal journey in every island, or they're trying to tell us that these islands are equally small as their in-game counterparts.

I had the same thought, lol.

mabelgkim

Did that Pelipper say yes in human?
Is this the first time we are introduced into religion in Pokemon? I take they were saying thanks for the food at Kaki's house.

Mildly disappointed we only saw Olivia's foot.
That Bewear. what's its status on TR, tell us writers.

Speaking of them, trolling us about Kaki v Ash battle...

I see a dub edit coming in this episode

Janovy

Banned
I am curious how Kiawe defeated Olivia. He has a single fire type (as far as we know) whereas Olivia uses Rock types.

I know types don't matter in this anime, but still. xD

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Rowlet's Z-move was nice to see though it happened in the early part of the episode, which was a bit irrelevant to the later part of the episode. Rowlet was a bit tired after using Breakneck Blitz, but I have a feeling that it has pretty much mastered it.

knightwolf09

So Kiawe has a sister complex, and the Kahunas will take place as trial captains. Interesting.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I am curious how Kiawe defeated Olivia. He has a single fire type (as far as we know) whereas Olivia uses Rock types.

Turtonator is pretty bulky, and I don't think we know its full moveset yet (Turtonator learns some moves that are good against Rock types, namely Earthquake, Bulldoze and Flash Cannon).

Frozocrone

Miraculous!

If XY taught us anything, it's that Fire/Dragon types can solve anything with duragoncuraw

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
I got a laugh out of that, too. Poor Pikachu! Kiawe was so busy concerned with his sister carrying a two-gallon milk jug that he totally didn't pay attention to what he was doing. Kiawe is normally so stoic and serious that it's really nice to see his more vulnerable side. (He even introduced his sister as "my cute little sister, Hoshi.")

On an aside note, I think we found the pancake house that will be hosting the race in the upcoming episode: http://imgur.com/etzAdvM. Nice touch there, animators.

Also, I'm so glad Team Rocket didn't ruin interrupt this episode by trying to kidnap Pikachu and/or Kiawe's family's farm Pokémon. I much prefer these sporadic Team Rocket appearances over their being shoehorned in as a source of conflict.
Yeah, I heard the word "kuwaii" being used a few times this episode, couple times for Pikachu (I need to learn more words/phrases lol).

That's a good catch. I mean I seen it, but I wasn't thinking about the pancake episode then.

Me too. Although I do appreciate comedic moments like they showed with Bewear. ;)

uber gon

Accept Change
So in the show Charizard is not an exclusive flying Ride Pokémon. Which is neat. Now I want to see someone try to ride Braviary. Or maybe a Salamence.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
So in the show Charizard is not an exclusive flying Ride Pokémon. Which is neat. Not I want to see someone try to ride Braviary. Or maybe a Salamence.

If anyone does ride on Salamence, it's either Hunter J style or not at all.

Soniman

Break the Limit

I think the theory of the school being a "hub" while Ash goes to other locations in Alola and then goes back to the school is probably the closest correct theory

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Okay'ish episode

Kiawe's backstory and that small Olivia appearance was neat, but other than that it was pretty dull, more like a standard episode.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Alright, I'll write this before forgetting. I'm enjoying this episode a bit too much. The episode review/good points cometh:

-Rockruff and Ash yawning, it was very cute and Pikachu called out to Rockruff to play!! :D

-Rowlet can use the Normal Z Crystal. Rowlet uses it, it looked like it was gliding through the water and made a path... it takes so much energy (nice side effect). Very cool!! I kinda think that once Ash masters a Z Move, he can use it with all of his Pokémon who knows a Normal type move.

-Kiawe comes down with some Moo Moo Milk! His Charizard seems like it's in its' prime age. Pikachu waving to it and it watching Pikachu was sweet. And of course Ash wants to see the Pokémon.

-They're delivering it around Melemele Island (Ash even visits Mao chan!!! :)) Off to Akala Island they go! Confirmed that Kiawe lives there but also... TEAM ROCKET?! Their scene was kind of funny. Meowth saw them yet it felt like a dream. I like his absent minded expression.

-Rotomdex asking for a picture as usual and Kiawe's dad makes that tough pose. Kiawe's mom is very gorgeous, Rotom should've took HER picture!

-Big bro to the rescue!! So Kiawe's cute little sister's name is Hoshi. And she was carrying a bucket the size as her! :p Very dangerous indeed. Oh yeah and that ice cream is very big! Stupid Americans and their big products... that ain't normal sized here.

-Return of the pink rubber gloves!

-Poor Mudbray! It really hurt and Ash pulled on it really hard! :( I have more sympathy on the Mudbray than Ash, it wasn't a random attack. Ash thinks he's done but he has to clean 60 more Mudbray! :eek:

-Don't let that little girl stand you up! Can't believe you're still not done. Sly grin Hoshi. :p

-The food looks soooo delicious!! Let us pray to the Oriyoni... whoever that is.

-Kiawe's grandpa gave him his Z Ring after defeating the Island Queen with Bakugames? Oh yeah and Kiawe's fire dancing skills!! Another outfit for Ash.

-Geez Ash, asking for a battle already? Wait until tomorrow. Everyone's tired. :/ That cute Pikachu yawn :3

-Kiawe scared me!!! No seriously, he didn't have to yell at her! Then he places that heavy stuff on Pikachu's tail! I'm shaking... :(

-BWHAHAHA!!! Kiawe trying to look cool for his little sister yet is flattered. Older sibling code. He's so protective.

-That kid excited over his mother's birthday was important? I didn't bother listening other than he needed that milk. Poor Pelipper. That looked like it hurt. Glad that Ash is okay and checked on it. Wait, do none of them know how to treat a Pokémon wound?! :eek:

-Team Skull appears!! :D Ash joins in wasting a Z move on the radical Team Skull. I can't believe they fell back into their motorcycles. Yeah, you guys better vroom away! Kiawe praised Ash!!!

-The kid's wish is a battle. I thought they were going to battle but watching Ash battle Kiawe is better. The kid's mom like his Rowlet cake. It seems comfy sleeping with Bewear. Next episode, they have to be serious and stop lodging around.

Bad points:

-Kiawe didn't have to scare me half to death with his over protective yelling.

-I don't care about that CoTDs. The only thing it did good was give Ash a battle with Kiawe.

Overall, great episode. I really enjoyed this episode. Kiawe's family is really cool, I like all of them. Team Skull was... well wannabe threatening but at the same time, they were a bit of a threat. We also learned more details about Kiawe and how he got his Z Ring. Oh yeah and Rotomdex didn't talk very much in this episode which is always a plus. :)

Last edited: