• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash Visits Kiawe! (954)

When was Pikachu tired?

for once I agree with you! The lack of Pikachu looking particularly seriously bugged me. It could be explained with "Ash has a strng bond with Pikachu" and all that, but then why does a Pokemon like Turtonator (which Kiawe has a strong bond with) still need to train up its Z-move? And even something invalidates that argument, I won't really stand down on my point until it's shown that other trainers who happen to have strong bonds with their Pokemon can master Z-moves faster.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
PIkachu was panting after Breakneck Blitz.
That was probably due the exhaustion of the battle. He wasn't even tired once after using Gigavolt Havoc.
for once I agree with you! The lack of Pikachu looking particularly seriously bugged me. It could be explained with "Ash has a strng bond with Pikachu" and all that, but then why does a Pokemon like Turtonator (which Kiawe has a strong bond with) still need to train up its Z-move? And even something invalidates that argument, I won't really stand down on my point until it's shown that other trainers who happen to have strong bonds with their Pokemon can master Z-moves faster.
The is nothing surprising with Pikachu mastering Z-moves quickly. That thing has 6 regions of training and experience, you know.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
That was probably due the exhaustion of the battle. He wasn't even tired once after using Gigavolt Havoc.

Check again. Still panting after levelling the forest in SM002. And he wasn't panting or showing sweat after Koko's attacks.

The is nothing surprising with Pikachu mastering Z-moves quickly. That thing has 6 regions of training and experience, you know.

The thing also has some of the biggest power swings in anime history. Also, I'm not sure mastering Z-moves comes from experience in battle. It comes from experience of trying to do a Z-move. And Pikachu did it freakin once before ep11.

Remix2

It definitely weird that kwaie have to train for awhile to get z move prefect, and yet somehow ash master it on his first try.

Then again it doesn't help that rowlet got it down off screen.

Janovy

Banned
It definitely weird that kwaie have to train for awhile to get z move prefect, and yet somehow ash master it on his first try.
Remind me again why Kiawe is training? He got the Z-move perfectly the first time we saw him use it.

Also, friendly reminder that at the beginning of this episode Ash was going to practice using Z-moves he had also already mastered.

So what is your point exactly?

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Check again. Still panting after levelling the forest in SM002. And he wasn't panting or showing sweat after Koko's attacks.

Nah, only for a second or two. Nothing serious like in the case of Rowlet.

Remind me again why Kiawe is training? He got the Z-move perfectly the first time we saw him use it.

He probably trained a while to reach that level of power, and since he wants to become "the Fire of Alola" (or something) he probably is trying to train more to make the Z-move even better.

Also, friendly reminder that at the beginning of this episode Ash was going to practice using Z-moves he had also already mastered.

It feels a little stale that all the Z-move training is being done off-screen. I would've liked maybe a couple of minutes of Gigavolt Havoc training instead of the Breakneck Blitz training tbh.

Unrelated to what I was just saying, but did Kiawe take on a Rock-type grand trial with only Fire types? And one of them being Flying as well? And he won? Damn is he a strong trainer. At least they showed that it took him ages to reach that power level....

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Which is why I wrote Rowlet was exhausted.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Which is why I wrote Rowlet was exhausted.

Well you wrote that Pikachu and Rowlet both were exhausted, while the case was a lot different for the two of them. Rowlet was way more exhausted.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!

SkittleBox

Fanfiction writer
*walks in late with Starbucks* Yay, finally got time to watch this.

Dang, Kiawe's busy. Does he ever sleep? I also like how we saw his family, and I found it cute that they look similar. Kiawe's little sister was by far a highlight, she was so cute! I like the backstory, I guess we'll be seeing Olivia in the series because of this.

Is that trio of Skull Grunts the TRio of Alola? Speaking of TRio, no Team Rocket focus!

Seeing more Z-Moves was cool as well, but I would've expected Ash and Pikachu to practice Gigavolt Havoc beforehand... but oh well. The Z-Move is still cool.

The episode was still a little basic with being a slice-of-life episode, but I enjoyed it. I'll give this episode a 7.6/10. Onto the obligatory beach episode!

*walks in late with Starbucks* Yay, finally got time to watch this.

Dang, Kiawe's busy. Does he ever sleep? I also like how we saw his family, and I found it cute that they look similar. Kiawe's little sister was by far a highlight, she was so cute! I like the backstory, I guess we'll be seeing Olivia in the series because of this.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw that. He must run on like 5 hours of a sleep a day... that's less than me, and that's saying something...

But I agree on the backstory and family bit! I enjoyed both quite a lot, especially how Kiawe is so protective of his sister. Stay until after the credits and there is one of the cutest scenes ever. His sister tries to cook a pizza over the fire, but Kiawe stops her and commands Turtonator to try instead. It ends up burning the pizza, and his sister tells him off. I laughed quite a bit after that.

Is that trio of Skull Grunts the TRio of Alola? Speaking of TRio, no Team Rocket focus!

I'm personally waiting to see if they get a slogan. And I did enjoy minimal TRio this ep, because what they did was all they needed to do! Also, James was so cute!

Seeing more Z-Moves was cool as well, but I would've expected Ash and Pikachu to practice Gigavolt Havoc beforehand... but oh well. The Z-Move is still cool.

I second this. At least show us him training with Pikachu to do the move... also I miss Kiawe doing Z-moves in battle...

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I wouldn't call this a slice-of-life episode. They've been working on introducing the side characters a bit more lately, each in their own episode. We got Lana with her Popplio and the balloons, we got Sophocles in the shopping mall, then we had the episode with Lillie and her egg, then they broke it up a bit for the trials to keep the variety going, and now they went to Kiawe. It wouldn't surprise me if we get an episode dedicated to Mallow very soon.

Rohanator

*Ash has issues mastering Z-moves* = he is such a noob, RESET RESET RESET
*Ash masters Z-moves with no problem* = I don't like how easy he's doing it, he's coming across like a Gary Stu

In other words, people are going to complain no matter what.
Yeah, people are gonna complain no matter what, but one side of those complaints is valid, and that's the latter. Maybe later Z crystals like the Pikachu and Decidueye specific ones will take more work but right now the whole thing has pretty much been brushed aside, like there's no actual problem to solve. Yeah Rowlet gets tired after a Z move but that's just gonna change via normal training, getting to see an actual process of Ash mastering Z moves would've been more interesting.

Battle development doesn't really seem to be a priority for SM, which is fine as long as the episodic stories stay fun, but for some people it's going to be an issue, let it be so instead of being so damn defensive every time someone voices their opinion.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't think showing detailed training sequences is their main priority at the moment. I think they primarily want to establish the series a bit more and introduce the side characters properly, maybe get Ash another pokémon, get James his first pokémon, before they go into more detailed stuff and showing training sequences. Besides, hasn't pokémon had almost all training sequences primarily off-screen since like, ever? Even in XYZ we primarily caught glimpses of it, the Ash-Greninja stuff being pretty much the only exception.

It's a trade-off. They show Ash practicing Z moves at the start of the episode to tell the audience this stuff doesn't just fall out of the sky and that Ash actually works for this stuff, but they also want to keep a bit of pacing in the story and actually get some progression. They never state that Pikachu hasn't practiced Gigavolt Havoc since the last episode, that is assumed by some people here. I think they imply otherwise by showing a glimpse of the training session on the beach (not directly for Pikachu but still, and they talked about their practice last episode as well for Breakneck Blitz). There are a lot of side characters in this series, and introducing them all simultaneously in the first episode runs the risk of not making any of them memorable (like the dwarves in the Hobbit), so they need some more time for the audience to get to know them. I'm pretty sure that's exactly why they're doing these episodes now, so we get to know them better and actually start to care a bit. If I ran the series I would probably make the same decision, skip out on showing too much training sequences but leave that up for the imagination, and spend some more time on the characters so the audience will care and sympathise when stuff happens with them, once the plot actually starts rolling.

Jason3b93

Kiawe is awesome in the anime. I thought he would be a sort of rival, but he's very friendly and cool. He's my favorite character of Ash's companions so far in Alola

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Yeah, people are gonna complain no matter what, but one side of those complaints is valid, and that's the latter. Maybe later Z crystals like the Pikachu and Decidueye specific ones will take more work but right now the whole thing has pretty much been brushed aside, like there's no actual problem to solve. Yeah Rowlet gets tired after a Z move but that's just gonna change via normal training, getting to see an actual process of Ash mastering Z moves would've been more interesting.

But, in a way, isn't that kind of what we're seeing? Right now, Ash and his Pokémon can only use a Z-move once (it's implied it's once per battle, although it could also be once within a certain period of time), and while it no longer seems to exhaust Pikachu, it certainly exhausted Rowlet. One can assume that, as Ash and his Pokémon grow stronger together, not only will it using a Z-move no longer exhaust them, but they will also be able to use a Z-move more than once per battle although the latter would be a split from the games.