• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ash VS Bea! Overcome Octolock! (1128)

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
People have to stop thinking pikachu is infallible. It did great against hitmontop, loses to the octo. That’s it, it wasn’t its day. It’s different lose to a pokemon that’s clearly a veteran than, you know, to a snivy.

Nice touch with riolu showing respect for pikachu. For some reason, I think it was like a kid helping an elder citizen...

The draw was an acceptable result. I’m surprised that Ash actually did some aura training with riolu before the match, I almost thought it had learned endure. By now, I think only Riley actually used aura this way with his lucario.

The battle, though, not the best one. I’m glad I wasn’t that hyped. Also, Bea refers to Ash as “the riolu trainer-san” will be her thing from now. Can’t tell if she respects Ash or only riolu.

Wat. a. beetch.

That’s it!

Okay, guys, you got another man enlisted, I hope riolu will be released.

Last edited:
Empoleon also damaged and confused Pikachu prior to Tapu Koko...
Which is equalized by Naganadel damage Tapu Koko. Both Pikachu and Tapu Koko got hit by 1 attack prior to their battle. While the attack Tapu Koko received is type resisted, Pikachu have rest prior, so Pikachu and Tapu Koko start in equal ground.

Meanwhile, Pikachu fight Graploct without rest and already tired + damaged from his battle against Hitmontop. Graploct is fully fit and have enough warm up from sparring with Poliwrath.

Last edited:
The way things are now, Ash's Riolu when it becomes a Lucario. If it can already hold it's own against Bea's Grapploct better than Korrina's MEGA Lucario, it's no contest.
We only know that Grapploct defeated M-Lucario but we don't know if M-Lucario was previously damaged by another Bea Pokémon, something similar to what happened with Pikachu and Hitmontop

I can see a battle this way
-Bea random Pokémon (Hitmontop Maybe?) defeat Machoke/Other Korrina Pokémon
-Hitmontop vs Lucario
-Finally Grapploct defeats M-Lucario

Last edited:
I think Bea will not be a recurring rival, especially because we need to see other Galar leaders, they will see each other in Hyper Class and that's it, probably Lucario Dinamax vs Machamp

I would dare to say that Bea used her possible strongest Pokémon, Machamp, so maybe Bea felt that Korrina was too easy

I don't like Korrina but I don't think her M-Lucario is that weak, especially after getting stronger

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I think Riolu is stronger now... And it's not even in its peak...
No, Mega Lucario is stronger. Riolu only would be stronger than Lucario. And Ash's Lucario would be stronger than Korinna's Mega Lucario.

Tapu Koko used a Z-move as well... And oh, Pikachu performed better against Leon's Charizard...
Because Pikachu is inconsistent until the end of series. Pikachu doing great against Tapu Koko and doing good against Charizard but losing to Grapploct and struggling with Raichu obviously means Pikachu varies in strength this series until Top 8.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
maybe she challenged really high ranked trainers
Well, the anime and the flavor text of the games imply that Galar trainers are supposed to be tough, competitive, & basically the best of the best in terms of battles, so it does make sense

nuzamaki90

Very happy with the battle, couldn’t help but smile the whole time Pikachu was absolutely embarrassing Hitmontop. Shocked it ended in a tie but I was hoping for a G-Max Rematch in Galar anyway so this is great too!

I will say, and I might be bias just because Bea is one of my favorites, but I really appreciate the writers turning her into a rival for Ash which I was hoping for as soon as she was first revealed. Female rivals don’t get enough love in this series so to give Ash two who give him such a challenge whenever he battles them is a joy. I love that they showed off Bea’s more laidback side, because no matter what, she’s still just a kid too who grew up with a strict lifestyle.

And Chuck! What a guy. To be as laidback as him in the Fighting-type profession must be great, and him remembering Ash and how he got sweeped by Bayleef was a treat.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Solid episode. Ash's and Bea's rivarly seems like it could be really fun. Ash isn't being made a complete and powerless loser nor Bea is this OP rival who will humiliate Ash every single time. Could be one of the most interesting rivarlries depending on how later battles play out.

Two things made the episode for me:

- Sobble. First on his trainer's (Goh's) head conforting him and then spending all the time on Raboot's head. If Instagram existed, Goh could post with the caption "Sobble chilling while watching a battle with big bro Raboot". Bonus points he neither cried nor turned invisible. PROGRESS!

- The main treat being the pic showing OG Ash fighting Chuck. Gotta say Kanto Ash looks quite cool on Journey's artstyle. Remembering Beyleaf is quite a treat and makes me more hopeful for the return of Ash's reserves.

After Pikachu sparring with Riolu, did Ash chose Dragonite as G.Farfetch'd sparring partner?

Yup

Wat. a. beetch.

That’s it!

Okay, guys, you got another man enlisted, I hope riolu will be released.

Great seeing to see you joining the gang, my old friend. We welcome you with open arms :)

Gotta hand it to show making us go from hating to releases to actually wanting one lol

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The voice acting was honestly where this shined the best. Pikachu honestly sounded like he wanted to vomit during the battle.

As for Riolu vs. Grapploct, it was framed really well. Like a Samurai fight, it was really short with a long section to build up the dramatic tension while the actual main body of fighting is really brief and intense.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I’m surprised that force palm was what actually worked AND apparently left a paralyzing. I just thought it would be used on each tentacle instead two point blank attacks.

Great seeing to see you joining the gang, my old friend. We welcome you with open arms :)

Gotta hand it to show making us go from hating to releases to actually want it!
For now, I’ll just wait and see. Whatever happens in the end, I’m positive Ash will left everyone not named pikachu (and Mimey) at the greenhouse, anyway.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I enjoyed this episode for the most part! Chuck was my favourite part, and how they even showed the bayleaf battle was great. I also wished to see Poliwrath in battle when we first got the info on Chuck being in the episode, and we got that. So thats nice.

Pikachu vs. Hitmontop was a good showing, hitmontop is a fav of mine so I always love seeing the species, and then it's always satisfying when pikachu does well in a battle.

Speaking of doing well in a battle, I felt like Ash's strategy for Pikachu vs Octopus was literally just to have pikachu lose and Riolu go up against it lol. It just seemed so bad, I honestly wanted to just skip into where Riolu starts battling instead of watching that part. Pikachu just getting slapped around was just brutal to watch. It went from "oh this is a satisfying pikachu battle" to "what the F is going on here with pikachu". But Bea episodes are mostly Riolu focus so it is what it is.

Riolu vs Octopus was alright, felt a little too quick for my liking. The draw didn't move me in any way, and I honestly think Ash just barely losing would have been more emotional imo, like if octopus just got up but barely at the end there. Otherwise when Riolu evolves into Lucario, I really hope octopus isn't her strongest pokemon because Ash will knock her out of the top no problem.

OH and Chinchou is one of my favourites too, so two top 20 favs in one episode woo

ShadowForce720

We only know that Grapploct defeated M-Lucario but we don't know if M-Lucario was previously damaged by another Bea Pokémon, something similar to what happened with Pikachu and Hitmontop

I can see a battle this way
-Bea random Pokémon (Hitmontop Maybe?) defeat Machoke/Other Korrina Pokémon
-Hitmontop vs Lucario
-Finally Grapploct defeats M-Lucario

Actually we don’t know if Grapploct was the Pokémon Bea used to beat Korrina’s Mega Lucario, as it was never confirmed what Pokémon she used to beat Megs Lucario.

If I had to guess it was probably Machamp, as it would be a good way to hype her Machamp up. Also considering when they showed Bea beating Mega Lucario they didn’t show what Pokémon she used that would imply that the characters Pokémon wasn’t Grapploct, because there would be no reason to not show it in the flashback if it was.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Ash did not beat Bea as many were saying and I liked that. Also dat Bayleef cameo was amazing! Good episode overall.

TheCrazyMaster

This was a very solid episode. I really liked the fact that it took a little while for Chuck to recognize Ash, considering that as a gym leader he's probably faced many opponents since then. I also liked that we not only got a flashback of their battle, but that we also got to see BBB (Best Bae Bayleef) in said flashback, and combined with the fact that we recently met Ash's Alola mons I'm more hopeful that Ash's other older Pokemon will make appearances as well.
While I'm starting to get annoyed that Pikachu and Riolu are getting too much focus (even if it's somewhat justifiable for the latter), I do feel like it made sense for both of them to be in the same battle considering this gives us a pretty good idea of how far Riolu has come. That said, the fact that they were present while training gives me hope that they will come more prevalent in the future, which I think is pretty well supported by the fact that Ash's Dragonite will have a role in the darkest day plot, and the recently released Farfetch'd song has given me hope for a G-Farfetch'd focused episode considering the Magikarp and Slowpoke songs were played in the episode dedicated to them.
I am however, annoyed that we didn't even get a glimpse of how Ash got back into the Super class, and I feel like the (more) episodic format does hurt the progression.
As for the battle itself, I honestly thought that the Pikachu vs Hitmontop battle was the best battle, as I thought it was the best showcase of each trainers skills on the battlefield, including a new way of using electroweb. I also liked that this battle resulted in a draw, considering some of the concerns that the Bea rivalry arc was going to end fairly quickly. Speaking of, while I have my quibbles with Journeys, one of the things that I really like is how they've been treating the gym leaders. Now to be clear, the anime has made it clear in the past that beating gym leaders is a pretty impressive feat (as shown whenever Ash talks about his badges and people get really impressed, or how the Pokemon league committee is strict about the prestige of gyms), but I feel like the fact that the Pokemon world championships puts them in a position where they pit themselves against "regular" trainers, other gym leaders and other high ranking trainers gives the viewer a clear message that Gym Leaders are respectably powerful trainers, and that's why I'm really glad that a gym leader is truly being treated as a rival to Ash. I also think showcasing Bea going toe to toe with Chuck gives the viewer a clear idea of just how strong Chuck really is, especially when you take Bea's rank into consideration.
I also liked that Bea becomes a sweet pea when she eats sweets, and hopefully this remains the trigger moving forward.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Bayleef may have showed in a flashback, but the real good treatment is her returning to fight, which...I doubt.

A shame Bea didn't smile first because she wasn't defeated, but because she likes cake.

Man, at this point, we're never getting rid of Bea soon enough to debut the rest of the Galar Gym Leaders.

Red and Blue

A draw then. At least Ash and Bea can settle the score in the future with Bea using GMAX Machamp.

Also not surprised Riolu didnt evolve here. That's definitely saved for Eternatus